    mpeg 2 file to AVCHD. With hd-dvd i can just use the 1080p mpeg 2 file.

    Btw i already made 7 1 hour hd-dvd on dl dvd+r this weekend. It would
    take you all day to make 1 blu-ray dvd.

    tootal2, Jan 6, 2008

  2. More like "never did". Pepsico has owned food establishments, but no
    other company has ever owned Pepsico.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Jan 6, 2008

  3. USED to own. Spun off into Yum Brands of Louisville, KY now.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Jan 6, 2008
  4. The ONLY thing about BluRay that I have found to be "technically
    superior" is the hard coat finish on the discs. THAT is the single most
    important thing in optical disc technology I have seen come along in
    years.

    ChairmanOfTheBored, Jan 6, 2008
  5. caliman.john

    Bob Bohling Guest

    Thanks for the reply/info.

    Bob Bohling, Jan 6, 2008
  6. caliman.john

    alan.browne Guest

    You could try to constrain your replies to one post ... even if all
    three are wrong.

    alan.browne, Jan 6, 2008
  7. caliman.john

    Steven Guest

    This will be true for sometime.............

    The largest majority by a wide margin will be very happy with standard DVD's
    and cheap DVD players for many years to come..

    Despite this development and other in this area.. the capture of the "large
    majority" audience for HD will not happen.. Most are simply not going to pay
    the price you have to payupgrade to HD. Many will never think the price
    difference is worth it compared to a normal DVD..

    Those of us that do this HD thing are really a minority today and will
    remain so for several years.. Most laugh that I buy so many DVD's at all HD
    or not.. as they simply rent... too most it is all about "cheap"

    I buy both formats.......... so I have ways to play both in numerous ways..
    I still have not bought a stand alone bluray player as I was not happy with
    the cost/performance -- will keep looking as 2.0 profile machines come out..

    I'm looking forward to some great pricing on HD-DVD's, if folks start "fire
    sales".. If I can get a title that I can play in my setups for much cheaper
    then why not............

    Steven, Jan 6, 2008
  8. caliman.john

    yoman Guest

    I originally thought there could be no way that 1.8 billion could
    exchange hands, but considering the video business is an 11-13 billion
    dollar a year industry and that warner makes about half of that in
    some years, they could easily be considered the biggest and most
    influential studio of the bunch.

    Also, if you consider that sony not only got New Line as well as
    Warner Bros, and there are even rumors going around that Fox was some
    part of this as well. Fox was already blu-ray exclusive, and it may
    just be a rumor, but if it isn't, then splitting 1.8 billion between
    three major studios isn't unheard of at all.

    As many people know, Sony, as large as a corporation as it is, they
    don't have a lot of money. They definitely could not afford to pay 100
    million to any studio, with out going into debt. The money has to be
    coming from blu-ray investors, many which may include studios and the
    bda, but also outside European investors that probably don't want
    their names being known.

    Sony is known for doing this with movie ventures as well. This is
    because they want to limit devastation, if a movie may fail in
    theaters, and make a little bit of profit if the movie does well.
    They've done it with Silent Hill, the complete resident evil series,
    and many others.

    Studios like Disney, Starz, and Paramount may have an influence on the
    market, but they are generally niche markets. I've heard many people
    say that they like blu-ray because of disney. It is true that disney
    is blu-ray exclusive, and they have a huge library, but not even 1/3rd
    of those movies have even made it on standard definition dvd, and only
    one classic movie has been announced for blu-ray, leaving many
    hundreds of movies nowhere to be seen.

    Starz/Anchor Bay is also a niche market, in that it is mainly for cult
    horror movies like halloween, day of the dead, dawn of the dead, and
    evil dead. While it has a little influence for people who like those
    movies, it shouldn't be enough to sway any one either way.

    The big players who are left are really just Universal and Warner, and
    to some extent, Fox. 40% HD, 60% blu-ray. Nothing scientific, but 40%
    of a possible future 11-13 billion dollars a year sounds like one heck
    of a pile of money to me.

    yoman, Jan 6, 2008
  9. The secret is to never look at either HDDVD or BluRay discs on your new
    HDTV. If you never see it, you won't notice how much better it is.

    Frankly, unless you are willing to have an HDTV and a decent surround
    system to take advantage of the new sound codecs too, there is not a
    huge benefit to either at what is normal viewing distances for the
    average viewer.

    I took my PS3 up to my mom's house and we hooked it up to their 40"
    HDTV. While most liked the improvement in picture, they thought I was
    nuts to pay $400 for it. Part of that is because the viewing distance
    is further than optimum, while being pretty normal for most folks, and
    they don't have anything but the TV speakers for sound. IMO, fully half
    the experience comes from the sound.

    Lloyd Parsons, Jan 6, 2008
  10. caliman.john

    Steven Guest

    I expect that the vast majority also only have sound coming from the TV

    My extended family is the same as described below - none are into the things
    it takes to do a proper home theater.

    Lots these flat even go out of their way to get full screen DVD for their
    4:3 TV's

    Even folks buying the flat screen and widescreen view any displayed content
    with bars at the top or bottom as flawed and wasting the TV.........

    I spent my Holiday at home with my dad showing him what is HDTV could really
    do..

    My sister still has everything zoomed, stretched, distorted... bars are
    evil. it was a long week of withdrawal from my home setups - LOL

    Steven, Jan 6, 2008
  11. Notice how TVs are now following the same path music took.

    Once upon a time, it was all about huge heat-generating tube amps and
    gawdawful big speakers, and $5000 CD players with outboard $10,000 D/A
    converters. Prior to that, of course, it was about $10,000 turntables
    and $5000 styli.

    Then digital came along, and WHOOP! it's all about MP3 players and
    carrying your entire music library with you. And playing it on $3
    earbuds.

    Hey, this is America--more is better, and even better if it's cheaper.

    TVs are going the same route. Want to find good quality? Good luck.
    We're all about shoving $300 flat panels down America's throat--the
    bigger the better. It's like camera pixel ratings--more is better,
    right? SURE you have a 34" TV. So? Joe Sixpack just came home from
    Best Buy today with a SIXTY INCH TV so he can watch Monday's college
    bowl championship, and next month's Super Bowl. He had a coupon, too,
    so it was only $1199!!! Can you imagine!

    Elmo P. Shagnasty, Jan 6, 2008
  12. you mean upstairs in your mom's house.

    Elmo P. Shagnasty, Jan 6, 2008
  13. And let me tell you: HD and theater sound add absolutely ZERO to the
    enjoyment of watching Barney on How I Met Your Mother.

    And, consider that most people want appliances in their lives. They
    don't want a $500 remote control that they have to program so they can
    try to remember which button to hit to make all five components come on
    and switch appropriately so the wife can watch the weather channel to
    see if the kids are going to school tomorrow.

    The involved home theater should really be a dedicated home theater,
    used for when you want to watch movies in a theater-like environment.
    The home should also have just TVs available for just watching TV.

    It's when you try to have everything in one that it all falls apart.

    Elmo P. Shagnasty, Jan 6, 2008
  14. caliman.john

    Steven Guest

    And that's what most do, including most of my relatives -- just watch TV and
    99% network TV with 1/3 or more of every hour a commercial. Actually my 77
    yo father -- sits in his nice lounge chair and is probably asleep about
    half the time he is in front of the TV.. But to each his own...

    I watch less than 2-3% primary network TV -- just some news shows now and
    then

    nearly all other watching now is movies, discovery, history channel etc..

    I'm not often on channel I have to endure commercails for long..

    and I do not sports very often

    so I enjoy my home theater setups..... with proper sound

    Steven, Jan 6, 2008
  15. Asswipe...

    It would be a 350 mile set of steps. Quit trying to impose your
    fantasies on others.

    Lloyd Parsons, Jan 6, 2008
  16. caliman.john

    Tarkus Guest

    There's absolutely no reason why you can't use the same TV to do both.
    You can use it as a normal TV day to day, and switch it to HDMI or
    whatever when you want to use it for home theater.

    That is, unless you want to have a dedicated room for home theater.

    Tarkus, Jan 7, 2008
  17. caliman.john

    Bill's News Guest

    Copy protection which meets consumer expectations is what most
    software vendors have tried to implement, after the debacle to
    which you refer. Sadly, even then there are individuals who
    fear that every one of their customers will steal from them,
    given the slightest chance. While doing some work for a medium
    sized facility near Philadelphia back around the turn of the
    century, one of their PCs had a battery failure. At the next
    power on, when the date reset to the anniversary of Bill Gates
    first non-solo sexual experience, the dongle attached to it, in
    order to run the proprietary software loaded, quietly fried
    itself. No one knew of this "security feature," including the
    first 4 or 5 reps at the software company to whom I spoke.
    Finally, an old timer in their shop remembered this and
    authorized replacement of the dongle at no charge. But catch
    this, he then said: if this happens again, your company will
    have to pay full purchase price!

    Since the application ran on somewhat more than 100 PCs there,
    we instituted an immediate and annual battery replacement
    program. And, of course, called the lawyers;-0)

    Bill's News, Jan 7, 2008
  18. caliman.john

    Bill's News Guest

    My only video processors are PCs. I added the LG BD-HD-DVD
    player/burner to one PC a short while ago and have played both
    HD formats from NetFlix using the PowerDVD software that came
    with the drive. The startup time for either format is longer
    than any DVD or TV capture file, both of which are instant, but
    not so inordinate as to consider abandoning the idea and
    certainly way less than a minute. I've inhibited either the
    drive support or the player from accessing the internet without
    approval, none has been sought so far. Once started, most discs
    have gone directly to the main menu, from which I can select the
    first chapter, and few have then imposed trailers or even FBI
    warnings, though there have been exceptions. For some odd
    reason, the Pixar compendium of shorts (on Blu-Ray, I believe)
    refused to "Play-All" (or at least, step to the next via remote
    after making that choice) but the new menu system is a welcome
    change and made that less of an issue.

    Up until now I've been concentrating on viewing the HD version
    of DVDs which I already have. This next week will be the first
    I've ordered new HD/BD material from NetFlix, so this may be the
    first time either component seeks updating. So far I've asked
    for more Blu-Ray because of DVD matching content, but I've been
    equally pleased with HD-DVD playback. The list of older flicks
    I'd still like to borrow from NetFlix in HD is lopsided toward
    HD-DVD by 13/3.

    Sadly, neither format has enough previously unviewed material to
    be of much interest right now.

    Bill's News, Jan 7, 2008
  19. caliman.john

    Bill's News Guest

    Possibly NetFlix thought so too? Of the few discs I've borrowed
    from NetFlix of both formats, I'd say that HD-DVD borrowers are
    more respectful of the media and that Blu-Ray's hard coat
    doesn't pass the real world test! Even then, these relatively
    young releases of older flicks were significantly less scratched
    than their DVD counterparts.

    Bill's News, Jan 7, 2008
  20. caliman.john

    Mark A Guest

    How you can possibly make that assertion without knowing how many times each
    disc has been rented?

    Mark A, Jan 7, 2008