Want to sync Itunes to removable disk but can't name folder with \

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Boppy, Aug 9, 2010.

  1. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Hi guys,

    I want to sync itunes with my new HTC Touch 2 phone and have tried to
    set it up using the same syncing software I've used with my iRiver
    till now.

    My phone has 32mb but I have installed a card with 4 gb. Unfortunately
    I can't get it to sync to the removable disk because the sync software
    wants the directory to start with \ and Windows 7 won't let me rename
    the folder with \ (or other characters) in its name.

    Any suggestions on how to get around this problem? Is there a secret
    way to include \ in a name?

    Thanks in advance for your comments.

    Boppy, Aug 9, 2010

  2. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    Perhaps it want a UNC naming convention?

    So try, \\<your PC name>\<shared music folder name>

    Dave Doe, Aug 9, 2010

  3. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    eg.
    \\server1\mp3

    Dave Doe, Aug 9, 2010
  4. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Boppy, Aug 9, 2010
  5. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    >,
    says...

    Dave Doe, Aug 10, 2010
  6. Boppy

    Another Me Guest

    iTunes supports MP3, AAC, and Apple Lossless. He won't be using Apple
    Lossless (as he said he was using an iRiver), so why do you thing AAC is
    proprietory?

    Another Me, Aug 10, 2010
  7. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    Dunno, just assumed it was - I've never used iTunes. If that's the
    case, then perhaps Boppy can just ditch iTunes and use some other s/w
    and sync to the HTC, as it sounds to me that iTunes doesn't support it.

    Dave Doe, Aug 10, 2010
  8. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    I should add, that it's not so much of a file format issue, as it is
    really an iTunes issue. eg. how do you get an iTunes library into
    another media player. They seem to have proprietory stuff throughout
    iTunes with the intention of capturing you in there.

    Dave Doe, Aug 10, 2010
  9. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    >,
    says...

    Dave Doe, Aug 10, 2010
  10. Boppy

    Dave Doe Guest

    And I also note in the email he has a Touch Pro 2, not Touch 2 - my bad.

    Dave Doe, Aug 10, 2010
  11. Boppy

    Another Me Guest

    Just get another piece of software and import the music to it. iTunes
    has its own library, but the music is stored in a standard format (AAC
    or MP3) which are both read by a number of devices and software.

    Another Me, Aug 10, 2010
  12. Boppy

    Boppy Guest

    Thanks for replies, folks.
    What I have discovered is that I can use Itunes Sync (a free download)
    to sync to my external storage card if I insert it in my camera card
    reader. Not as nice as syncing directly to an ipod but nearly. Faster
    than syncing to my iriver too.
    Cheers,

    Boppy, Aug 13, 2010