    Ron Hunter Guest

    Do you KNOW that they negotiated a different spec under the same
    packaging? If so, please present that information to the FTC.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 26, 2005

  2. SamSez

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I am sure they know what they ordered. Now knowing what they GOT is
    another matter entirely. NO company has the personnel to inspect every
    shipment of a product for quality, and suppliers KNOW that.
    Example. I buy 'jumbo' eggs, because they are a better value, but in
    almost EVERY PACK, I find at least one egg that is noticeably smaller
    than all the others. So who is doing this? The store, other customers,
    the packager?

    Ron Hunter, Mar 26, 2005

  3. SamSez

    Dave Guest

    Don't Mess With Texas!!!! A few years back when doing some work in
    S.E. Asia. I bumped into a guy that sounded like he was from North
    America. I asked him if he was an American and he looked at me
    straight in the eye and said, "Nope, I'm a Texan". I liked that
    because I have Tennessee lineage traced back to that little scuffle at
    the Alamo.

    I'm not from Texas but my front tag says it all:
    "American by Birth, Southern by the grace of God!"

    Regards from a `Sons of the Confederacy',
    DW

    Dave, Mar 26, 2005
  4. SamSez

    Rick Brandt Guest

    I wasn't making a moral judgment one way or the other. Simply offering a
    explanation why a product purchased at Wal-Mart/Sams might be of lower quality
    than the same brand sold through other outlets, that being that the price
    structures imposed on the suppliers can force them to "cheapen" the product if
    they want to do business with Wal-Mart.

    Rick Brandt, Mar 26, 2005
  5. SamSez

    measekite Guest

    General Motors also has thousands of parts going into their automobiles
    that are outsourced. And they inspect representative samples of each
    shipment to insure they meet the specifications they require and they
    have the same safety ratings they require. Many customers would not
    know if they are short changed on paper requirements.

    measekite, Mar 26, 2005
  6. SamSez

    measekite Guest

    Thats poverty level. Their Gas cost them 50% of their wages. Their
    rent cost 60% of their wages (California). What are they going to eat?
    Besides, they make them work overtime and do not pay them. There are
    many lawsuits against this organization. Their own managers have stated
    they are required (unofficially) to do these things to meet profit goals
    or they will not have a job.All of this was exposed on multiple news
    programs including 60 minutes.

    measekite, Mar 26, 2005
  7. SamSez

    leo Guest

    If the rate, $9.96/hr is true, it beats many, many retail stores. Many
    of them pay only $7 and change. McDonald's in NYC pays $6 something,
    whatever the minimum set by the NY state and do you suggest living in
    NYC is cheaper?

    Back to the original issue. Many retailers don't have the resources to
    check every item. They depend on the trust of the suppliers. For
    instant, many department stores carry jewelry. How can they tell it's
    14K, vs. 18K gold? Ilford is obligated to not using the same name for
    products with different grades. There is no reason for the retailers to
    do such a trick.

    leo, Mar 26, 2005
  8. SamSez

    leo Guest

    Only Walmart??? I would think many retailers hire as few full time
    workers as possible. They have little trouble finding people to fill in
    at any time. Their actual excuse is they pay less but offer FLEX time
    schedule for many moms and students and managers need to work harder to
    find people for the shifts. LOL.

    leo, Mar 26, 2005
  9. SamSez

    leo Guest

    The concept that many clothing companies make lower quality clothing for
    warehouse. You won't notice that because they don't sell the same items
    or use the same name. Clothing made for Gap Oulet is lower grade than
    Gap. Same idea for Ilford, the UPC code got to be difference. Why don't
    they use a different name?

    leo, Mar 26, 2005
  10. SamSez

    leo Guest

    And soon we'll only find Kirland brands at Costco...

    leo, Mar 26, 2005
  11. This is about wooden head so maybe it isn't off
    topic. You missed a point or two. Many of
    Walmart employees are retired and already have a
    variety of benefits from their previous
    employment. They don't need health care and
    don't need retirement plans and since they work
    part time they don't need paid vacations. Since
    benefits plans can easily add 1/3 to the pay and
    probably are nearly all worth at least $3-5 per
    hour, Walmart can eliminate the benefits and pay
    higher wages and still make a profit. So which
    would a retired worker prefer-- higher pay, or
    duplicate what he already has.

    Other employees may need a benefit package and
    need to consider that when trying to get a job.
    Complaining about lack of benefits or lack of full
    time employment after one accepts something less
    is just sour grapes. If you don't like a company
    or don't like the wages and benefits, don't work
    for them. Like I said, wooden head or maybe just
    knot heads.

    George E. Cawthon, Mar 26, 2005
  12. Sounds like a straw horse to me. People use to
    (maybe still do) say that brand names sold by
    chain stores were lower in quality than those sold
    by an appliance store. It wasn't true then and it
    isn't true now. No brand name manufacture is
    likely to degrade his standing by producing a
    quality product and an economical product with the
    same model number.

    There may be instances of this, the Ilford paper
    seems to be such a case, but it is rare and
    probably the result of some marketing idiot at
    Ilford. Just think how much negativity this
    Ilford paper case has generated. How many people
    will now never buy Ilford because of it? Don't
    get this confused with different models, but names
    in paper are the same as model numbers in a
    refrigerator. Manufacture are smart enough not to
    sell a product with different qualities under the
    same model number.

    George E. Cawthon, Mar 26, 2005
  13. Which is why they DON'T have the same model number, but they DO continue
    to have the identical outward appearance.

    In fact, the model number is in the smallest print you can find.

    So there's no price shopping the appliance store model against the
    discount store model. Technically, they aren't identical.

    And despite outward appearances, they aren't identical. The cheaper
    models use less insulation, smaller motors, etc, etc, all to keep the
    price down.

    People want "the best price," but too often people don't look at the
    value equation. They get the lowest price, but they also get the lowest
    product--and they convince themselves that they're happy because to
    outward appearance, they got "the same thing" that the appliance store
    was selling for $100 more.

    They didn't get the same thing, but don't try to tell them that.

    The appliance manufacturers are simply responding to human nature.

    Elmo P. Shagnasty, Mar 26, 2005
  14. SamSez

    Larry Guest

    Im pretty sure its the chickens Ron..

    Larry, Mar 26, 2005
  15. Most of what you said is not true in my
    experience. Lots of things look similar until you
    look closely, after all what does a refrigerator
    look like.

    Best price and lowest price are quite different
    things. Some how you have ignored features.
    When you go to buy something your primary concern
    should be features, not looks. And if you are
    comparing brands, of course the model numbers
    aren't the same. I have found, particularly at
    Costo, that a much higher quality product, can be
    purchase for less or the same as a much lower
    quality model. Heck, in comparing the same model,
    I can often get two for the price of one in other
    stores.

    Despite what you say I have found that
    Model numbers are usually stated and comparison
    shopping for the same model is not that difficult.
    It is not comparison shopping if you are talking
    about different models.

    Somehow you have changed this to different models
    that look similar and cheap models, from models
    with the same number. Of course different models
    have different prices and different features,
    that's why they are different models. And, of
    course, the cheapest models many not perform as
    well as the most expensive models (however, this
    isn't always true).

    If you are looking for midrange models, you can
    often find the same model in many different stores
    including the appliance stores and the discount
    stores. You think they make a different model for
    every store? When I find a model I want to buy, I
    shop around at different stores for the same
    model. Sears can be a problem because you don't
    know who made the appliance unless they put the
    name on it. But a Whirlpool, a Maytag, etc. is
    easy to check. Yes, a store may not carry the
    same model as another store, and of course models
    vary in price. Years ago we bought a Whirlpool
    and priced that model at various stores including
    Sears and K-Mart. We bought it at an appliance
    store because that was the only place we could get
    it with a crinkle door (an option in that model).

    I don't believe your statement about the smaller
    motors etc. The basic running gear of many
    appliances (within a brand) is the same regardless
    of model and most of the model differences are
    related to convenience features, such as controls,
    size, and material of some obvious part. For
    example, the same compressor/motor unit will used
    in a whole series of models of refrigerator.
    The most obvious of these is the water heater
    where the only difference other than size and type
    of burner is likely to be the warantee.

    George E. Cawthon, Mar 27, 2005
  16. Maybe not, but... don't assume that Sam's got where it is by leaving quality control
    to chance.

    Let's say you are Sam's Club, and you order $25 million worth of paper from Ilford.
    The order is a LOT more concise than "Paper for printing stuff on with a printer, 8"
    x 10, 100 sheets per pack." The specifications are far far more detailed. They
    know and specify EXACTLY what they want. Then you have quality control people who
    will do random inspections of various batches right at the plant. They check HOW a
    product is made. They have to see the process whereby the product is made to those
    specifications.

    Granted, someone may not have been doing their job, and companies will sometimes
    compromise even the safety of foods or medicne to make a buck, but companies like
    Sam's can't afford to screw over their customers for long.

    Petey the Wonder Dog, Mar 27, 2005
  17. SamSez

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I am 7th generation 'Texian'. It might take some research to find out
    exactly what that means. Unfortunately, I was BORN in New Orleans, but
    it WASN'T MY FAULT!

    Ron Hunter, Mar 27, 2005
  18. How about if it's neither a trick nor a mistake...

    One of the ploys that companies like Sam's, (+ Walmart of course,) and Costco do is
    buy millions of dollars worth of product and when the manufacturer ramps up their
    product to the increased demand, the big store demands price decreases or threatens
    to bail out. The manufacturer has no choice but to lower quality to get to the lower
    price.

    Petey the Wonder Dog, Mar 27, 2005
  19. SamSez

    Big Bill Guest

    Ah, yes... 60 Minutes.
    The *Paragon* of objective reporting!

    Big Bill, Mar 27, 2005
  20. SamSez

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Not to chance. I am sure they examine samples, and set specifications,
    or approve a product based on production samples of a current product.
    But surely you understand that they can't inspect every shipment to
    verify that quality remains the same.
    Sam's sells thousands of products. How many people do you think they
    can have inspecting merchandise that way and still make a profit.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 27, 2005