    Can this be done?

    TIA

    Louise

    Louise, May 26, 2004

  2. hosts file in windows.

    whereas badsite=127.0.0.1

    research the rest for yourself.

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, May 26, 2004

  3. Louise

    Martin Guest

    have you tried adding it to your local Hosts file and directing it to
    127.0.0.1

    cheers

    Martin, May 26, 2004
  4. Louise

    Louise Guest

    Thanks - didn't know about doing that.

    Louise

    Louise, May 27, 2004

  5. I post pretty much the same advise a half hour before this guy does and
    I don't receive a thanks?

    --
    Colonel Flagg
    http://www.internetwarzone.org/

    Privacy at a click:
    http://www.cotse.net

    A: None, he just defines Darkness? as the new industry standard..."

    "...I see stupid people."

    Colonel Flagg, May 27, 2004
  6. Louise

    zz Guest

    Louise wrote:

    Before the browser goes to the ISP DNS server it looks in the Hosts file
    to translate the requested URL into an IP number. If a matching URL is
    listed in the Hosts file the request never goes out to a DNS server. The
    Hosts file can be used to stop requests to ad servers also.

    g-w

    zz, May 27, 2004
  7. Louise

    Martin Guest

    I was annoyed when I saw yours, there were no replys when I posted or I
    wouldn't have posted the same thing twice. It's probably our NNTP server,
    it's not the fastest updating in the world :(

    Martin, May 27, 2004
  8. Louise

    Louise Guest

    A VERY BIG THANKS - sometimes I read something and have the wrong
    message on the screen when I reply :)

    But a serious thanks - I think the community of generosity on newsgroups
    is one of the most precious things about the web.

    Louise

    Louise, May 28, 2004
  9. Louise

    Louise Guest

    Thanks - it's definitely the way to go in the future.

    Louise

    Louise, May 28, 2004
  10. Louise

    Steven V.A. Guest

    Grab a premade hostsfile from www.pricelessware.org
    (the internet category I believe)

    HTH
    Steven

    Steven V.A., May 28, 2004
  11. Louise

    cody2382

    Joined:
    Jun 13, 2011
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    I've been having trouble editing my hosts file but I found a program called 123BlockMe. Norton says that it's safe so I'm thinking about using it... what do you guys think?

    cody2382, Jul 18, 2011