    pure computer-storage medium. So, if it ever comes down one or the
    other medium *completely* disappearing, both as a video medium and as
    computer storage medium, then I'd certainly hope that BluRay survives.

    Gary Morrison, Jan 8, 2008

    Toshiba was doing lower prices for
    the standalone players

    so why?

    my one guess is copy protection

    BD has better copy protection
    than HD-DVD does

    both the video biz and the audio biz
    have repeatedly shown that they will
    cut off their noses to spite their faces,
    as long as they get higher profits in the
    early stages of a new technology

    HD-DVD has less copy protection than
    BD does and will likely be cracked
    sooner than BD will

    i mean, that's the key driver with
    all this digital stuff

    CD audio disks can now be ripped,
    even with everyday mainstream s/w

    DVD movie disks can now be ripped,
    but you have to get the s/w off
    the web coz mainstream s/w still
    does not offer that option

    bill

    willbill, Jan 8, 2008

  3. caliman.john

    Tarkus Guest

    You must be new here. Yes, he did. That's what he does.

    Tarkus, Jan 8, 2008
  4. caliman.john

    Steven Guest

    I also beleive this was a major reason as well and think it overrides
    cheaper production and better interactivity and cheaper players, etc..

    BD protecton is harder to break for now and the fact they are loading up
    these disc with large size 35-45gig of data makes breaking and ripping
    harder

    It's not the only reason, but a big one....

    I got setup yesterday to really hear the new audio codecs TrueHD, DTS-HD
    etc -- new receiver and updated by XA2 to Bitstream them via HDMI. Sound
    good..

    I still can not bitstream this from an HTPC to the receiver via HDMI, but
    hopefully a way will be there soon - I play all my Bluray from a PC.. I have
    lots of storage with dedicated RAID servers and all My HDVD and BLURAY are
    also on my server as well as 1000 DVD's.. I can play the from PC's in 3-4
    locations in my place without hunting down the disk..

    These new sound codecs are worth occasionally pulling the disk and playing
    in the stand alone player - they do sound good................

    I'll look at standalone BD players after another generation - no interest in
    the PS3

    Steven, Jan 8, 2008
  5. caliman.john

    Mark Jones Guest

    I don't subscribe to the hdtv group, just the dvd group.
    Hopefully he won't escape my filter.

    Mark Jones, Jan 9, 2008
  6. The figure is NOT twice as much on a per layer count, and anything over
    two layers has failed from a mass production POV.
    You're an idiot.
    Sorry, CHUMP! but the 1080p video of BOTH formats is pretty much free of
    video artifacts, and BOTH put standard definition bonus media down, and
    proves to us that they are merely providing it as an afterthought.
    Have fun having it last as an archival medium. Hard drives are cheap
    and a far better technology for such things. They ARE the ultimate "pure
    computer-storage medium", and always have been, and will be for some time
    to come. Now, they come in a "plug-in-the-wire-and-go" form factor too.
    You lose.
    They could both die. More likely, however, both will survive, so don't
    get you "up on the high horse" prediction capabilities roaring yet,
    'cause you ain't all that.

    Learn how to quote properly in Usenet, idiot.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Jan 9, 2008
  7. caliman.john

    Tarkus Guest

    Same here.
    He does here, only because I still find him amusing.

    Tarkus, Jan 9, 2008
  8. caliman.john

    RoyLFuchs Guest

    You're a goddamned Usenet retard, and that is ALL you are, little boy.

    Oh... wait... it appears as though you are ALSO an AOL retard!
    Hahahahaha! It figures. Bwuahahahahahaa!

    RoyLFuchs, Jan 9, 2008
  9. Your filter is probably just as retarded as you are.

    Corbomite Carrie, Jan 9, 2008
  10. caliman.john

    Wes Newell Guest

    Then why in the hell are you still crossposting to the hdtv group.?

    Removing hdtv group from the stupid thread.

    Wes Newell, Jan 9, 2008
  11. caliman.john

    Mark Jones Guest

    It is none of your business what I do.

    Mark Jones, Jan 9, 2008
  12. You're a goddamned retard, and you are the only thing stupid in this
    branch of the thread.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Jan 10, 2008
  13. Except the idiot won't see it unless you put the idiot's favorite group
    back in the thread, idiot.

    Do I really need to say?, Jan 10, 2008
  14. Except the idiot won't see it unless you put the idiot's favorite group
    back in the thread, idiot.

    Do I really need to say?, Jan 10, 2008
  15. caliman.john

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    Then Sony (et al.) will end up making B-R the HD equivelent of Laser Disk,
    which makes no sense.
    Well, they could always take the brute force approach and aggressively
    phase out plain old DVD, replacing them it title by title with a BR
    version.

    Sure, it wouldn't be a very smart decision but since when has anything
    surrounding HD video been considered a "smart decision" ? ;)

    Doug Jacobs, Jan 10, 2008
  16. caliman.john

    Doug Jacobs Guest

    That'll happen soon enough. It'll take awhile still for them to reach the
    sub-$50 that most DVD-RW drives are now, but then again, with blank discs
    costing $20 each when bought in bulk, there's probably not a whole lot of
    demand for them yet.

    Doug Jacobs, Jan 10, 2008
  17. Sorry, CHUMP! but the 1080p video of BOTH formats is pretty much free of
    Well, that's good to hear.
    Do you mean "last" in the sense of "retaining popularity" or in the
    sense that you have reason to expect the disks themselves to degrade
    over time?
    That depends upon your backup strategy. But that's a bit off topic for
    this NG, so I won't get into that.

    Gary Morrison, Jan 10, 2008
  18. caliman.john

    Phisherman Guest

    I'm waiting for an obvious winner and will continue to buy regular
    DVDs or until regular DVDs are no longer sold (when will that happen?)
    Most media is focused on regular DVDs, not Blu-Ray/ HD-DVDs. Besides,
    who want to pay $10 more for a hi-def disc? It is possible a hi-def
    disc player won't be available in the future, then what does one do
    with their discs?

    Phisherman, Feb 6, 2008

  19. What is that supposed to mean?

    Most wide format cameras are NOT keyed toward a DVD format that is
    lower in resolution than the camera. Same for displays. So where do you
    get off telling folks that stupid shit?

    The whole world has left 480 behind. Just so you know... DVD is 480.

    AFTER all you dipshit stragglers catch up to the rest of us, you'll be
    kicking yourselves in the ass for not getting it sooner.

    And AGAIN, BOTH formats are going to be around for a while. DVD is the
    one that will be dying out, just like the laser disc did. It will take
    longer, but it WILL happen.

    StickThatInYourPipeAndSmokeIt, Feb 6, 2008
  20. caliman.john

    Steven Guest

    The price point and hassles are still a larger barrier and will be for some
    years to the "majority"

    I'm a bleeding edger and have both formats and HTPC's and the other AV
    toys -- nice HT stuff in living room and bedroom

    But not a single one of my relatives will do this or spend such money on
    this type stuff..

    Most folks I know do not do the HDM stuff at all and have no plans to do so.

    No comments from me on how great the picture and sound overcomes the price
    point and hassles of getting in all going..

    It's always -- no way I'm spending [email protected]$%[email protected] for that..

    Steven, Feb 7, 2008