    lans are on the same subnet, witht a win2k server running AD and DNS on one
    segment.

    Thoughts?

    Mark, Feb 15, 2005

  2. Mark

    Mark Gamache Guest

    You need to make sure that both wireless devices support multi-client
    bridging. Many low end wireless bridges impersonate a single MAC address
    instead of just passing frames based on the MAC table. Technically calling
    them bridges is a lie. They do not meet the technical definition of a
    bridge. Damn marketing people! Its similar to NAT, but takes place on
    layer 2. This can wreak havoc.

    Assuming the bridges are true bridges, your setup will work well, barring RF
    interference or bandwidth issues. Remember, 802.11 B and G are half duplex
    and there is a lot of protocol overhead.

    Cheers,

    Mark Gamache, Feb 15, 2005

  3. Mark

    Mark Gamache Guest

    You are 100% correct. Unfortunately a similar issue happens at the network
    layer as well. That is, 3rd party firmware and marketing lies... most of
    the "wireless routers" are not routers, the are NAT gateways. Only a few
    have routing capabilities. The NAT gateway will at best allow a single
    computer to be in its DMZ an be seen by the WAN side.

    The problem lies in buying consumer grade wifi gear. The manufactures seem
    to want to make up their own terminologies that are just plain lies. I
    think these manufacturers do their customers and themselves a disservice
    with this.

    --
    Mark Gamache
    Certified Security Solutions