    binary Guest

    as above, will appreciate if there is a diagram to show me.

    thanks.

    binary, Feb 28, 2004

  2. :as above, will appreciate if there is a diagram to show me.

    "Hub and spoke" refers to a configuration in which you have several
    remote sites (the "spokes") that never connect directly to each other:
    instead, when they want to communicate, they send all the traffic through a
    single central site (the "hub").

    The terms are by analogy to wagon wheels (or bicycle wheels.)

    A B
    \ /
    \ /
    C---- HUB -----D
    / | \
    / | \
    E F G

    In order for A to communicate with F, A has to talk to the hub, and the
    hub passes the messages on to F.

    The opposite of "hub and spoke" is "fully meshed" or at least "partly meshed".
    Imagine drawing an additional line in the diagram, directly connecting
    D and G, so that when D and G wanted to talk, they talked directly instead
    of going through the hub. For example, D and G might be the Auditing
    and Payroll departments, and might happen to be in buildings across the
    road from each other. It might make sense to put in a direct link
    between them as well as the links back to corporate headquarters in
    a different city. But it might not make sense to put in a direct link
    between the Advertising department in Alabama and the shipping
    department in Winnipeg.

    Walter Roberson, Feb 28, 2004

  3. binary

    binary Guest