    router.

    Which is neater/better.

    Thanks for your help.

    F9, Jun 20, 2005

  2. a simple wireless access point will suffice, plugged into one of your
    router ports.
    you didn't explain your outside connectivity, but I'm guessing fromt
    he question that you have an ADSL modem/router, if you replaced this
    with one including wireless it would be a single box solution so a bit
    neater.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jun 20, 2005

  3. F9

    Alex Fraser Guest

    You can do either. If you use ADSL, there is the Netgear DG834G, for
    example.
    I think a single box (replacing your current router) is obviously neater,
    simply because it is one less box and plug-top PSU. A seperate AP may be
    better, since you can locate it somewhere seperate from the router for
    better signal/coverage (if necessary). You could move a combined router too,
    but that will involve the cables connecting the two computers plus the WAN
    cable (ie telephone line if you use ADSL).

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, Jun 20, 2005
  4. Yes - all agreed.

    Another reason to have a seperate access point from your router is
    security. With a seperate AP you can firewall it off seperately from
    the router, it gives you another line of defence.

    Also, buying a seperate AP will generally be twenty quid or more
    cheaper than an all-in-one WiFi router.

    Finally, if a new WiFi standard such as 802.11N takes hold, it will be
    cheaper to upgrade a seperate AP than an all-in-one.

    So buy a seperate AP only if:
    * You need to save twenty quid, or
    * You anticipate upgrading to a newer WiFi standard, or
    * You anticipate coverage problems where ease of re-positioning the AP
    is important, or
    * You have specific security needs, such as you intend to open the
    WiFi up to guests or the public through a firewall.

    Otherwise get an all-in-one unit.

    Andrew Oakley, Jun 20, 2005
  5. F9

    F9 Guest

    Hi. Yes, have ADSL 4-port router at present. So a wi-fi modem router also
    has ethernet sockets on it for wired computers?

    Sorry for being thick, but it's not easy to get to a shop to physicall
    handle one and they are usually shrink wrapped.

    Thanks.

    F9, Jun 20, 2005
  6. yes, at least one for setting it up (Imagine diabling wireless access
    while setting it up wirelessly). Many have 4.
    read the specs on the net. There is a Belkin and Netgear with 4 ports,
    and the Tesco Linksys has only one but other Linksys models have 4.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jun 20, 2005
  7. F9

    David Rance Guest

    But you can find out what you want from the manufacturers' web pages.
    Try this, for example:

    http://www.usr.com/download/datasheets/networking/8054/8054-ds.pdf

    David

    David Rance, Jun 20, 2005
  8. F9

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    I prefer the all-in-one approach. A Wirelss router/ADSL modem/Firewall
    etc can be had new for around £65 from places such as www.dabs.com

    Jon, Jun 20, 2005
  9. F9

    tougharms Guest

    In addition, a separate AP can be switched off when not required. If you
    are using the wired connection, do you need to be broadcasting wi-fi all
    the time? If someone is desperate to hack your wi-fi (or has nothing
    else to do) surely it is easier for them the longer the wi-fi is on.

    Switching it off when not required has to be more secure than any
    encryption. (Just call me paranoid!)

    I had linksys all in one, I could disable wi-fi if required, but this
    can only be enabled again from wired connection. So if I forgot to
    enable before switching off wired connection (on desktop PC), I could
    not use either laptop or PDA to access internet.

    I would have to switch on desktop PC, wait for windoze to load, log on
    (password), enter wireless setup (another password) and enable wi-fi.
    taking approx 4-5 min. Now I have wired network with separate wi-fi AP,
    all I have to do is flick 2 mains switches.

    tougharms, Jun 21, 2005
  10. F9

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    As can the WiFi of a wireless router when not required.

    Jon, Jun 21, 2005
  11. F9

    poster Guest

    But as with an external 56k modem, or a router (my ISDN one, for example)
    it would be possible to use a simple time switch to turn on/off and thus
    allow/disallow access. Try disabling the wireless facility on a timer!

    poster, Jun 21, 2005
  12. easy - set the IP range allocated to the wireless clients to be denied
    access at certain times of the day with the router's access control
    and scheduling functions.

    sorry :)

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jun 21, 2005
  13. F9

    Alex Fraser Guest

    But can probably only be re-enabled using a computer wired to the router,
    which may not be as convenient as flicking a mains switch. That, I think,
    was tougharm's point.

    Alex

    Alex Fraser, Jun 21, 2005
  14. F9

    Conor Guest

    And a point taken from the same as yours by not looking at the solution
    from more than one angle. As someone else has said, only allow access
    to certain IP addresses at certain times and make sure the WiFi NICs
    use those IP addresses.

    Conor, Jun 21, 2005
  15. F9

    tougharms Guest

    Spot on!

    The wi-fi was enabled/disable from a web page front end. It could be
    disabled over the wireless connection, but once disabled it could only be
    enabled by the wired connection. This was obviously a real downer if you
    need to use laptop wirelessly but wireless is disabled.

    tougharms, Jun 21, 2005
  16. F9

    tougharms Guest

    Is there software available that can do this?
    What happens if you want to use wi-fi outside the specified times?

    tougharms, Jun 21, 2005
  17. standard on some routers, parental control type stuff. Time -based
    access blocking by IP address, MAC code or whatever.
    you have to change it via the wired interface or a wireless PC that
    isn't included in the block list. Yes, this would take longer than
    walking to the AP and switching it on.

    Of course if the sole objective is security then you may as well use
    the IP address / MAC address facilities to deny access to anything
    else and just leave the wireless on.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jun 22, 2005
  18. F9

    Jon Guest

    declared for all the world to hear...
    I can easily grant/deny access based on time and IP range both wired and
    wireless.

    Jon, Jun 22, 2005
  19. F9

    tougharms Guest

    I do use these. My firewall only allows specified IP addresses and router
    blocks all but allowed MAC addresses, but both can be copied/cloned. I
    still figure that the best security is to switch it off.

    tougharms, Jun 23, 2005
  20. reckon so. My mum unplugs all electrical appliances every night on a
    similar basis.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jun 23, 2005