    Lloyd Jones Guest

    No

    LJ

    Lloyd Jones, Aug 4, 2004

  3. JK

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    DeMoN LaG, Aug 4, 2004
  4. JK

    Judd Guest

    No... unless I was jobless and had no life

    Judd, Aug 4, 2004
  5. <SNIP>
    God I love people...I mean this is the equivalent of saying that if you have
    a hobby outside of work that you are a loser. I assume then Judd that you
    goto work, come home, eat, sleep then goto work? Because if you do anything
    else you must not have a life. Just as in anything else there are
    extremeists, but for the majority most people play games to help unwind and
    get a little enjoyment. Some people fish, some people build model
    airplanes, some people play video games.

    Chris Stolworthy, Aug 4, 2004
  6. JK

    Hamman Guest

    I assume then Judd that you
    You missed spending hours on usenet out!

    hamman

    Hamman, Aug 4, 2004
  7. JK

    Plato Guest

    Serious? That's not enough for 3?

    Plato, Aug 5, 2004
  8. JK

    Plato Guest

    Hey, d00m is where 3D gaming all began.

    Plato, Aug 5, 2004
  9. JK

    Lou Guest

    I think your video card is the problem. I bet a ATI 9800 would make it more
    playable.

    Lou, Aug 5, 2004
  10. JK

    Doug Guest

    No, Actually, I think it was Duke Nukem 3D before Doom wasn't it? I always
    considered that to be the REAL 1st PC game to come out worth a hoot!

    Doug, Aug 5, 2004
  11. JK

    kony Guest

    Another frame of reference, I deliberately tested similar enough
    to their minimum spec'd system,

    GF3Ti500
    Athlon XP2000
    384MB

    Demo1 = ~ 20FPS 800x600, low quality

    Raising clock speed of CPU by FSB increase (w/ sync'd memory)
    showed nearly linear framerate increase.

    HOWEVER, in the gameplay it wasn't "horrible" at 1024x768, medium
    quality, 16bpp textures (no FSAA). It did occasionally stutter,
    I suspect the limitation was the vidcard's 64MB memory, 'tis
    better to have 128MB onboard mem for medium quality.

    The game WAS quite playable at 800x600 low-quality, much better
    than the timedemo framerate, but with those (minimal eye-candy)
    settings much of the splendor of it was gone... looked more
    detailed but no "wow" effect.

    kony, Aug 5, 2004
  12. JK

    patrick Guest

    I bet that you also think that Microsoft offers the least expensive, yet
    best, OS on the planet...

    patrick, Aug 5, 2004
  13. JK

    yak Guest

    wolfenstein came before doom did it not?

    yak, Aug 5, 2004
  14. JK

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    Windows 2000/XP is great for the average client. However, I do have a
    webserver running Linux (RedHat 9) and am in the process of configuring a
    new email server/web server/enemy territory server based on Fedora Core 3
    RC1. So far I've got the email server up and running, apache is installed
    but not configured (and is lacking PHP support), and I haven't even started
    on the ET server. I figure by next weekend the entire thing will be done,
    and I just need to find a place to colo it.

    DeMoN LaG, Aug 5, 2004
  15. IIRC it was Wolfenstein 3D.

    Chris Pollard

    Christopher Pollard, Aug 5, 2004
  16. A) Wolf3d was first
    B) I thought Duke3d was closer to to the first quake game (in terms of
    the time it came out).

    -Steve

    Stephen Gordon, Aug 5, 2004
  17. Yeah, Duke 3D was way ahead of Doom in that you could have different vertical
    levels IIKWIM. With Doom, you couldn't be directly above or below an enemy.

    Chris Pollard

    Christopher Pollard, Aug 5, 2004
  18. JK

    Conor Guest

    No. Duke3D came out around the same time as Doom2.

    Conor, Aug 5, 2004
  19. JK

    Alex Johnson Guest

    From the detailed review I saw, video card makes a HUGE difference.
    The Gefore4 Ti4400 is near the minimum spec (either lowest or second to
    lowest). The game works great at 3200+ and 512MB RAM. But without a
    better video card, that is the limiting factor. You need at least an FX
    or Radeon 9600 for acceptable performance, and don't expect great
    performance without the latest PC-Express video cards.

    Alex

    Alex Johnson, Aug 5, 2004
  20. JK

    JK Guest