    have any ideas as to the easiest/cheapest way to accomplish this?

    Thanks in advance...

    Dick

    Dick, Feb 6, 2009

  2. Dick

    Dave Guest

    plug a wireless access point into a modem/router/switch port.

    Dave, Feb 6, 2009

  3. Dick

    Big_Al Guest

    Dave said this on 2/6/2009 1:42 PM:
    Some wireless routers can be configured to operate as an access point
    (AP). I'm not sure how to tell you to find them since not every
    manufacturer will advertise the feature, you can read specs till you
    turn blue, but I got my hands on a Belkin wireless router a few months
    back and it had one question about becoming an access point. Once you
    said yes, a lot of the other questions grayed out! Which is proper
    since you don't need a vast majority of the setup if you are an access
    point. Now the wireless router just became an extension of the main
    router with a few more jacks and an antenna. Just what I wanted, more
    connections and a better antenna (that was my problem, the radio part of
    my main router went bad).

    Big_Al, Feb 6, 2009
  4. Hi
    The most cost effective way to get Wireless under this condition is to buy a
    Wireless Cable/DSL Router and configure it as a switch with an Access Point.
    Here how - Using a Wireless Router as a switch with an Access Point -
    http://www.ezlan.net/router_AP.html
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 6, 2009
  5. Jack,

    Thanks, that was exactly what I was looking for. I'll report back on my
    success/failure.

    Dick

    newsgroups.comcast.net, Feb 6, 2009
  6. Dick

    Dick Guest

    Jack,

    Preliminary results show that local lan access is fine, but I can't get to
    the internet (which is required). It appears that 'name resolution is
    goofed up (technical term) due to no gateway/dns addresses for the wireless
    workstation.

    Any further ideas...

    Dick

    Dick, Feb 7, 2009
  7. Hi
    Use the IPConfig utility and post the result here.
    Usually the DNS should be the core IP number of main Router.
    I.e. (as an example) if the core IP of the SMC is 192.168.1.1 that should be
    the Gateway and the DNS.
    make sure that the DHCP on the Wireless device is off and the Wireless
    computer gets its IP from the SMC DHCP.
    Jack (MS, MVP-Networking)

    Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 7, 2009
  8. I have a desktop XP Professional, and a Comcast modem for
    the Internet. A cable goes from the Comcast modem to a
    Belkin router. A cable goes from the Belkin to my desktop,
    and I get the Internet. We have a XP Professional portable
    that gets the Internet via wireless. Everything is fine.

    We have a second portable, XP Home that we wish to connect
    to the Internet via wireless. We do not know how. Please
    help us. If we connect the XP Home via a cable to the
    Belkin, things are fine. Without the cable, the wireless
    gives the message "Limited or no connectivity". On the Home
    computer, we can locate the network, it finds the Belkin,
    and it says it has a strong signal.

    We called Belkin support. They said we have to disable the
    code on the desktop, so that all computers can then
    automatically find the correct IP. We do not want to disable
    working systems, and so are reluctant to follow this advice.

    Hope you have something to tell us what we can do with the
    XP Home portable to get wireless.

    Thanks very much in advance.

    Sanford Aranoff, Feb 8, 2009
  9. Dick

    Dick Guest

    Well, all is working fine. I don't know why it didn't work the first time.
    I rebooted everything (routers, switches, pc's) and everything works as
    advertised.

    Thaanks again, Jack, for pointing me in the right direction.

    Dick

    Dick, Feb 8, 2009
  10. Jack \(MVP-Networking\)., Feb 8, 2009