    algorythm

    If you want subscribe...
    hiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiii

    tiresia2, Feb 9, 2007

  2. Don't forget:
    - flash hot shoe (ISO, not proprietary)
    - tripod hole below the sensor center
    - AA batteries
    - filter screw
    - standard mechanical cable release (cheaper than a remote, from the
    producer point of view)

    <dream>
    And this: http://www.picotux.com/ or this:
    http://www.gumstix.com/waysmalls.html to automatically upload photos to
    flickr (or to serve them on the Web directly from the camera).
    </dream>

    I think you can create an online petition about this "optimal" camera.

    Ciao

    Cyrus (the /interested/ virus)

    --
    I love to be mailed just by smart people:
    perl -we 'print "\12\142\145\162\156\141\155\141\100\151".

    cyrusthevirus, Feb 10, 2007

  3. tiresia2

    moonsotti Guest

    Why do I f**ing need a "flash hot shoe" ? Every second poster seem to
    lament why do the modern compact P&S cameras not have a flash shoe. As
    for me, I never use external or inbuilt flash. I am not a professional
    photographer who beautifies the reality and makes money out of it. I
    am an amateaur who shoots the scenery as it is and wants to be
    inconspscious at the social gatherings. I am carrying the P&S camera
    in my pants' pocket. There is simply no space for an external
    flash ! ... never will ! If you old farts need a camera with a "hot
    flash shoe", then get yer hands off the P&S cameras ! Get yourself a
    dSLR, and screw it your your life's content with and without flash !

    moonsotti, Feb 10, 2007
  4. tiresia2

    J. Clarke Guest

    If your ideal camera is one that specifically does not have a hot shoe
    then perhaps you'd care to share with us what features _you_ would
    want in an ideal camera instead of just insulting people for the Hell
    of it?

    J. Clarke, Feb 10, 2007
  5. I dunno. I find TTL flashes to give much better results than generic auto
    flashes.
    AFAIK, no digital camera has this, though several do have a propritary cable
    release, and others have an infrared cable release.

    Michael Meissner, Feb 11, 2007
  6. In other words, you like red-eyes in people and green-eyes in dogs and cats.
    To each their own.

    Michael Meissner, Feb 11, 2007
  7. tiresia2

    Jack Mac Guest

    My "kill file" isn't half full!

    Jack Mac, Feb 11, 2007
  8. tiresia2

    ASAAR Guest

    Congratulations from doing the best impersonation of a dimwit that
    I've seen in a good long time. :) Hint: built-in flashes rarely
    beautify anything. That's one of the big reasons why many P&S
    owners looking to upgrade to better P&S cameras often place hotshoes
    near the top of the list when comparing features.

    Now that's completely unbelievable, that *you* could possibly be
    inconspscious(sic) at social gatherings. Even sealing your mouth
    with DuckTape would blow your incognito, but at least it might help
    to protect your credibility for at least several more minutes. In
    other words, to maintain a respectable appearance at social
    gatherings, you'd have to be silently unsocialble. <g>

    And thank you for not saying "I am an armature", even though it
    would have little bearing in this discussion! (p.a.)

    ASAAR, Feb 11, 2007
  9. tiresia2

    moonsotti Guest

    I own a Panasonic LX1, and I eagerly await Sigma DP1. In other words,
    I want a pocketable P&S with an APS-C sized sensor. I want a low
    noise, capability to reproduce contrast areas and the bunch of other
    things associated with a big sensor.

    moonsotti, Feb 11, 2007

  10. The hot-shoe is not just a flash contact, but also a way to add gizmos
    to a camera.
    I guess many macro lovers would find this one useful to control shades
    and lights:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...752&is=REG&addedTroughType=categoryNavigation
    While a bubble level is a must for "stitchers":
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...s&Q=&sku=263729&is=REG&addedTroughType=search

    Well, I think nowadays it would be cheaper to make an IR remote than to
    drill a precise hole ;-)
    I remember many years ago there were mechanical timers like this one:
    http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/con...ls&Q=&sku=63958&is=REG&addedTroughType=search
    to control long exposures (in the range of minutes or hours) and
    timelapse shootings.
    Today this would require just some lines of code into the firmware, so I
    don't see why it must be limited to "pro" cameras.

    Cyrus

    cyrusthevirus, Feb 11, 2007
  11. tiresia2

    J. Clarke Guest

    So you'll put up with a slow fixed focal length lens to get an APS-C
    sensor?

    J. Clarke, Feb 11, 2007
  12. tiresia2

    Bill Funk Guest

    Personally, I'd wait to see how that DP1 performs before I'd "eagerly
    await" it.
    The pocketability comes at the expense of the lens: a 16mm (28mm
    equiv) f/4 lens. To me, that puts it in the category of a P&S used for
    snapshots. My FX-01 does that, is smaller, and has a lens that's far
    more versatile. (Not that I'm trying to sell any FX-01s)
    Since that sensor isn't available in a camera yet, we'll have to wait
    and see how it actually works.

    --
    Rudy Giuliani began seeking
    the GOP presidential nomination

    Bill Funk, Feb 11, 2007
  13. tiresia2

    Ray Fischer Guest

    No you don't.
    All you need is $10,000,000 and you can go ahead and have it built for
    you. If you really want it bad enough.

    Ray Fischer, Feb 11, 2007
  14. The Fuji S2 would take a standard mechanical cable release. Dunno about
    the S3 or S5, but I had the S2 for several years.

    David Dyer-Bennet, Feb 12, 2007