    Evidently the Sony-Betamax decision doesn't cover copying movies to an
    iPod.

    Gosh darn those awful Internet movie pirates!

    Modemac, Dec 6, 2006

  2. Modemac

    Rich Clark Guest

    Why does it have to mean that? Maybe it means that you don't have a
    computer, or don't want to bother ripping your own DVDs, or just think
    it's more convenient to get the movie on your iPod *right now*, or any
    number of things.
    This is not evidence of that. It's evidence that Walmart thinks they
    can make money selling this service.
    You sound like Chicken Little.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Dec 6, 2006

  3. Modemac

    leo86 Guest

    Once upon a time, if you wanted to watch something, here's what you
    did. First, you looked in the TV Guide or your newspaper's TV listings
    and found out when it was on. Then you made plans to be home when it
    was on and be sitting in front of the TV set when the program started.
    At the appointed time, you pressed a button on your TV set and the
    screen slowly lit up and you turned the channel dial to the correct
    channel and then you sat down and watched it. When it was over, you
    could choose between watching the next program that was on or turning
    the TV off to go do something else. If you liked what you saw and felt
    a desire to see it again, you would have to wait until the TV station
    which showed it decided to rerun it, hopefully within six months to a
    year.

    Life was so much simpler then (and TV was so much more enjoyable).

    leo86, Dec 6, 2006
  4. Modemac

    Quanta Guest

    Yes it is evidence of that. On Nov. 27 a judge ruled just that: Consumers
    have no rights other than playing on the device the media was licensed for.
    You cannot copy to iPod without paying. Simple.

    Quanta, Dec 6, 2006
  5. Modemac

    Quanta Guest

    PS

    It is EXPLICITLY stated that ripping a DVD by anyone other than an educator
    for teaching or a library for archive purposes is ILLEGAL.

    This was confirmed in the most recent ruling I mentioned.

    Quanta, Dec 6, 2006
  6. No, the downloads are still security-coded up the keister, and, in fact,
    you have to pay $3.97 if you want "both" the PC and the "portable device".

    (Which still hasn't been positively identified as iPod, ie. MP4, yet,
    and could be another one of those dopey .WMV "Plays For Sure" wannabes.
    Somehow, with Wal-Mart, I have some suspicious guesses.)
    And as to whether Wal-Mart's commercial rips have been cleared with the
    studio, or whether they got a little too personally hubris'ed about "We
    can sell ANY kind of DVD, we know how!" without looking at the fine
    print, may be tested in courts soon.

    If they are, however, it should be an interesting "middleman" to the
    fact that none of the other studios wanted to play with Steve Jobs and
    his iTunes Store because of his flat-prices (which's why they all jumped
    over to Amazon for that download thing...SUC-KERS!!), and iPod users may
    finally be able to store other licensed .M4V movies besides
    Disney/Miramax ones.

    (As to the "future of DVD's", however, as we ritually get in articles
    like these...sorry, analysts, that's ALL they'll do.)

    Derek Janssen (remember "High School Musical"!)

    Derek Janssen, Dec 6, 2006
  7. Modemac

    JoeBloe Guest

    You ain't real bright. That's what DVD collections are for!

    Then there's VOD.

    AND DVR!

    You appear as a horse with blinders on.

    JoeBloe, Dec 7, 2006
  8. And then you try to buy more UMD movies and Memory Sticks in 2006. :)

    Derek Janssen (umm...can't help you there!)

    Derek Janssen, Dec 7, 2006
  9. As a wise man once said, "They can make it illegal to take a shit on
    Sunday, that doesn't mean there's a cop in your crapper."

    /Roy

    Roy. Just Roy., Dec 7, 2006
  10. Modemac

    JoeBloe Guest

    Nope. Why buy a UMD form factor flic when it can only be played in a
    few devices?

    I said I make files from MY DVD library. If I want to watch a flic
    in WS on the bus without actually having the disc, I can. I have a
    mem stick that have photos and MP3s and such on it, and I have a stick
    just for movies, 'cause I rip 'em to that file size to maximize the
    resolution of the crunch down.

    The downloaded previews of Spiderman 3 and such are cool and at
    really high resolution for such a small display (to me).

    JoeBloe, Dec 7, 2006
  11. Modemac

    JoeBloe Guest

    If there was that retarded bastard would eat shit!

    In Paramus, MJ one could not buy a skillet or broom on Sunday.

    They even stopped the whores from buying panty hose!

    Little mini bible belt up there.

    JoeBloe, Dec 7, 2006
  12. Modemac

    Bill's News Guest

    ALANIS MORISSETTE can't distinguish irony from misfortune
    either!

    And in case you think there's a difference between irony and
    sarcasm, look up satire!

    Any way, somebody missed the point, JoeBloe. Or were you being
    ironically satirical in a sarcastic way?

    Bill's News, Dec 7, 2006
  13. Modemac

    Rich Clark Guest

    That people charge you to paint your house is not evidence that it is
    illegal for you to paint your own house. It may be illegal, or it may
    not be illegal, but the existence of painters doesn't prove anything.
    That Walmart is charging for an iPod-loading service is not evidence
    that ripping is illegal. Ripping may be illegal, but WalMart's service
    isn't evidence that it is.

    It's logic, see?

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Dec 7, 2006
  14. A house, however, has a piece of paper, called a Deed, that says it's
    Yours, until you sell it. You can fix it, rebuild it, or paint it lil'
    pink for you and me.

    A DVD, similarly, also comes with a statement, on the front of it while
    you're waiting for the darn menu to load--That one says it ISN'T yours,
    it technically belongs to the studio, but they were gracious enough to
    loan one copy to watch in your own home, or else Interpol is going to
    send Detective Zenigata after you.
    ....It's nice when these issues are spelled out. :)

    Personally, I have my suspicions about whether Wal-mart has been doing
    any housepainting of their own, seeing as if they had licensed from the
    studio, the studios would be charging a heck of a lot MORE rent than
    $1.97 (qv. Amazon's Unbox).
    And Wal-mart does have a history of getting a little too psychologicaly
    caught up in their own DVD-sales saturation.

    Derek Janssen
    ejanss

    Derek Janssen, Dec 7, 2006
  15. Modemac

    Rich Clark Guest

    Derek Janssen wrote:

    [stuff]

    All you people are proving is that you can't read for content.

    I never said anything about whether ripping DVDs is legal or not.

    I only said that Walmart's service is not evidence of ripping being
    illegal, or of anything but their desire to make a profit offering a
    service.

    One might make a case that it's evidence that DVD ripping is difficult
    and complicated enough that people who shop at Walmart will pay to have
    somebody else do it. The legality of it is not even an issue in this
    context. There's nothing implicit or explicit in the offer that says
    "it's illegal for you to do it yourself, so let us do it for you." The
    offer is simply "Let us do it for you."

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Dec 7, 2006
  16. Modemac

    FrozenNorth Guest

    Rich Clark tossed the following at the wall, and it stuck:
    The OP posted $2 per disc, I know that there is no way that I could rip and
    then burn a DVD fast enough at $2 per that I could make any money using a
    normal computer with a good burner, or rip and upload to an iPod.

    Obviously they must have invested in some more specialized equipment so that
    this is feasible to do at this cost, and turn a profit, even if the
    operator is only paid minimum Wally World wages.

    It would need to be done in less than 5 minutes to have a hope of being
    profitable.

    --
    Q: How many journalists does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    A: Three. One to report it as an inspired government program to bring

    Froz...

    FrozenNorth, Dec 7, 2006
  17. ....Uh, THAT would be illegal. Which's why I'm holding out suspicions
    about the current service.
    What WM is planning is probably something through the website--But even
    though there's security all over, and a charge for each single device up
    to two (Apple gives you a five-device license for one download), $2 is
    just a *little* too darn cheap to be true. :/

    DO they plan to just "rip the disk the minute it comes in the store", as
    we're all fantasizing they are, or have they contracted deals with the
    studio that require you to purchase the disk first, with codes, 'n such?
    Studios are just a little too tight-fisted for the plan as it is now
    (and in primitive fear and awe of the Downloading Volcano God Whose Name
    Is Destruction)...And even Apple's service requires buying the entire
    file for $10, since no "rental plan" was technically possible.

    Derek Janssen

    Derek Janssen, Dec 7, 2006
  18. Modemac

    Tarkus Guest

    Why does everyone assume they're ripping anything? More likely is they'd
    get the files in the proper format from the studios day and date with the
    DVDs. So they'd just make a quick copy.

    Tarkus, Dec 7, 2006

  19. Anyone who "watches" a film on an iPod should be charged ten times that,
    just on general aesthetic principles.

    I can't wait til one of those assholes informs me that they "watched" "2001"
    on their iPod and "didn't think it was the great film everyone said it was".

    Marriage Hole SODDI, Dec 7, 2006
  20. Modemac

    Rich Clark Guest

    Maybe. But then, last year I flew to southern Argentina and back to
    Philadelphia, a 24-hour trip including airport waits etc, and I was
    really glad I'd ripped a bunch of Simpsons season discs and a couple of
    Pixar features to my iPod.
    Not every DVD is a movie.

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Dec 8, 2006