WAN technologies are confusing....

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by ike lozada, Apr 12, 2004.

  1. ike lozada

    ike lozada Guest

    Hi experts,

    please feel free to correct and add additional basic info to my
    outline below in regards to wide area networking...?

    frame relay is packet switched while a private line is a dedicated
    line (can be wireless or wired) ..correct? so is a point to point the
    same as dedicated line? when to use VPN? are there any other
    technologies aside from those listed below that was missed?

    I'm looking for just basic info that can be discussed with management
    in regards to choosing an ISP and what technologies are available...

    TIA

    Leased line

    A. Fixed wireless
    1. Microwave
    Frame-relay
    Private line (either to public internet or one point to another)
    VPN
    Point to point
    ISDN
    2. satellite
    frame-relay
    private line
    VPN
    Point to point
    ISDN
    B. Copper
    Frame-relay
    ISDN
    Private line (either to public internet or one point to another)
    VPN
    Point to point

    C.Fiber
    Frame-relay
    ISDN
    Private line (either to public internet or one point
    to another)
    VPN
    Point to point

    D. Dsl
    Adsl

    Sdsl

    Xdsl

    E. CABLE internet

    ike lozada, Apr 12, 2004

  2. ike lozada

    rowl Guest

    so is a point to point the
    Generally when one refers to dedicated, it means from your office
    branch to other branch without touching the Internet. However both
    "dedicated" and your connection to the Internet is also point-to-point
    - upto a point really (pardon the pun). So always use the phrase
    "dedicated" to be more accurate.
    You missed Telepathy ... but don't recommend that to the management
    yet ... ;)
    Heres your list edited for consistency
    A.
    Internet Gateway
    C.

    when to use VPN?
    If you get an Internet leased line via copper or otherwise, and want
    to encrypt your communication so that no-one else can see it or use
    authenticated communication then you can consider VPNs. Frame-relay is
    commonly called VPN service although strictly it does not serve the
    purpose when assured security is desired.

    Rgrds
    Rahul Sawarkar

    rowl, Apr 12, 2004

  3. ike lozada

    ike lozada Guest

    Hi,

    I don't understand what you meant by "consistency", I actually got
    even more confused when you edited them...

    ike lozada, Apr 13, 2004
  4. ike lozada

    rowl Guest

    Yep ! Thats my kinda consistency... Go Figure ...

    rowl, Apr 14, 2004