    we need to deal with it as a societal level.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Matt Silberstein, Mar 27, 2005

  2. Point taken. I am an American, you seem to be a Texan.
    As opposed to the U.S. waiting until we were attacked? Can you imagine
    the world intervening in Sudan now that we have acknowledged that
    genocide is going on? Or actually doing something about Pakistan's
    exporting of nuclear weapons? Or doing something about Saudi Arabia's
    exporting of hate? Or trying to reverse the re-imposition of
    dictatorship in Russia? Or maybe actually working to stop terrorism in
    the world rather than give excuses and motivation? Imagine actually
    going after Bin Laden instead of diverting forces to Iraq. Imagine
    taking the time to ensure you had enough troops and that they had
    enough amour before attacking. Imagine working for rule of law rather
    than just doing what we wanted to do.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Matt Silberstein, Mar 27, 2005

  3. SamSez

    leo Guest

    All retailers would do such thing -- to a limit, but I would think that
    to many discounters, glossy photo paper, is just, glossy photo paper,
    unless there is radically change in the appearance, as if changing to
    matte finish. You think the purchasing department would hire a
    photography guy to test the paper, and other _experts_ to test ten and
    thousands of the merchandises? I do hope it's just some goof up at
    Ilford, but not intentionally to make such a confusion. BTW, I don't
    shop at Sams and rarely visit Walmart (or Target etc.) but I think we
    shouldn't simply assume it's Walmart's evil act without further checking.

    leo, Mar 27, 2005
  4. SamSez

    Dave Guest

    Now hold on there about New Orleans and don't count yourself short by
    being from there. Just to show you how funny this is getting and how
    tied together it is getting..... The person in my lineage that was at
    the Alamo was Robert Moore (Great/Great/Great Uncle on my Mother's
    side). He was a Virginian who moved to New Orleans. Actually, it is
    said that he ran off to New Orleans because of some misunderstandings
    over a horse or two found in his possession. I come from a long line
    of honorable horse thieves and admirers of other men's wives....
    Anyway, while in New Orleans, Robert Moore joined what was called the
    New Orleans Grays of which around 20 volunteered their services to the
    cause at the Alamo. The rest is history.

    So, just like the Grays, you came from New Orleans to Texas except,
    you lived to talk about it.

    Now, as far as those Aussies go.... I served along side Aussies in
    Vietnam way back in the 60's. On one of my R&R's, I was asked by one
    of those Aussies (who was also taking a 2-week R&R) to catch a hop
    with him to Sidney as his guest in his home for our two week R&R. I
    did and have never forgotten his kindness and the camaraderie we
    shared as all men share in the field. I'm sure if he were alive today
    that he would be sickened by what he hears some of his fellow
    countrymen saying just as I am about a lot of my present day
    countrymen.

    Regards,
    DW

    Dave, Mar 27, 2005
  5. It isn't important to inspect every product, or even every production run.

    All you need to do is inspect the production line during a production run, and be
    ready to make a surprize inspection if the quality falters.

    After a buncha customers complain about seriously deminished quality, a few corporate
    eyebrows may get raised, and the threat of halting bulk purchases would have a
    positive effect.

    Petey the Wonder Dog, Mar 27, 2005
  6. SamSez

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Oh, you mean socialized medicine? Doesn't work. Many countries try it,
    and end up spending 40% or so of their GDP on it, and people wait for
    months, if not years, for needed surgery while doctors flee to other
    countries.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 27, 2005
  7. SamSez

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I meant no disrespect to New Orleans. But my father had been sent to
    New Orleans for a special welding assignment (he was a superb welder),
    building ships during WWII, and my mother went with him. I was born
    there, and the family moved back to Texas two weeks later. One has
    little control of such factors. I am Texan through and through.

    As for Australia, and Aussies; I have long admired the descendants of
    political dissidents who managed to build a real country out of a
    hostile, and strange place. The ones I have known have been friendly
    and self-reliant people with a special zest for life. I only wish they
    would move the place a few thousand miles closer so I could visit.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 27, 2005
  8. SamSez

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Sam's doubtless does exactly that. They often discontinue a product
    after a while, due, sometimes, to inability of the company to maintain
    supply, or quality, or price. At least some items just disappear, in
    spite of obvious good sales.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 27, 2005
  9. Bull! You obviously never shop at Costco or no
    over a long period. Costco often gets newly
    introduced stuff which sells at a high discount to
    other stores. And we are not talking about
    different models but the identical item. Then
    Costco often sells out of the item and it is never
    offered again. What is happening is that Costco's
    low prices create a market and the manufacture
    will no longer sell at a discount to Costco.
    Quite a contrast to what you are saying.

    Don't know if what you say happens at Walmart, but
    I doubt it. Any substantial reduction in quality
    would quickly result in decrease sales and an
    excess of product.

    George E. Cawthon, Mar 27, 2005
  10. Whoa, you were just saying that manufacturer's
    were forced into lowering the quality by Sam's
    demand for lower prices, but that Sam's didn't
    check everything. Now you are saying that Sams
    knows what the quality is, so you are saying that
    Sams deliberately lowers the quality by lowering
    the price paid to the manufacture. You can't have
    it both ways. And, don't you think that Sam's
    knows that lowering the quality at the same price
    will have an adverse effect on sales?
    Right, Sam's can afford to screw over their
    customers, but that is exactly what you have been
    saying with regard to the prices they are willing
    to pay the manufacture after the manufacturer
    ramps up production. Your whole argument is a
    house of cards. One little push and it collapses.

    George E. Cawthon, Mar 27, 2005
  11. I can't believe all this crap about stores testing
    products. Stores don't test products, they sell
    product. Warehouse and such type stores sell what
    sells. The research they do is market research
    not quality control. If 50 percent of the market
    is held by brand X toothpaste, they will sell it
    at the lowest profitable price. If there are
    agreements on minimum sales price for a brand
    name, the warehouse may get the manufacture to
    sell the same product under a house name.

    No store is going to test a Cannon A95 camera.
    They will probably look at sales stats and
    customer satisfaction before offering it for sale
    or baring information may simply test the sales by
    buying a small amount of the product. The same
    thing is true of all those brand name groceries,
    drug items, etc.

    When it comes to buying a personal care item in a
    bottle, it better damn well be the same in every
    bottle manufactured (within quality control
    limits). I buy a lot of contact lens solution, (a
    single kind within one brand). The cost varies
    from about $6 a bottle to nearly $9 and I and
    everyone else expects to get the same product
    regardless of what store it is bought from. Does
    anyone really think the manufacture make
    deliberate changes in a formula and marks those
    for specific stores. Depending on the facilities
    the manufacturer most likely makes a run of
    100,000 for Walmart, 100,OOO for Target, 50,000
    for Albertsons, etc. from the same batch. And
    the shipping department has no idea if it is mixed
    batches or not.

    George E. Cawthon, Mar 27, 2005
  12. SamSez

    clutch Guest

    Your civilized country has troops in it also.

    Wes

    clutch, Mar 27, 2005
  13. SamSez

    clutch Guest

    The rest of the UN member countries can deal with it. The USA is
    slightly busy right now. You other countries can do something on your
    own can't you?

    Wes

    clutch, Mar 27, 2005
  14. SamSez

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Decrease of sales NEVER increases profit. And NO profit is 'excess'
    from a beancounter's point of view!

    Ron Hunter, Mar 27, 2005
  15. SamSez

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Don't worry about him, he has already given himself away by extolling
    the virtues of the government of communist China and taking their side
    against Taiwan. I am sure his opinions are no more popular in Australia
    than they are here.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 27, 2005
  16. The reason for that is usually that the supplier simply refuses to
    continue submitting to the strong-arm tactics of places like
    Sams/WalMart or Costco, and discontinues the particular item that they
    are losing money over.

    There are some companies that simply refuse to sell to the warehouse
    clubs. The smarter companies refuse to allow any one customer buy
    more than about 10% (or less) of their products. When you let one
    customer have more than about 20% of your output, that customer then
    has you by the gonads, and it's only a matter of time before you feel
    the squeeze.

    Howard Lee Harkness, Mar 27, 2005
  17. You're tight, Howard. I'm sure it would be very tempting if you are a relatively
    small company, competeing with others, and Sam's comes along and tells you they want
    ten million units this year. How do you say "No"? They give the busines to your
    competition, who now gets lower prices from their respective suppliers thanks to
    economics of scale. Buth then they have to deal with pressures from Mr. Walton.

    It's a tough world.

    Petey the Wonder Dog, Mar 27, 2005
  18. Works well in Costa Rica and Canada.
    Who spends a greater % of GDP on health care than the U.S. and what is
    their life expectancy?
    As opposed to simply letting people die from a wide range of solvable
    problems because they don't have money or insurance.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Matt Silberstein, Mar 27, 2005

  19. The rest of the UN member countries can deal with it. The USA is
    slightly busy right now. You other countries can do something on your
    own can't you?[/QUOTE]

    Yeah, Iraq is much more of a problem than active genocide. Just stop
    pretending you are doing the right thing, ok.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Matt Silberstein, Mar 27, 2005
  20. Nonsense. Price/Sale is a curve as is Cost/Production. There are
    plenty of places on much such curves such that moving to the left
    increases profit.
    You misread "product". "Excess profit" is usually a tax or regulatory
    issue, very much a beancounter concern.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Matt Silberstein, Mar 27, 2005