Was "Ready to graduate to DSLR"; now close to deciding

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by Freedom55, Sep 21, 2005.

  1. Freedom55

    Freedom55 Guest

    Of all the D-SLRs that I have looked at (and felt), the one that is most
    appealing to me right now is the Canon Digital Rebel XT. Reasons: large
    CMOS sensor, fast shutter time, great images, multiple lens choices and
    excellent reviews. I am not sure that I would go with the standard
    18-55mm lens since I have read mediocre reports regarding its
    performance (the EF-S 17-85 mm would be desirable if the wallet permits).

    I plan to keep my P&S for those moments when a quick snapshot will do.

    Opinions welcomed. I would however be interested in some "real world
    experience" with this camera.

    Ron

    --
    And it really doesn't matter if
    I'm wrong I'm right

    Lennon & McCartney

    Freedom55, Sep 21, 2005

  2. Freedom55

    Eatmorepies Guest

    I have one - it's excellent. I've bought mine some expensive lenses but I
    have found that with stopping down the kit lens can do a good job. Also,
    I've got better at using the camera and could probably get better pictures
    out of the kit lens than I did in the first week of ownership. It doesn't
    add much to the purchase cost and you might consider getting the camera with
    the kit lens and using it for a few weeks before choosing other lenses.

    I wouldn't buy an S lens, in a couple of years many users are likely to
    upgrade to full size sensor bodies and won't be able to use their S lenses.
    If you have the cash buy into the L series lenses. Otherwise the 28 - 105
    and 28 -135mm might be of interest. You could then use the kit lens for the
    wide angle end. I have the 28-105 f3.5/4.5 USM which does a good job (and is
    cheap) but doesn't have IS - there is a 28-135 IS lens that seems to get
    approval. No doubt more information will be along in a while.

    John

    Eatmorepies, Sep 21, 2005

  3. Freedom55

    alex Guest

    Ron,

    1 week ago I came to the same conclusion. However I did go for the 350D
    (Assume Rebel XT is its US name) & 17-55mm pack as I got the lot for a
    bargain.

    Am going back into local shop tomorrow/Friday to try out a 75-300mm and a
    90-300mm to see what's what.

    So far I'm very pleased. My Kodak 6940 was great with its 10x Zoom but this
    is even better, learning more about the basic exposure principals as the
    days go by.

    Go for it...

    Alex

    alex, Sep 21, 2005
  4. Freedom55

    Stacey Guest

    If you have the cash for this camera and the 17-85, it would be a good
    choice.

    Stacey, Sep 21, 2005
  5. Freedom55

    Freedom55 Guest

    Sorry I believe Rebel is the North American product name. Elsewhere it
    is the 350D. I think I've got that right!

    Also I have to say thanks to all those who replied to my previous post.
    I would have said it in that post but it was so busy I thought it might
    get lost.

    Ron

    Freedom55, Sep 21, 2005
  6. I'd suggest that you buy the body only (black) and buy a EF 28-135 IS. You
    could probably do for right round $1200. If you can swing it spend the
    extra $100 bucks for the kit so you'll have something wider then 28mm.
    Before you buy anything, however, I strongly suggest that you go to the
    local camera shop and hold the cameras in your hand and make sure you
    comfortable. I planned to buy an XT until I held it. It was just too small
    for me and I don't have big hands. I waited a few more months and saved my
    pennies for a 20D. Now that I have it I'm glad I did. The 20D feels good
    in my hands even though it's quite a bit heavier.

    On other thing to keep in mind when making this purchase. You're wiser to
    invest your money in lenses over bodies assuming you don't need features
    that come on the more expensive bodies like the 5D or the 1D. You see if
    you really get into this you'll replace or add additional bodies as money
    provides but your lenses will remain the same.

    --

    Rob

    "A disturbing new study finds that studies are disturbing"

    Robert R Kircher, Jr., Sep 22, 2005
  7. Freedom55

    SMS Guest

    This is a good point, but OTOH, Canon lenses have a ridiculously high
    resale value, and Canon's dominance in D-SLRs mean a big market for used
    lenses. I see used lenses selling on Craigslist for about what a
    knowledgable buyer can pay for them new.

    SMS, Sep 22, 2005
  8. Freedom55

    Bill Guest

    If your wallet doesn't object, definitely grab the 17-85 IS.

    It's quite a lot better than the low-end 18-55 kit lense. It's sharper,
    has higher resolution, it's sharper, it has decent wide-angle, it's
    sharper, it's has more reach for portraits or macro, and it has IS to
    help with camera shake and slow shutter speeds. Did I mention that is
    was sharper?

    While some will say the 18-55 is an ok lense for $100, and I tend to
    agree, but it's nothing compared to the 17-85 or the good L-glass. The
    17-85 is one of the price/performance gems from Canon. Along with the
    17-40 L, 70-200 L, and 50 f/1.8.

    Canon has released a new 70-300 IS lense as well. If it's as good as the
    MTF's suggest, then the 17-85 and 70-300 would be an ideal 2-lense set
    for many people. The set would cover wide angle, snaps, portraits, and
    long wildlife shots, all with IS, reasonable cost, and compact size. You
    could easily pack that stuff for almost any excursion.
    I have a little Canon A75 for those times too. But even so, I just
    recently started to take the XT with a small lense with me whenever I
    can get away with it. It's so much better, even at small social events.
    It's the greatest thing since sliced bread!

    Hehehe...seriously, it's quite good. I chose it over the 20D because
    it's smaller, lighter, and has virtually all of the same features and
    performance.

    Bill, Sep 22, 2005
  9. Freedom55

    Steve Wolfe Guest

    Of all the D-SLRs that I have looked at (and felt), the one that is most
    If you get the 17-85, forget the 18-55. However, if you *don't* get the
    17-85, then DO get the 18-55. It's not the best lens, but having the width
    does come in very handy in a number of situations. And if you ever do get
    the 17-85, the 18-55s sell on ebay for just about as much as they cost in
    the kit, so you'd get a full return...

    Also plan on a 50mm f/1.8. It's almost a crime not to get one.

    steve

    Steve Wolfe, Sep 22, 2005
  10. Freedom55

    Bill Guest

    I don't know about "a couple of years".

    The cost of full frame sensors is going to be high for quite a while. I
    don't expect to see full frame in consumer bodies ($1000-1500) for many
    years. Canon has committed to making APS-sized sensors (hence the EF-S
    lenses) for the consumer market, and full frame for the advanced amateur
    and professional market.

    Don't get me wrong, I'd love a full frame digital body so I could
    utilize my L glass better. But I'm not out to make a living from my
    stuff, so I'm happy with the smaller sensor until prices are more
    "reasonable".

    Having said that, if the girlfriend went out and bought me the Canon 5D
    for Christmas, I wouldn't object.

    :)
    I agree...the L-glass is good stuff. Even the f/4 models are excellent
    performers and reasonably priced.
    I agree with all of the that too.

    :)

    Bill, Sep 22, 2005
  11. Freedom55

    Bill Tuthill Guest

    You sound like a Canon salesperson! Jeepers creepers.

    The 17-85 is not that much better than the 18-55, although it has IS.
    I could recommend not paying $600 much for a lens that will never work
    with full frame DSLR, should you ever buy one when price comes down.
    If you're going to pay a $500 premium over the 18-55, get the 85/1.8
    prime for $345 and another lens of your choice.

    Bill Tuthill, Sep 22, 2005