Wanadoo / BT broadand problem - no ADSL carrier?

Discussion in 'Home Networking' started by Martin Underwood, Oct 5, 2005.

  1. Dave wrote in message
    :
    I visited my customer again today and confirmed the following:

    - the master socket is a simple whole-faceplate type, rather than one with a
    half-faceplate that plugs into an internal test socket
    - there is only one cable connected within the socket, so there isn't any
    additional house wiring and second socket elsewhere
    - the log file for the router (Dlink G604T) shows continuous alternation
    between "DSL is down" and "DSL is training"
    - the attenuation is (don't laugh!) 62 dB up and down
    - the noise margin is 20 dB up but (don't laugh!) 0 dB down
    - the line speed is showing as 0 Kb/sec - I wonder why... ;-)

    With attenuation of over 60 dB and noise margin of 0 dB in the downstream
    direction, isn't no wonder the router isn't connecting!!!

    Intriguingly, with the ADSL lead unplugged the router's ADSL status shows as
    "Disconnected" whereas with it plugged in it shows as "Connecting", so the
    router can at least distinguish the two cases, even if the attenuation and
    noise margin show the same for both.

    I've got the customer's ISP to book a visit by a BT broadband engineer to
    investigate. I hope he actually turns up and doesn't say "the line test
    shows no fault so there's no need for me to make a home visit".

    Martin Underwood, Oct 7, 2005