    Douglas,
    Please keep your anti-American trash in appropriate newsgroups.
    You are getting annoying.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 26, 2005

  2. SamSez

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Well, I used to be almost as excitable, until I was diagnosed with HBP.
    Perhaps he would live longer (and happier) with medication. Actually,
    I suspect he is just a product of the distorted view of the US
    engendered by news media both here, and in other countries.
    Funny thing is, in this case, his OWN government is very much on the
    side of the US.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 26, 2005

  3. SamSez

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Speaking for myself. I am a Texan, and we believe in shooting first,
    and being around to ask questions later.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 26, 2005
  4. SamSez

    Ron Hunter Guest

    And didn't they?
    Sam's stocks thousands of items, many of which change frequently. I
    doubt they examine every shipment of every product to assure that
    quality hasn't been compromised. They rely on customer complaints to
    catch such things.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 26, 2005
  5. SamSez

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Also, most customers wouldn't know the difference unless they has
    purchased the product before any change.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 26, 2005
  6. SamSez

    Steve Guest

    Out of curiosity have you looked carefully at the box for a product number you can
    compare? Why a company with a known name like Ilford would allow an inferior product
    to be sold with exactly the same name puzzles me somewhat. My cynical side figures
    they know some people will get burned, but believe their bottom line will still
    benefit from the extra sales to the budget crowd. Come to think of it, the rest of me
    thinks that way nowadays, too.

    I once bought 3 disposable cameras that had both the Fujifilm and Walmart brands on
    the package intending to use them in an underwater camera housing that was supposed
    to take Fujifilm disposables. Apparently the Walmart version was a slightly different
    size, so the controls didn't quite work. I have no idea what else might have been
    different, and I don't think the price was much different than any other place I
    might have gone.

    To their credit, Walmart refunded the price for all 3, even though I had managed a
    couple of shots on one and opened all 3. Initially the manager of the camera
    department said he couldn't accept them since he wouldn't be able to sell them, but
    after a bit of bitching another manager told the returns desk help to step on them
    and say they were broken when the customer opened them if need be. Since the counter
    was under a sign that said something about 100% customer satisfaction I don't think
    they had much choice about issuing a refund.

    --
    Steve

    belief that it was intended as a statement of fact.

    If you want a reply to reach me, remove the SPAMTRAP from the address.

    Steve, Mar 26, 2005
  7. SamSez

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I doubt that Wal-mart was complicit in this case, and the average
    Wal-mart employee gets $9.96/hour, plus one of the best profit sharing
    plans in the business. Don't feel too sorry for them. The charges of
    underpayment are made by labor unions because Wal-Mart won't put up with
    their extortion.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 26, 2005
  8. SamSez

    Ron Hunter Guest

    No, I wouldn't, and neither, I suspect did Sam's. It is not practical
    to open every package they receive to verify that the supplier isn't
    compromising quality or quantity. That's where customer feedback comes
    in. I rather suspect Sam's would take action against a supplier who
    didn't supply the product as agreed.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 26, 2005
  9. SamSez

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Probably not. But then if you take a job, you have to know that
    part-time and full-time don't get the same benefits. ALL companies try
    to manage their benefits packages to assure that their business makes a
    profit and is still around to pay their employees NEXT year.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 26, 2005
  10. SamSez

    Steve Guest

    Both of them. Sam's is to blame for selling a product with the same name whenthey've
    specifically negotiated for a product with different specs. Ilford is to blame for
    cooperating.

    Steve, Mar 26, 2005
  11. SamSez

    Steve Guest

    You really think the purchasing agents for the world's largest retailer don't know
    exactly what they're ordering in million and multi-million dollar lots?

    I don't doubt for a second that most of their customers don't know the difference.

    Steve, Mar 26, 2005
  12. Actually that is a bit deceptive. Quite a few companies do (or did at
    least) try to ensure that their employees were around next year and
    healthy and doing pretty well. Walmart certainly sells us the idea
    that they treat their employees really well. But having policies that
    ensure that they don't get health care is not treating them well. The
    stockholders of a company are not the only stakeholders in that
    company

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Matt Silberstein, Mar 26, 2005
  13. Funny, I thought that was the kind of idea we were crusading against.
    My mistake.

    --
    Matt Silberstein

    Matt Silberstein, Mar 26, 2005
  14. SamSez

    Rick Brandt Guest

    There was a documentary on CNN (I believe) recently that explored how Wal-Mart
    conducts business with its suppliers. After watching that I can tell you that
    it is almost a certainty that Ilford solicited Wal-Mart to sell their product
    and offered a wholesale price for doing so after which Wal-Mart
    "counter-offered" with "We will be glad to sell your product. Here is the
    wholesale price that you _will_ sell it to us for."

    This non-negotiable price that Wal-Mart specifies in a very high percentage of
    cases forces the supplier to cut costs somewhere to make any profit at all and I
    suspect that this is what Ilford did. I agree that a change in the
    name/packaging would have been a better service to the final consumer.

    Rick Brandt, Mar 26, 2005
  15. SamSez

    SamSez Guest

    Yes, if you have the two packages both in hand [unlikely in a store, and
    impossible for the pack that I ordered over the web], the UPC numbers and other
    code numbers are different on the packages -- but the UPC and code numbers on
    Corn Flakes boxes are also often different between warehouse and retail due to
    different sizing, combined packing, etc., and yet, this consumers' reasonable
    expectation is that identical names means identical contents.

    Yes, I'm sure that Sams will take the product back, though it will represent a
    bit of a hassle, as the pearl pack was web order and the glossy pack was from a
    retail location [and I'm not sure I even have the retail receipt any more]. But
    that was not the point of my original post -- the point was to note to the good
    readers of this group that the paper you buy from your local retail photo shop
    is potentially a higher quality that what you might think you are getting when
    you buy the identically labeled brand name product at a warehouse club -- at
    least for this particular brand.

    Recall too, one recent 'inkjet print longevity' thread in this very group was
    based on prints made on paper bought at a warehouse club, so the value of what
    we learned there is also in question.

    And the bigger question remains -- does this experience apply to the several
    other major name brands of named photo inkjet papers sold at all the various
    warehouse clubs? I never thought so before, but now I'm not so sure. Anyone
    from Kodak, HP, or Epson care to comment?

    SamSez, Mar 26, 2005
  16. SamSez

    Kitt Guest

    Why does Microsoft get most of the attention from hackers? They're the
    biggest target is why. They're no better or worse than any other
    software maker. They just have more exposure. Same with Wal Mart.
    How many "news exposes" have you seen on Target or Kmart? Yet if you
    did, I feel pretty certain you'd find the same complaints. I know a
    lot of people who work for other retail chains and Wal Mart is far
    better than most as a place to work. Their legal woes get more press
    because they have way more employees and way deeper pockets for the
    legal leeches to dip into. Ask Food Lion or George Bush what it's like
    to be attacked by "news" people with an agenda. I suggest that CNN
    "documentaries" should be taken with a grain of salt. I've watched
    that particular one twice and if you pay attention, you'll hear that
    only a few of their disgruntled ex-employees and ex-vendors make the
    accusations. Everybody else seems somewhere between ecstatic and
    reasonably happy with Wal Mart and most of the accusations are flatly
    denied or said to be greatly exaggerated.

    Kitt, Mar 26, 2005
  17. SamSez

    Ron Hunter Guest

    Don't include me in that 'we'. Who IS 'we'?
    Can you imagine how the world would be different had all of Europe, and
    the US, gotten together to kick Hitler out before he had invaded anyone
    but Poland?

    Ron Hunter, Mar 26, 2005
  18. SamSez

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I sense that you think this Wal-Mart policy is wrong, but if it is, then
    all large companies are doing the same wrong thing. Don't you think
    that Sears/KMart doesn't do the same thing? Haven't you read how GM,
    Chrysler, and Ford 'manage' their parts suppliers? It's called
    controlling costs to make a profit.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 26, 2005
  19. SamSez

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I am sorry, but I can't see any reason to expect ANY company to provide
    healthcare for its employees. In point of fact, MOST small companies
    CAN'T if they hope to remain in business. It is pretty generous for any
    company to provide healthcare for ANY of their employees. I am glad
    they DO, but I can't see how this is any basic right.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 26, 2005
  20. SamSez

    Ron Hunter Guest

    I have bought several different types of Kodak paper at Sam's, and at
    other places. Haven't noticed any difference in quality (and not much
    in price, either), but I have noticed that my previous favorite for
    making greeeting cards, the Kodak soft gloss glossy on both sides paper
    is no longer available at Sam's. I guess Kodak refused to meet Sam's
    price point.

    Ron Hunter, Mar 26, 2005