    and my computer (Dell Pentium 4, 2.8 GHZ, 512 RAM) slowed down tremendously.

    So I have uninstalled it from my computer, just as I have turned off
    Microsoft's insane Automatic Updates, which I reported about a month ago.

    Julie P., Jan 12, 2005

  2. Julie P.

    edard Guest

    Yep, figured it could not be all that good. If it bogs down a P4 2.8 I
    can't imagine what it would do to this antique.

    edard, Jan 12, 2005

  3. Julie P.

    Unk Guest

    Yes you can. Uncheck all the auto features. The problem is that during the
    install, it placed an entry in the "Run" section of the registry. You need to
    remove it manually.
    Once the registry key is removed, you can run the program whenever desired.
    You need to right-click the tray icon and select "Shutdown..." to exit.

    Unk, Jan 12, 2005
  4. Sounds like high quality, well thought out software.

    =?ISO-8859-1?Q?R=F4g=EAr?=, Jan 12, 2005
  5. Julie P.

    PuppyKatt Guest

    I have not had any trouble with it. It just ran, as I have it set to scan
    at 2:00 a.m. daily. I have not noticed any slow-downs, running XPHome, SP2,
    256mb RAM.

    PuppyKatt, Jan 12, 2005
  6. Julie P.

    sethra Guest

    Julie P. wrote in
    Apparently, it makes changes to your HOSTS file also, without informing
    you of this.

    I haven't used it, and can't verify this, but it has been discussed on
    grc and web forums.

    Unfortunate, because Giant Antispyware (which is what MS purchased and
    modified) was an excellent antispyware app.

    sethra, Jan 12, 2005
  7. Julie P.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | Julie P. wrote in |
    | > You cannot prevent it from automatically doing a scan. All you can do
    | > is adjust how often it does this scan (daily, weekly, monthly). Very
    | > intrusive.
    | >
    | > Also, when it scans, it is a resource hog. I didn't realize it was
    | > running, and my computer (Dell Pentium 4, 2.8 GHZ, 512 RAM) slowed
    | > down tremendously.
    | >
    | > So I have uninstalled it from my computer, just as I have turned off
    | > Microsoft's insane Automatic Updates, which I reported about a month
    | > ago.
    |
    | Apparently, it makes changes to your HOSTS file also, without informing
    | you of this.

    Didn't in my system. And it runs fine on my 750Mhz CPU...

    Toolman Tim, Jan 12, 2005
  8. Julie P.

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Julie P. mused:

    | You cannot prevent it from automatically doing a scan. All you can do is
    | adjust how often it does this scan (daily, weekly, monthly). Very
    | intrusive.

    Erm, Tools >> Spyware Scans >> Manage Spyware Scan Schedule ... uncheck
    Daily, and *check* Disable schedule.

    mhicaoidh, Jan 12, 2005
  9. Well...yeah...there is that. :)

    Oxford Systems, Jan 12, 2005
  10. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Uhh. Does not work.

    Julie P., Jan 12, 2005
  11. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    No, does not work.

    Julie P., Jan 12, 2005
  12. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Thanks! I will try this!

    Julie P., Jan 12, 2005
  13. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    when mine ran at 2 AM, I had about 10 MIE 6 browser windows open, OE6, MS
    Excel 97 with 4 spreadsheets open, MS Word 97 with about 15 documents open,
    some document folders open, as well as all the usual background processes
    running. There was a noticeable slow down. Not unbearable, but annoying
    enough. I thought it was my ISP or that I had too many windows open.

    Julie P., Jan 12, 2005
  14. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    you must have not had too many windows open.

    Julie P., Jan 12, 2005
  15. Julie P.

    Julie P. Guest

    Moreover, Microsoft AntiSpyware Beta found only 2 other spyware files that
    SpyBot, Ad-Aware, CWShredder, and Spyware Blaster did not find or block. And
    it takes 12-20 minutes to run (although I was doing a full scan). Not worth
    all the trouble to find two measly spyware programs. And it did not find the
    tracking cookies and negligible objects that Ad-Aware finds all the time.

    I think I will wait until it gets out of Beta so these bugs can be ironed
    out.

    Julie P., Jan 12, 2005
  16. Julie P.

    Robin Guest

    I just downloaded this (or so I thought) when the download from MS Update
    was finished, nothing happened. I can;t even find it on my computer. Where
    is the prog located?
    Thanks,
    Robin

    Robin, Jan 13, 2005
  17. Julie P.

    Toolman Tim Guest

    | > | > | Julie P. wrote in | > |

    | > |
    | > | Apparently, it makes changes to your HOSTS file also, without
    informing
    | > | you of this.
    | >
    | > Didn't in my system. And it runs fine on my 750Mhz CPU...
    | >

    | you must have not had too many windows open.

    True - only OE6. I wasn't really working at the time...just reading email.

    Toolman Tim, Jan 13, 2005
  18. Julie P.

    Tony Guest

    Tony, Jan 13, 2005
  19. Julie P.

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Julie P. mused:

    | Uhh. Does not work.

    There may be something wrong with your install then. Works here.

    mhicaoidh, Jan 13, 2005
  20. Julie P.

    mhicaoidh Guest

    Taking a moment's reflection, Julie P. mused:

    | Uhh. Does not work.

    Did you click Update Schedule after clicking Disable Schedule? When I
    do so, the scheduling GUI on the left ghosts out, and scans do not run at
    previously scheduled time.

    mhicaoidh, Jan 13, 2005