  1. Reg

    JohnO Guest

    Note of course that the bumped up price applies whether 3G or not, so effectively there's still no specific add-on for 3G regardless.

    JohnO, Sep 10, 2012

  2. Mantano

    Frank Williams, Sep 10, 2012

  3. Reg

    Enkidu Guest

    My el cheapo e-reader has always done landscape, but you can't just turn
    it sideways like the iPad.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Sep 10, 2012
  4. Reg

    Gordon Guest

    Could I ask that you warp you postings at 80 lines max?

    Gordon, Sep 10, 2012
  5. Reg

    Ralph Fox Guest

    Really? Can you put your own SIM in it and still get free browsing
    and mobile data?

    "Free 3G" only means you don't top up the 3G account directly.
    Amazon tops it up and you pay Amazon through e-book "delivery
    charges".
    I expect that Amazon owns the 3G accounts. Amazon can control
    what and how much data the account uses so it doesn't lose money.

    Ralph Fox, Sep 10, 2012
  6. Reg

    Me Guest

    Me, Sep 10, 2012
  7. Reg

    JohnO Guest

    Sorry mate - it's GoogleGroups and they have absolutely buggered it in the new release of it. As far as I can see there's nothing I can do but manually correct it which as a total PITA. I think Google are intentionally trying to kill it off by making it awful.

    JohnO, Sep 11, 2012
  8. Reg

    JohnO Guest

    The SIM is not accessible without breaking open the case , i.e. wrecking it..
    As far as I can tell the charges are the same whether you are a 3G or Wifi device. So you might be correct to say that it is not free, but rather subsidised by all *international* accounts, be they 3G or Wifi.
    Of course.
    It won't lose money because the cost is covered in the sale price of the book.

    Further, you can only browse the book store, Wikipedia and download books (international accounts - different for US accounts). The data volume is miniscule, Further, Amazon will have done a humungous bulk deal with AT&T (US accounts) and Vodafone (international accounts) and will have sourced the SIMs and an account plan very cheaply. A sim module is about $30 but the premium for a 3G device is double that. There's their costs covered already.

    JohnO, Sep 11, 2012
  9. Reg

    Mike Dee Guest

    You're responding to someone using GoogleGroups to post to usenet. It
    may take him a while to find the magic switch for an 80 or less,
    character length line.

    Mike Dee, Sep 11, 2012
  10. Reg

    JohnO Guest

    I've looked and I don't believe there is such a switch you cheeky monkey!

    The other issue, as you can see, is the double spacing of replied-to posts.

    JohnO, Sep 11, 2012
  11. Reg

    JohnO Guest

    The Kindle DX has a 10" e-ink display.

    JohnO, Sep 11, 2012
  12. Reg

    Dave Doe Guest

    Looks just fine in Microplanet Gravity - until you go and 'reply' to a
    message - and your text appears as one big long line LOL.

    Dave Doe, Sep 11, 2012
  13. Reg

    Mike Dee Guest

    I guess Gordan had meant to type "wrap" & 80 characters, not lines. But
    I kind of like "warp" anyway ;-)

    It wasn't too flash to begin with.
    Glad to see Xnews here, auto-corrects those long lines when replying.

    Mike Dee, Sep 11, 2012
  14. In fact it was so broken I only tried it for 2 days before totally giving up
    on it. It couldn't thread/group posts worth a damn, was slow, cubersome and
    ugly, and allowed (nay, encouraged) formatting.
    That was a couple of years ago now, but what I've seen posted from it since
    gives me no reason to change my mind. :)

    Some people filter out everything posted from google groups. I can see why.
    :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 11, 2012
  15. Reg

    JohnO Guest

    On Wednesday, 12 September 2012 10:43:50 UTC+12, Bruce Sinclair wrote:
    Well, it is now worse in the "new" look :-O

    But I still prefer it to Agent and Gravity which are far too slow in the way they download headers and expand thread trees. GG is fast and does display thread trees if you configure that - I'm not sure why you had issues there.

    But yes, it is ugly and more so now to boot.

    JohnO, Sep 12, 2012
  16. I had *problems* with it because it didn't thread. :)

    I'm using an old program (news express) that works fine and fast. No one who
    has used GG would ever complain about the speed of any real news reader. :)

    Bruce Sinclair, Sep 12, 2012
  17. Reg

    Dave Doe Guest

    Jeez... I get Gravity to pull everything from all the groups I'm on - so
    it's already expanded and the data (posts) are already there for me to
    instantly read.

    Dave Doe, Sep 12, 2012
  18. Reg

    JohnO Guest

    I just wonder where your speed issue comes from - I don't see any speed issue with GG - it seems to always open stuff more or less instantly. The problems I have are all with design and function.

    JohnO, Sep 12, 2012
  19. Reg

    ~misfit~ Guest

    Somewhere on teh intarwebs JohnO wrote:
    [snippage]
    Does that come with a PIN number or do you just get it at the ATM machine?

    ;-)
    --
    /Shaun.

    cozy little classification in the DSM."
    David Melville (in r.a.s.f1)

    ~misfit~, Sep 17, 2012
  20. Reg

    John Little Guest

    My experience is that GG in firefox is now very sensitive to available RAM.
    Back from my dial-up days I've been accustomed when perusing a group to go
    through the list of threads ("headers") clicking on those I want to read, to
    start them loading in new tabs. (Perhaps before tabs it was windows, I
    can't remember.) For some groups, firefox would claim 250-300 MiB *per tab*
    initially, settling back to 50-60 MiB *per tab* after the threads finished
    board graphics) my system would commence thrashing on opening a few threads,
    but I could click on maybe a dozen and provoke serious swapping. Indeed,
    diagnosing the situation was difficult because monitoring attempts would be
    so slow running until the tabs had finished loading that I wouldn't see the
    spike in RSS size. It was only monitoring using a light, non-gui tool (top)
    that I saw what was happening.

    I take the same multiple tabs approach in other forums without trouble. I
    tried GG in rekonq briefly, and it seemed to suffer from the same problem,
    but that was booting from a live CD and it was really slow anyway.

    So, maybe that's where the speed issue came from.

    John Little, Sep 19, 2012