    I personally use Firebird, and while I agree it has some ways to go,
    Microsoft is pretty much going to end up copying everything it does,
    while FB is on to bigger and better things.

    Night_Seer, Nov 17, 2003

  2. Mr. Majestik

    Ardent Guest

    You said it. So far the best, IMHO, version was 5.12. I have
    downloaded and tried every release right up to 7.20 and within hours
    went back to 5.12

    With a couple of tweaks (Courtesy: Axel) it works great - a few sites
    it cannot render I does not matter.

    Ardent, Nov 18, 2003

  3. Mr. Majestik

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    In

    | So I ask one more time, what exactly does not fit your needs as a
    | simple, easy to use browser?

    Even though the question was not asked of me, I will repeat what I have
    said earlier.

    Mozilla does not render some pages correctly. Menu buttons on these
    pages are missing, and layouts are screwed. My bank's pages are an
    example, but there are others.

    The email client is great, but the newsreader does not fit my needs. I
    want to have my newsgroups listed in alphabetical order, and not in
    order subscribed. I do not want the newsgroup names to be truncated by
    default. I want a universal Views which work.

    Certainly I can switch between browsers as required, but I should not
    have to. Would you keep two telephones - one which received and made
    calls to all networks, and one which only worked on 90% of networks and
    had to be unplugged and replaced with the first one for certain calls?

    I *do* want Mozilla to succeed, and will certainly download and try a
    later version because I want to get off the MS bandwagon as far as
    possible.

    Oldus Fartus, Nov 18, 2003
  4. Mr. Majestik

    DeMoN LaG Guest

    With respect to your complaint about menus and bank sites not working, it
    is not a fault of the Mozilla team. Some people forget that there are
    standards in web design, and design pages around proprietary features
    (Netscape's old layers tag and IEs document object model), and it is
    extremely difficult to be both standard complient and IE complient at the
    same time. The problem with designing a page around a certain browser and
    it's bugs is sometimes even a newer version of the same browser renders the
    page wrong because the bug got fixed/proprietary feature got changed.
    Mozilla has a Tech Evangelism category, where they contact web masters and
    attempt to help them make their pages standards complient. What bank do
    you use?

    --
    AIM: FrznFoodClerk (actually me)
    website: under construction

    DeMoN LaG, Nov 18, 2003
  5. Mr. Majestik

    Oldus Fartus Guest

    In
    | @otis.netspace.net.au:
    |
    || I *do* want Mozilla to succeed, and will certainly download and try a
    || later version because I want to get off the MS bandwagon as far as
    || possible.
    |
    | With respect to your complaint about menus and bank sites not
    | working, it is not a fault of the Mozilla team. Some people forget
    | that there are standards in web design, and design pages around
    | proprietary features (Netscape's old layers tag and IEs document
    | object model), and it is extremely difficult to be both standard
    | complient and IE complient at the same time. The problem with
    | designing a page around a certain browser and it's bugs is sometimes
    | even a newer version of the same browser renders the page wrong
    | because the bug got fixed/proprietary feature got changed. Mozilla
    | has a Tech Evangelism category, where they contact web masters and
    | attempt to help them make their pages standards complient. What bank
    | do you use?

    Answering your last question first, I use an Australian Credit Union,
    but the internet banking, online balance checking, and the like are
    provided by a third party called "The System Works", which is used by
    most of the Credit Unions and smaller banks in this country.
    http://203.58.62.77/home/default.asp has a little bit about them.

    Let's get on to the first point though. I do not have a complaint
    about Mozilla. I tried several versions, it does not do what I want it
    to, so I uninstalled it rather than switch between two browsers to do
    what I wish to do. I definately will try it again but for now, thank
    you, but no thanks.

    As a user I do not care whose fault it is that the pages mentioned, and
    some others, do not work properly - I just want them to work. Whether
    that is done by a Tech Evangalism group contacting these particular
    webmasters and working with them to solve the problem, or whether the
    Mozilla team works around it in another way, once again I do not care.
    Just make it work!

    This certainly can be done. I have a Linux box here I crank up from
    time to time, and so far (on the pages I access) I find no such
    problems.

    Mozilla is a good product - but with a little more work it could be a
    *great* product.

    Oldus Fartus, Nov 18, 2003