    thereabouts was there....Sleeping Beauty..The Core ..Xena Season 2.. Little
    House Season 2...Malibu's Most Wanted.Confessions Of A Dangerous
    Mind..Bulletproof Monk.Family Guy Season 2....BUT NO 24!!!!!! Damn Them!!!!!

    Bernie Sykes, Sep 11, 2003

  2. Bernie Sykes

    Dick Sidbury Guest

    There were half a dozen copies at my walmart yesterday (at 48.77 or
    something like that).

    dick

    Dick Sidbury, Sep 11, 2003

  3. What makes it worth $48.77? Why can't it be $48, is that not enough? Is
    $49 too much?

    Anonymous Joe, Sep 11, 2003
  4. Bernie Sykes

    GlassPrison Guest

    it's based on what the actual cost of the product is, and what everyone else
    is selling it for. Meaning, they try to get right in the middle, but
    usually closer to the "cost" side (and since it's Walmart, sometimes even
    BELOW cost), simply to attract that many more sales.

    or something.

    Dan

    GlassPrison, Sep 11, 2003
  5. Bernie Sykes

    Goldfinger Guest

    It can be $59 too, on ebay. In addition, you have to pay $6 for shipping.

    Goldfinger, Sep 11, 2003
  6. Bernie Sykes

    Tarkus Guest

    Because it looks like $48, but is closer to $49.

    Every time my friend sees something priced, say, $14.99, he always says
    it costs $14, and I have to correct him that it's $15. Things are priced
    the way they are for people like him.

    Tarkus, Sep 11, 2003
  7. Bernie Sykes

    Rich Clark Guest

    Right. And Walmart sells it for $14.77 so that can say they have the "lowest
    prices in town." They probably did some market research with focus groups
    that told them ".77" was a number that made a positive impression. IIRC,
    K-Mart is fond of ".88."

    RichC

    Rich Clark, Sep 11, 2003
  8. It can be $59 too, on ebay. In addition, you have to pay $6 for shipping.
    As an avid eBayer, I can honestly say that buying something from eBay will end
    up being a rip-off if you never factor the shipping.

    I always find it amusing that people will bid on an item that starts at $1, but
    never look out for the shipping cost until the end, which is sometimes the rest
    of the item's worth! And the real stink: you have to pay for it to stay in
    compliance with the auction agreement!

    A sucker is born every minute! - Reinhart

    LASERandDVDfan, Sep 12, 2003
  9. Bernie Sykes

    GMAN Guest

    You got Walmart pegged. They do sell lots of stuff below cost since they know
    that while you are there getting that LOTR-TTT DVD you'll most likely pick up
    some groceries, get a new car battery and a new rake from the garden center,
    youll pick up a new beadspread in the linen department etc........

    GMAN, Sep 12, 2003
  10. Bernie Sykes

    GMAN Guest

    Surprised Kmart is still around. After all Walmart bitchsplaps them monthly in sales volume.

    GMAN, Sep 12, 2003
  11. Bernie Sykes

    Peter Guest

    Not in Canada. Kmart went out of business here about 2 years ago I
    believ. However we also have Zellers, which is a direct competitor with
    Wal-Mart.

    Peter, Sep 13, 2003
  12. Bernie Sykes

    Tarkus Guest

    Kmart is still in business in the U.S. However, to their chagrin, most
    people aren't aware of that fact.

    Tarkus, Sep 13, 2003
  13. Bernie Sykes

    Tarkus Guest

    Not just Walmart, but Target, also.

    Tarkus, Sep 13, 2003
  14. Bernie Sykes

    Black Locust Guest

    I'm kind of embarrassed to admit this, but I actually went into a K-Mart
    the other day. It was rather sad. The place looked run down and ready to
    go bankrupt with maybe 20 customers total in the whole store. And man,
    the customers... Well, let's just say Walmart customers look
    "sophisticated" in comparison - if such a thing is possible... I'm
    predicting the whole chain will collapse within the next two years. They
    don't stand a chance against Walmart.

    Black Locust, Sep 14, 2003
  15. Bernie Sykes

    Invid Fan Guest

    Which is a shame. Just replacing one chain with another, so far as
    shoppers are concerned, isn't real progress. Locally Walmarts and
    Targets moved in and Kmart and Hills (then Ames) shut down. Big gain...
    especially since we now have lots of empty boxes in plazas.
    (a new chain that actually re-used existing stores would be an
    inovative concept)

    Invid Fan, Sep 14, 2003
  16. Bernie Sykes

    Impmon Guest

    You should try visiting that one Kmart store on East side of Saginaw
    (off M-46), I think their employees are trying to bankrupt that store.
    A few years ago, the toy section was in shambles with several large cart
    full of unsorted stuff. I came back a few weeks later, it's still a
    disaster area. I tested the hypothesis and snuck in a new VCR under the
    mess on the cart. 2 months passed by before I went back and to my
    surprise the VCR remained buried.

    I haven't been to any Kmart since before they filed for bankrupcity.
    It's not just the unreasonable price, it's the poor customer service,
    poor cleaniless, and sometimes hositile customers that kept me away.

    That one store alone makes Walmart look like the Ritz. I'm surprised
    that store didn't close during bankrupcity.

    Impmon, Sep 14, 2003
  17. Bernie Sykes

    Peter Guest

    Since we're on the topic of Wal-mart pissing people off, and the poor
    quality of Kmart. I figured I'd post some pet peeves of Walmart here

    1) my local wal-mart is in a shopping mall. Upon entering the wal-mart
    with a bag from another store. You get attacked by some old guy who's
    title is "greeter". He rushes over to slap some "wal-mart" sticker over
    the handles of your bag so you (presumably) can't open your bag while in
    wal-mart.

    I am still baffled by the reasoning behind this. My first thought is,
    they don't want people shop lifting. So the theory is, tape the bags
    shut, and people won't slide stuff into their bags and walk out.
    There are so many holes in this theory. Many people have large coats
    (especially during winter). Purses, pockets on baggy pants. Not to
    mention wal-mart bags of previous purchases (ie. If I buy an item, then
    walk around the store).
    Not to mention that the bloody thing is just a sticker, a 5 year old can
    rip it apart. I've never had security or anyone question me for having
    the sticker ripped. Nor have I ever had anyone look into my bags
    afterwards. So what does this mean ? The sticker does nothing. It's just
    some extra cost that wal-mart does to piss customers off. it makes no
    sense. Also, it feels like they don't trust their customers. Everyone is
    a suspected shop lifter. Not to mention all the camera's they have in
    the store. Is this sticker thing really necessary ?

    At any rate. When I see the greeters by the door, I strategically place
    myself behind large families, or I do a lateral move and try to avoid
    them. I've gotten through pretty easily most times, however I have had
    some run after me "Oh sir!!! oh sir!!! can I sticker your bag, SIR!!!
    Hey SIR!!!!" I just keep walking. You touch my bag, I'll cry bloody murder.

    2) Every single time a wal-mart employee needs to call someone from a
    department, or make a message over a PA. They are trained!!! to take the
    mic as close to their mouth as possible, and give it a large loud
    BLOW!!!. I'm not sure the point of this, but it can be quite deafening,
    especially if you happen to be right under a speaker at the time.Aaarrgh!

    3) Recently (within the last 6 months) they have added a new "security"
    feature to the electronics department. A sensor, that goes "Beep"
    everytime someone walks in. of course, this beep is so high pitched it
    sends the stray cats to blocks away into a frenzy.
    If thats not bad enough, people are stupid enough to walk up to the cash
    area at Electronics, and stand RIGHT on the beam line. So it's a
    constant Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!!!!
    Which is deafening. I immediately rush away from the area before my
    eardrums exploade. I think wal-mart customers must be tone deaf.

    4) lack of cashiers. Whenever I got to wal-mart, their lack of cashiers
    is just amazing. It's totally baffling. The line ups are way out past
    the cash areas, and they have a total of 14 cash registers, but I've
    only seen a maximum of 10 in use at once (during christmas rush). At the
    best of times, they have 4 or 5.
    Now as I said, my wal-mart is attached to a mall. So they have a mall
    entrance, and a parking lot entrance. However wal-mart stays open an
    extra hour longer then the mall does. So at 9pm, they close down the two
    or three til's at the mall entrance. And.. do you think they add any
    people to the parking lot exit ? NOOOOooooooooooooooo, infact, they take
    one away from there too!!!. So line ups can be EXTRA long. Yeaaa.

    My father-in-law saw this lady at this little podium/desk taking notes
    and watching the cash registers. he asked her "What are you doing ?" she
    said "Timing the cash lines. The wait on these here are 7 minutes, this
    one is 9 minutes."
    He said to her "Why doesn't wal-mart drop your position and stick you on
    a cash register so we don't have to wait 9 minutes. Thats ridiculous"
    she never did answer his question.

    Wow.. Sorry for the rant. but I just had to let it out. Any similar
    Wal-mart experiences or trends ?

    Feel free to vent your frustration

    Peter, Sep 14, 2003
  18. Bernie Sykes

    Jeeters Guest

    There's a Super K-Mart not too far from me that they built about 5 years
    ago. A year later, a Walmart opened right across the highway. Then, all
    around the Walmart other retail opened up... Best Buy, Home Depot, Lowes,
    Target, furniture, chain restaurants, a couple hotels, etc. A couple
    hundred acres went from scrub to full blown retail. So, on one side of the
    highway is Walmart and the rest of the world. On the other side, is lonely
    Super K.
    On the Walmart side, it's a traffic nightmare. It can take 15 minutes to
    drive 1.5 miles to get to Best Buy. It's a complete joke at xmas and I try
    to avoid the place.
    On the K-Mart side? Nobody. I'm not sure why this store is kept open
    considering so many other K-Marts in the area shut down. Perhaps
    headquarters decided to keep it open because the place is so new and they
    want a chance to get a return on their construction investment?
    It's sort of sad... the K-Mart is actually pretty nice: they keep it
    spotless. Nice wide aisles unlike the 'block the aisle' mentality of
    Walmart.
    Very pathetic that all the suburban lemmings follow each other to Walmart
    and continually whine about the traffic, the parking, the long lines, the
    disheveled inventory, etc., while the poor K-Mart sits waiting across the
    road going, "will somebody come play with me?"

    Jeeters, Sep 14, 2003
  19. Bernie Sykes

    Impmon Guest

    Just about all Walmart stores within 50 miles (that's a lot of WM mind
    you) has the security feature. But they all are audio only. I have yet
    to see them work on someone who is deaf.

    I had a store greeter who "attacked" me because I never heard the alarm.
    When the store security verified the content of my bag was paid for and
    I had nothing else on me, I made it clear I would complain about the
    assult and battery, the manager graciously refunded my purchase (nearly
    $150 in DVD) and let me keep them. I didn't sign any form though so I
    still complained anyway bnoth to the local authorities, to Walmart corp
    via web site and to someone at Michigan Works because they knew someone
    from Federal level who would investigate the blatant vioation of
    American with Disibility Act (no warning light for the deaf) I haven't
    heard anything back since then but whenever I visit that one offending
    store, I swear I'm followed by plainclothes security.

    Impmon, Sep 14, 2003
  20. Bernie Sykes

    Impmon Guest

    I don't think the newness counted. A Kmart store in Auburn Hill closed
    just a year after being remodeled and expanded frorm old Kmart to Super
    Kmart. There was no Walmart for 5 miles around and other major
    competing stores were at least a mile away (Target, Meijer, Best Buy,
    etc) while this Kmart was right on the freeway offramp.

    Impmon, Sep 14, 2003