    Any ideas or advice would be much appreciated.

    Cheers

    Chris

    Guest, Jul 7, 2006

  2. Guest

    BD Guest

    Yeah...read this NG.

    --
    Bigus Di©kus
    MCNGP #51
    -- MCNGP.com - Define irony: a bunch of idiots dancing around on a plane to a
    song made famous by a band that died in a plane crash.
    -- www.SWPPM.com

    BD, Jul 7, 2006

  3. Guest

    LoopBack Guest

    If you're intending on buying the books, buy them one at a time. Study
    it. Also get as much info from various places other than just the Ms
    press books, this will flesh out your knowledge and give you a better
    understanding of the material you are studying for. For example read KB
    articles on MS website - which cover the core topics, it's free.

    The most expense you'll really have is getting equipment to test on, to
    build your experience. You can get virtual server from MS (just google
    for it). I'd recommend a fairly beefy machine for running virtual
    machines on.

    Also, dont worry about becoming an MCSE directly, view that as your
    long term goal. First you have MCP, then MCSA to complete.

    Buy your exam's one at a time. Their is a nice fella on this here froup
    called rev, who has offered his trainer ref, which is good for a 20%
    discount. google the group for "rev" and "discount"

    okay, that's my good deed.

    LoopBack, Jul 7, 2006
  4. Guest

    Guest Guest

    I recently completed my MCSE April 3rd. I took my first test on January 30th
    and completed my last test April 3rd. That having been said, ignore these
    types of statements because the length of time doesnt matter, completion
    does. I begin with this because I know that I felt pressure from other
    people telling me how they "Boot Camped" in a week, or they completed it
    start to finish in a month, or two months, or whatever. Dont worry about
    that kind of pressure. When the customer sees you are an MCSE, they wont
    care that you got it in 3 weeks or 30 months.

    When it comes down to it, I had three goals:

    * Establish myself as an MCP.
    * Certify myself to MCSA level.
    * As time permits, certify to MCSE level.

    My company was extremely supportive but not everyone has that luxury. I
    purchased a few hard copy books, one at a time to support whatever my
    particular concentration was at the time.

    Purchase the resources online. It will save you money for each book.

    Seek out online resources related to exam preparation. These can cost you a
    fair bit of money but provide an excellent exposure path to the type and
    method of exam questions. This is particularly useful going into your first
    test.

    Dont be afraid of failure. If possible, try to get your first test out of
    the way this month as Microsoft is running a second attempt free deal to
    retake tests before the offer expires.

    Clocks

    Guest, Jul 7, 2006
  5. Guest

    vlape Guest

    Second Shot expired. You must have taken your inital test by June
    30th. Knowing that i took my 298 on the 30th and ran out of time to
    answer all of the questions. sucked.... had i answered 4 more i would
    have passed. Luckily the next dat i took again ahd got high 800's.
    Watch out for the 298 man, it is a bear!

    vlape, Jul 8, 2006
  6. Guest

    Cerebrus Guest

    You also might check out other sources of the books, such as
    second-hand books on Amazon. Also, people who have achieved MCSE
    sometimes sell off their certification prep books. See if you can get
    in touch with anyone of that ilk. As LoopBack rightly said, view MCSE
    as your long term goal, and then your short term goals will seem more
    attainable.

    Cerebrus, Jul 8, 2006