Watford Electronics. Cowboys or am I unlucky?

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by demon news, Feb 26, 2004.

  1. demon news

    demon news Guest

    Hello folks,
    I recently bought a mobo, agp graphics card, hard drive and other bits to
    make my son a PC for his birthday.
    When I got the parts and assembled them I got the beep codes for a video
    adaptor error.
    I removed cleaned and refitted the card,same result. I swapped the card with
    my own pci graphics card.
    It immediately burst into life. A message on screen told me that the bios
    was faulty, which annoyed me as I bought a built and supposedly 'tested'
    mobo/cpu/memory combo.
    I tried to contact Watford, 4 emails to technical and customer services, 2
    feedback, 2 faxes, no reply. Tried ringing but it's impossible to get to
    support this way.
    Does anyone have any ideas about the PC problem, or how the hell to get them
    to reply?
    Sorry about the cross-posting, but I'm a bit desperate.
    Ta,
    WM

    demon news, Feb 26, 2004

  2. demon news

    Lazarus Guest

    Did you pay by CC?

    If so send a letter to visa claiming a refund and send the faulty kit back
    to watford registered!

    Lazarus, Feb 26, 2004

  3. You need to pin down what is wrong:

    CPU - confirm that is working properly
    o Verify the CPU is seated correctly
    o Verify the heatsink is seated correctly to the CPU

    RAM - confirm that is working properly
    o Verify RAM is seated correctly
    o Try & run a RAM test if you can get that far - memtest etc
    o Try & test the RAM in another motherboard if need be

    Graphics card - confirm YOUR card is working properly
    o Refit it in another known working motherboard
    o Confirm it is working correctly in the motherboard you have

    Graphics card - their graphics card
    o Refit it in a known working motherboard
    o Confirm it is working properly in that motherboard

    You need to positively identify which component isn't working.

    Dorothy Bradbury, Feb 26, 2004
  4. demon news

    Paul Guest

    Been there, done that (with several comapnies, though not with Watford
    Electronics).

    Faulty or not, distance Selling regulations allow you to return goods for
    any or no reason within 7 days.

    http://www.oft.gov.uk/Consumer/Your+Rights+When+Shopping+From+Home/default.htm

    Especially important "How to Cancel".

    Get your money back the easy way.

    Credit card payment? Dispute the payment with the card company as they are
    jointly and severally liable. You get the money back from the card company
    and leave them to reclaim from Watford - not your problem.

    e.g. http://www.financesearch.co.uk/credit_cards.html
    but do google around

    HTH

    Paul, Feb 26, 2004
  5. demon news

    demon news Guest

    The new build runs OK with my old PCI card, but not with the new AGP, so I
    think the mobo/cpu/mem are OK, at least the newly re-set bios reports them
    properly. But I will try re-seating them.
    I don't want to try the new graphics card in my computer, as it is a few
    years old, first generation AGP and the voltages for AGP (x8) have changed
    since then, I think. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Wouldn't want to fry it
    or my PC.
    Still doesn't explain why they haven't even bothered to acknowledge my
    problem. I first contacted them the day after delivery, it's now 10 days
    since! They claim 48 hour replies.
    WM

    demon news, Feb 26, 2004
  6. demon news

    Jock Guest

    That was a serious error, buying from Watford. I wouldn't buy
    a box of matches from them.

    Try to get a refund via your credit card company.

    Jock, Feb 26, 2004
  7. demon news

    Mike Guest

    There is enough past info/past posts around about watford. The watfraud
    joke has been going for years
    If people still buy from them and it all goes wrong they only have
    themselves to blame imo.

    Mike, Feb 26, 2004
  8. demon news

    TMack Guest

    What motherboard, what graphics card??????? What cpu and what FSB
    settings????? What did the "message on screen" say EXACTLY???? Need more
    information before any opinion can be given. Lots of possible reasons for
    your problem - hardware may not be faulty.

    Tony

    TMack, Feb 26, 2004
  9. demon news

    Trevor Best Guest

    I've not used them since they turned their web site into a web shite but
    b4 that they were very good, prompt and good aftersales service, gave
    regular updates on RMA status, etc.

    Trevor Best, Feb 26, 2004
  10. demon news

    CB Guest

    Did you clear the CMOS ? Some MoBo's need to be cleared before booting up.
    BTW more info required preferably.
    --
    Craven Birds

    Bird sightings based around 'Craven' Skipton, North Yorks.
    http://cravenbirds.mysite.freeserve.com/
    http://mysite.freeserve.com/cravenbirds

    CB, Feb 26, 2004
  11. Why cross post like this ?

    Keep postings in related groups!

    /Mats

    Mats Karlsson, Feb 26, 2004
  12. demon news

    Paul Hopwood Guest

    Fairly typical. They're commonly referred to as "Watfraud".

    If you've been unsuccessful in contacting them by other means you
    should send a letter via recorded delivery to their registered
    address. State you are rejecting the goods under The Sale Of Good Act
    and require a refund. Insist they contact you within a given period
    from the date of the post mark (be reasonable, 7 days should suffice)
    to arrange collection of the goods otherwise you will take further
    action.

    If you paid by credit card your best course of action would then be to
    contact the card issuer. Your credit card company are jointly liable
    and will have procedures for dealing with this kind of dispute.

    Paul Hopwood, Feb 26, 2004
  13. demon news

    Malev Guest

    <snip>

    Cowboys

    Malev, Feb 27, 2004
  14. demon news

    Alan Norris Guest

    Don't get caught out as I did - Savastore is Watford under another
    name.

    I only got a refund for incorrectly supplied goods after involving my
    CC company.

    Alan

    Don't reply to this e-mail address - messages will be deleted unread. To reply to me take away the news and substitute alanc

    Alan Norris, Feb 27, 2004
  15. Would I buy a PC from Watford Electronics? Nope.

    Do a google newsgroups search for "Watford Electronics" and "Mrs B"

    Graham

    Graham Wilson, Feb 28, 2004
  16. demon news

    Huge Guest

    They used to be good.

    25 years ago.

    Huge, Feb 28, 2004
  17.
    Malcolm Knight, Feb 28, 2004
  18. demon news

    Odie Guest

    No - don't do that.

    Send the letter to VISA claiming a refund, but let Watford come and
    collect the goods.

    Odie

    Odie, Feb 28, 2004
  19. demon news

    BrianW Guest

    Very late reply (apologies - not been here recently) but my dealings with
    Watford have always been most satisfactory. My Aries PC I bought from them
    over 5 years ago is still going strong. Would that the same could be said
    for Windows 98, which is slowly falling apart at the seams!

    When I bought a new graphics card which turned out to be too advanced for my
    ancient PC, they happily offered a refund - plus advice on which cards would
    actually work.

    Brian

    BrianW, Mar 1, 2004