washed out in photo editors

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Pat, Aug 9, 2004.

  1. Pat

    Pat Guest

    Hi,

    I'm a rank beginner, so please have mercy.

    I have a couple slides I scanned that look fine in Windows Photo/Fax
    Viewer (or whatever it is you get when you click on a .jpg in XP).
    However, one of them looks totally washed out (like 5 shades lighter)
    and streaky when I open it in a photo editor - I used Arcsoft and
    Gimp. It's got a dark background, but I've tried others that also are
    dark and they look OK in the editors.

    Now, this particular slide is from a rock concert, Ektachrome 400
    pushed to 800, so it's not your average snapshot. But how come it
    looks OK in the standard MS viewer, even when I blow it way the heck
    up??

    And what's the picture **really** look like, if I ever get around to
    putting it up on a Web site?

    Thanks in advance,
    Pat

    Pat, Aug 9, 2004

  2. (Pat) wrote in @posting.google.com:
    I assume that the MS Photo/Fax viewer is trying to be clever and
    compensate for (what it thinks) is a too dark picture. It is a rather
    annoying program.
    It shall look like you want it to look :)

    I recommend you to get some kind of image manipulation program.
    There are good and rather cheap ones. You can download irfanview
    for free, but it is really a viewer with some possibilities to
    manipulate. Photoshop elements is useful, and not all that expensive.
    As a matter of fact, you get it very often for free when you buy
    some printing or scanning hardware.

    Now - back to the topic. Almost all pictures needs some kind of
    simple manipulation to look good. The most common is "levels", a
    tool that assures you that white is white and black is black.
    Some color balancing is also nice, but that is harder. Some light
    sharpening just before printing is sometimes good also. Maybe there
    are dust spots. Nice to remove them.

    /Roland

    Roland Karlsson, Aug 9, 2004

  3. Pat

    Don Guest

    I agree - get PS Elements. You may also have a color space conflict. Until
    you get good at it, make sure everything is set to sRGB color space. It's
    possible that the scanner driver is not set that way, al;though usually most
    stuff defaults to that. sRGB is what you'll want to display on the web.

    Don

    Don, Aug 9, 2004