    creating without any warning it was going to do that!

    I'm erasing it from my hard drive! That's bad software design at it's
    worst!

    salgud, Oct 1, 2005

  2. salgud

    Antigone Guest

    oop....what a shame.
    salgud 写é“:

    Antigone, Oct 2, 2005

  3. salgud

    salgud Guest

    Well, no real data lost, only the catalog. I got the camera last night,
    and it comes with ZoomBrowser which seems, so far, to work fine, if a
    little clunky with the interface.
    I was a little concerned that Foto Album, which had a nice feature set
    and was easier to use than ZoomBrowser, was really a come-on to get
    users to print their pics with their service, so it was really just to
    get people hooked! I imagine it's backfiring, like it did with me,
    because it does lock up sometimes, and then erased all my catalogs. If
    they think they're hooking people in to using it so they'll get their
    prints done with them, and then the software fouls up, they won't be
    getting many customers!

    salgud, Oct 3, 2005
  4. salgud

    Kitt Guest

    Try Picasa 2.

    Kitt, Oct 3, 2005
  5. salgud

    salgud Guest

    I have tried Picasa 2. At the time, I didn't like that it automatically
    put all my photos in chronological files, and because it went and found
    every image on my computer to catalog. I don't need all my clip art in
    a photo catalog! ZoomBrowser kind of does the same, but at least the
    old stuff on my hard drive is in separate folders than the new stuff.
    At least I can just ignore it. I liked Foto Album because it let me
    decide how to organize them.
    The main reason I'm going with ZoomBrowser for now is that I think that
    most of the other photo cataloging software extant today will be gone
    in 5 years. One or 2 will emerge as the "winners", just like with other
    software. And, just like with other software, it's not always the best
    product that wins, but the one with the best marketing. (Microslob has
    just come out with their version! Frightening!) I don't know which one
    that will be, but I don't want to have to re-catalog all my images when
    the one I'm using is no longer compatible with the newest computers and
    OS's. My current thinking is that Canon will have lots of us customers
    using ZoomBrowser and will try, at least, to not leave us hanging. Who
    knows? I can only hope that if I pick the wrong one, someone will build
    a bridge from mine, if it's not the winner, to the winners'.
    I'm open to ideas on who the winner(s) will be. This same logic applies
    to those who are storing their images online. What happens when the
    company you trusted your images to decides that it's not profitable
    anymore? An honest company would give notice and help their customers
    get their pics off their servers before they shut down. But that would
    cost a lot of money. Would be more less costly to just shut down
    without warning. So where does that leave their customers?
    I'm glad that my pics are just pics. I won't be making my livelihood
    from them, so if they're lost, I just lose some pics. Sad, but hardly
    earth shaking. Pro's, like my oldest son, have a real problem in terms
    of archiving their work. It's hard to know at this point what to do to
    archive images so they'll be there 50, 100, 200 years from now. Truth
    is, most of them won't be. That's why they'll bring so much money on
    Antiques Roadshow, 2083, at the Galactic Convention Center on Alpha
    Plububus, in the Antair system!

    salgud, Oct 3, 2005
  6. You could try www.safesnaps.com. I think you're right about only one or
    two albums and online sites winning, but these guys are just doing
    backup only, no sharing, and since it's subscription based I figure
    they have a better chance than most.

    rodgeorgeharrison, Oct 4, 2005
  7. salgud

    salgud Guest

    As I said, I'm not all that concerned about saving my photos for
    posterity. No one else would want to see them, they're just everyday
    stuff in my life. Me, Ruckus (my dog), my kids, my house, houses in my
    neighborhood, my orchids, etc. At least for the moment, it's not worth
    if for me to pay to have them stored. Maybe in a few years I'll see it
    differently.

    salgud, Oct 4, 2005
  8. Ah, I've got to save the pics of the kids at the very least. If I lose
    those I will surely feel the pain. Just kidding honey ... honest! ;-)

    rodgeorgeharrison, Oct 4, 2005