WD My World Edition NAS as a VPN server?

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Adrian C, Aug 29, 2010.

  1. Adrian C

    Adrian C Guest

    There is apparently a hack to install the OpenVPN server component on
    WD's 'My world edition' linux based NAS thingy.

    http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/openvpn

    Anyone done this, and feel comfortable about the security of this
    solution? Private IP thoughput issues? I can serve 1.3Mbps out of my
    local network, the intention is to stream standard definition video
    through the tunnel.

    Finger hovering on the Amazon 'Buy' button at present, 1TB for £99

    Or should I get an Atom based PC, one of the Acer Revo Linux things -
    and hang a large SATA drive out of the back. £189.99 currently + cost of
    a large 3.5" drive.

    Trying to limit my electricity bill for things running 24/7.

    Adrian C, Aug 29, 2010