    Reg Guest

    The Warehouse have kindles for sale labelled as "parallel import
    sponsored version." What does sponsored version mean?

    Reg, Sep 6, 2012

  2. Reg

    Reg Guest

    Reg, Sep 6, 2012

  3. Don't waste your money get a product that can Read colour PDF files
    and the Kindle is way way out of date now.

    To read PDF files a 10" is considered better.

    Frank Williams, Sep 6, 2012
  4. Reg

    David Empson Guest

    It shows advertisements. Not sure how/where they appear, as I haven't
    paid close attention to the details.

    In the US, that model is somewhat cheaper than the non-sponsored one
    (which doesn't show ads).

    David Empson, Sep 7, 2012
  5. Reg

    JohnO Guest

    I ordered the one without the sponsored ads as to me the price difference didn't warrant the messy intrusion.

    Of interest is the extra price option of 3G. With this, you don't need to be in a WIFI zone to browse, purchase and download books - almost anywhere in the world with cellular coverage and it just works. Not only that, it is free and without any form of cellular account, in the vast majority of countries where you are likely to be (subject to the fine print of course).

    JohnO, Sep 7, 2012
  6. Reg

    Gordon Guest

    Ads until you chuck it in the bin.

    Gordon, Sep 7, 2012
  7. Reg

    Gordon Guest

    Greetings Roger,

    Good to see you have returned. Kindle is about books, you know close to
    ASCII text. PDFs are the zip file of the printed page.

    Gordon, Sep 7, 2012
  8. Reg

    Gordon Guest

    I see some irony in this, you can downlaod a book anywhere, which takes ones
    some many hours or reading pleasure.

    Gordon, Sep 7, 2012

  9. Yes very obsolete as they are now been replaced with new ones, and PDF
    files are listed ass Ebooks..

    Frank Williams, Sep 7, 2012
  10. Reg

    victor Guest

    Amazon have 62% of the e-book market, ibook store has 16%, Barnes &
    Noble has 20%, none of them are pdf books.
    Amazon just released a new e-ink kindle, so its definitely not out of date.
    The ipad is a great media player, the Kindle is the best e-reader.

    victor, Sep 7, 2012

  11. I thought the Kindle Fire was the one to get and now these new ones
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/09/06/amazon_kindle_hd_refresh/

    All you are stating is a Locked in Custom market with no option to add
    your own.?

    So my PDF books that must be a Joke.

    One of the Android better eBook readers only supports EPUB & PDF, in
    fact there are 3 or 4 readers that just support EPUB & PDF

    Frank Williams, Sep 8, 2012
  12. Reg

    victor Guest

    Kindle Fires are backlit lcd tablet type devices like the ipad. Sub
    optimal for reading compared to paper.
    The e-ink readers are cheaper, lighter, easier on the eyes, have much
    longer battery life and are more legible in sunlight. The nice thing
    about the Kindle is the way the text reflows with font size. And it does
    text to speech which is handy for car trips.
    Its easy to add your own content, drag and drop it on usb or send over
    wireless to its own email address. I use the Calibre library software,
    an e-book editor Sigil, a Chrome extension called Klip.me. Format
    conversion is easy. I wouldn't have bought a Kindle if it was just
    locked into Amazon content. Amazon's DRM is fairly easy to strip on a PC
    if you need to. There is plenty of free content available.
    That said, the Amazon books are good value and I buy more for Kindle
    than I would buy physical books. That's the reason Amazon sell the
    hardware so cheaply.
    The Kindle reader is in the android app store.

    victor, Sep 8, 2012
  13. Reg

    Enkidu Guest

    I find the 7" screen too small on the e-readers. Books are easier to
    read on the iPade.

    Cheers,

    Cliff

    Enkidu, Sep 9, 2012
  14. Reg

    Gib Bogle Guest

    This is the first time I've had a proper look at the Kindle. I am
    definitely interested. It isn't clear to me what advantage the touch
    version would offer.

    Gib Bogle, Sep 9, 2012
  15. Reg

    Ralph Fox Guest

    TANSTAAFL [^1] so I'd be surprised if you weren't paying for the
    cellular data in one way or another.

    Any comments on this?
    http://downloadsquad.switched.com/2...indle-users-heres-how-amazon-is-screwing-you/

    ________
    Footnotes

    [^1] TANSTAAFL : There Ain't No Such Thing As A Free Lunch

    Ralph Fox, Sep 9, 2012
  16. Reg

    victor Guest

    The onscreen keyboard is an advantage over the basic model.

    victor, Sep 9, 2012
  17. Try one you will be surprised at lest.

    My Cheap Chinese 10.1 Tablet works great on PDF files and as a ebook
    reader with epub files with the software I am using and it supports 10
    point touches.

    Lots of features are far better on a touch tablet/ebook reader its like
    the screen has 100 keys.

    Funny that even the Police are now using iPads.

    Frank Williams, Sep 9, 2012
  18. FrankWilliams:
    What software ?

    [email protected], Sep 9, 2012
  19. Reg

    JohnO Guest

    On Sunday, 9 September 2012 12:53:39 UTC+12, Enkidu wrote:
    It's a similar size to a page of a paperback novel and I only read fiction on Kindle. Recent software updates have finally allowed switching to landscape which makes it bigger.

    The problems with an iPad for book reading are eye fatigue after an hour or less reading and short battery life. Take your power adapter with you for a rainy weekend away whereas Kindles last for weeks.

    JohnO, Sep 10, 2012
  20. Reg

    JohnO Guest

    Well it 3G Kindle costs a little more. However the 'free' 3G is intended for browsing, purchasing and downloading books so some of the cost is met from the sales revenue. The bottom line is that there is no mechanism for Amazon to charge for the 3G use, so once the upfront cost is met, the ongoing marginal cost can only be zero.

    I am not sure if web browsing over 3G works or not, but the conditions of use suggest it is not intended for purposes other than I mentioned above.
    Interesting. I haven't noticed any international price differentials on purchases but will connect through a US proxy server and see if there is a difference.

    JohnO, Sep 10, 2012