    Sorry this is probably a long post, I'm not the greatest at this networking stuff so please bare with me. :D

    I want to redo my entire home network. I have a large home one part is 2500 sq ft, and then a shop/apartment that is not connected to the house and it is 2300 sq ft. I'm running a modem/router in my main home now from my ISP (rogers Canada)then i have a cat 5 cable running out of that to the shop/apartment to a Belkin router acting as a range extender. on the network we have 6 Iphones, 2 ipads, 3 apple TVs (two in the main house, one in the shop/apartment.) 2 laptops, 1 pc desktop, 1 Imac. I want to be able to stream to every apple TV from every PC or mac, I want to be able to access and transfer files from Shop/apartment computers to the main home. I would also like to have a wireless hard drive to back up all these computers on.

    I know I am going to need multiply devices to accomplish all this, and that is fine. I just need to know what products are the best to try and help me accomplish what i would like to accomplish.

    Hit, Oct 19, 2013

  2. Hit

    dirtydirtyboy

    Joined:
    Dec 8, 2013
    Messages:
    2
    Likes Received:
    0
    Personally, I would go for the more difficult option of running cat6 or 6e network cable to every room that you need to access to your network (at least 4 points in each room) and a large network switch next to your router. You could then plug in routers to act as a WiFi extender anywhere you can't get WiFi from you main modem. I done this with my house, bought all my stuff off eBay. I used cat6 rather than cat 5 as there wasn't much difference in price and thought I should put the best cabling in as I didn't want to have to do it again when cat5 has become obsolete.

    A wired NAS would be cheaper and faster than a wireless one.

    What ever you choose, good luck

    dirtydirtyboy, Dec 8, 2013