    Tholen sound this much like a badly written attempt at an Eliza-type
    program? I'm starting to wonder if this is the real Tholen, or merely
    an uncanny simulation created as an act of UPA." -- Dick Hertz

    Lady Chatterly, Nov 3, 2004

  2. Lady Chatterly

    jda^fx Guest

    Well, sometimes Kaspersky AV updates every 3 hours, that says something
    about Norton doesn't it
    jda^fx

    jda^fx, Nov 3, 2004

  3. Lady Chatterly

    Joel Rubin Guest

    ....Live Update says you don't need new definitions.

    I've gotten lots of email attachments recently that were caught only
    after I had explicitly downloaded the current definitions
    ("intelligent updater") even though "Live Update" said I didn't need
    new definitions.

    And they also got past my ISP's copy of NAV for mail servers or
    whatever.

    IMHO whoever is deciding when LU should update definitions ain't being
    agressive enough.

    If you want a second opinion you can get a DOS-based AV scanner from
    ftp.f-prot.com and it weighs in at < 4 megs unzipped and sometimes
    their definitions which cover a particular virus come out earlier than
    NAV's.

    Joel Rubin, Nov 3, 2004
  4. Lady Chatterly

    Fred Guest

    Does that make you jealous?

    Fred, Nov 4, 2004
  5. I don't know for sure if it's true or not, but someone told me that
    the automatic live update only did definition updates and that you had
    to initiate a manual update to get programme updates.

    Just a couple of days ago, after a task bar message popped up saying
    my virus definitions had been updated, I did a manual live update and
    got a number of program updates - it actually did one which told me to
    reboot and then to run liveupdate again to get more updates - which it
    did. So I'm convinced.

    So I do a manual update every few days just to be sure to be sure.....

    Peter Wilkins, Nov 4, 2004