    hits the streets. And not a bit more reliable than the $29 el-cheapo
    DVD player at WalMart, which never needs a firmware update to play all
    the DVDs out there.

    Lloyd Parsons, Jan 6, 2008

  2. caliman.john

    Mutley Guest

    All the new Blu-ray stuff is except WB which most likely will with
    their next releases.. It screws us outside of the US who buy from
    Amazon..

    Mutley, Jan 6, 2008

  3. Yes, it means they'll stop losing money on trying to clear unsold
    product by slashing it below safe profit margins, and gaining *negative*
    income on each "cheap player" sold--
    And start trying to balance output with income, streamlining and
    improving their own product for the marketplace, and bringing their
    production up to a point where production costs no longer sabotage their
    hopes of a low shelf price.

    Just because Sony, Panasonic and Samsung aren't competing with Toshiba
    anymore doesn't mean they aren't competing with EACH OTHER...
    Well, then, um, maybe those players won't sell.
    Unless they find a way of competing with said PS3 exceptions, which does
    seem to be selling/functioning at the moment, and trying to keep up with
    the race.

    ....Welcome to capitalism. :)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jan 6, 2008
  4. caliman.john

    Tarkus Guest

    How can something that causes most consumers to be spectators be good
    for them? HD on disc was never going mainstream as long as there was
    competing formats. It still might not, but at least now it has a chance.

    Tarkus, Jan 6, 2008
  5. caliman.john

    Tarkus Guest

    Irrelevant. In time, the market will set the prices, not the BD mfgs.
    And more competition for that market will cause even more "artificially
    deflated" prices.

    Tarkus, Jan 6, 2008
  6. caliman.john

    Mutley Guest

    I suspect that the US studios won't allow any content to be ported to
    CHDA if it catches on..

    Mutley, Jan 6, 2008
  7. Thanks for the thoughts.

    Correct, I don't yet, but I intend to get one soon, but probably a
    Samsung BD-UP5000.
    So I gather that HD-DVD players don't have similar upgrade issues?

    I've heard about players having Ethernet connections for firmware
    updates. How does one perform these firmware upgrades? Do you hook it
    up to your Ethernet router and then do some sort of command from its
    menus to tell it to search for firmware upgrades?

    Gary Morrison, Jan 6, 2008
  8. I'm pretty sure I haven't asked this particular question before.

    Gary Morrison, Jan 6, 2008
  9. caliman.john

    Mark A Guest

    Maybe you should start your own company, or invest in one with others, that
    can do it cheaper. If you feel bad about making money, then make it a
    non-profit company.

    Mark A, Jan 6, 2008
  10. caliman.john

    Mark A Guest

    Maybe there won't be a sub-$200 BD player by next Christmas. But eventually
    there will be. It depends on a lot on whether the average consumer really
    wants them or not (which is somewhat doubtful at this point). I agree that
    it will be a nitch product for a couple of years, but eventually it will
    take off in a big way, and prices will come down dramatically.

    Mark A, Jan 6, 2008
  11. Did I say capitalism was a BAD thing?

    The same format war that was "going to drive player prices down" was
    what kept prices up, when it sabotaged its own attempts create enough
    supply or demand to make a cheap player the traditional way--
    Now, we have a situation where supply can be increased and
    formerly-timid studios can now create demand, and prices can go down the
    *REAL* way and stay down.

    As opposed to company-crushing and profit-devouring shortrun Clearance
    Sales that fooled a lot of smug draft-dodgers into thinking they were
    actually accomplishing anything in the longrun. ^_^

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jan 6, 2008
  12. Assuming that Paramount and Universal eventually switch over...

    But yes, fundamentally, I think you're right.

    Gary Morrison, Jan 6, 2008
  13. caliman.john

    T.B. Guest

    Good Lord, get a grip.

    Warner Bros made the right move. At least they didn't pull a Paramount and
    stop releasing titles the week they made the announcement.

    If this stalemate continued into '09 or beyond, it would have likely
    consigned both formats to the dustbin of other failed competing formats like
    DVD audio and SACDs. As it stands, it already may be too late but at least
    with the possibility of only one HD disc format by the end of this year, HD
    via blu-ray has a chance of gaining a decent hold on the home video
    marketplace in a couple years.

    And really, the same misguided hair-pulling was made at the end of the 90's
    by laserdisc fans when dvds first hit the consumer marketplace. Software and
    especially hardware prices eventually dropped, just about every obscure
    movie imaginable has been released on dvd (some, half a dozen times or more)
    and the media quickly outgrew the initially crummy transfers that dogged
    many releases the first few years of the media's existence.

    And really, blu-ray is technically a better format than hd-dvd.

    T.B.

    T.B., Jan 6, 2008
  14. Not as often.
    The HDDVD players all have ethernet, most BD players don't.

    With the Toshiba HDDVD players, it is as you mentioned. A menu
    selection and quite easy.

    Lloyd Parsons, Jan 6, 2008
  15. No, the only BD player I've got just has a built-in Bluetooth Ethernet
    connection
    Which means I can't connect a cable to my living room, I just have to
    download all my Profile 1.1 updates on the Settings menu directly from
    Sony's own network over wireless...

    (See, that's the problem with PS3 owners, we just *can't figure out*
    what all this "slow loading" and "no 1.1" complaining stuff is about--
    Is it, like, actually happening somewhere, or is it another one of those
    urban legends still hanging around from '06?) 0_o??

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jan 6, 2008
  16. caliman.john

    Mark A Guest

    That is important, because even though BD costs more right now, history has
    shown that "under-specking" of standards is a big mistake because technology
    improves and prices go down rapidly. What ever standard is decided on in the
    next few years will likely have to last at least 25 years into the future.

    Mark A, Jan 6, 2008
  17. Uh, Derek, your PS3 doesn't have a 'bluetooth ethernet' connection. It
    has a wireless ethernet connection which is a different thing.

    The Bluetooth in the PS3 is for the controller and other remote items.
    Has nothing to do with ethernet at all.

    And, yes the PS3 is the best of the bunch of BD players by a big margin.

    Lloyd Parsons, Jan 6, 2008
  18. Well, it *does* rather frustrate the whole "Sony is evil and makes
    junk...Just look at the BDP300!" defense that the HD/dodgers were
    counting on to paint the entire industry with.

    (Even the venerable old "PS3 gamers aren't buying/don't even know they
    can play movies!" defense does seem to be losing a bit of currency
    nowadays--
    As the "Shh...Ix-nay!...Don't tell 'em!" factor seems to be beginning to
    kick in.)

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Jan 6, 2008
  19. caliman.john

    willbill Guest

    geez. as one of the few here (i.e. you)
    who has both players, i was meaning to ask
    you about your experience with each. my
    own 3rd gen A35 is a bit clunky but not
    so bad that it drives me nuts

    i did have to upgrade the player from
    1.0 to 1.3 firmware (a 40 meg ISO download,
    via slow dialup!)

    anyway, it will be interesting to see what
    Toshiba does in the next weeks/months.
    somehow i don't see them rolling over
    and dying

    bill

    willbill, Jan 6, 2008
  20. caliman.john

    T.B. Guest

    "Will" whined:
    The same (irrelevant) argument could be used against Harry Knowles of
    AIC.com who's been accused of being a blatant shill for the HD-DVD format
    for over a year now. It's really kind of funny why anyone on the hd-dvd
    side would bring up shilling for pay or movie studio payoffs for support
    when Microsoft/Toshiba is undeniably guilty of the same thing.

    The bottom line is whining and sniveling about what's happened means zip in
    the scheme of things. It's a stupid home video format for God's sake. Pick
    up the pieces of your shattered lives and move on.

    T.B.

    T.B., Jan 6, 2008