    played with S1&S3 and mouse vs keyboard to see if any difference. None -
    flaky no matter which setting/which device wakes it. Any ideas ?
    XP SP3 , Asus A8N-e motherboard

    - Bobb -, Jan 14, 2012

  2. - Bobb -

    Paul Guest

    What happens if you swap the wire sets, such that the port B computer
    is now on port A (and the port A computer is now on port B) ?

    Does it work any better ?

    After doing that test, does it look like a KVM problem or a computer problem ?

    If moving it helped, it's probably the KVM. Also, keep track of your
    wire sets, in case a wire is flaky.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 14, 2012

  3. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Update:

    spacebar DOES work if pc is previously turned OFF.
    But doesn't work in standby 90% of the time.
    Thoughts on how BIOS "Power" 'should' be set.

    - Bobb -, Jan 18, 2012
  4. - Bobb -

    Paul Guest

    If it works when the PC is off, I'm not sure there is
    any user control that will help it come out of standby.
    That should also work.

    It's up to the OS and BIOS together, to put the hardware
    in a state where a keypress will wake it up. It could be
    a BIOS bug or a chip design bug. (Just like my VIA system
    doesn't do S3 suspend to RAM reliably.)

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 18, 2012
  5. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    If you missed my first post ... It was fine for years on this PC. until a
    few weeks ago I switched my KVM to another PC. Next time I used this one the
    spacebar power up was flaky.

    - Bobb -, Jan 19, 2012
  6. - Bobb -

    Paul Guest

    Would the KVM be "switched away" from that port ? Perhaps the
    reason it doesn't work, is the KVM is pointed at another computer ?

    I don't own a KVM, and know nothing of their quirks.

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 19, 2012
  7. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    This box isn't anything fancy - it had ABCD switch on front and 5
    video/keyboard connectors : 1 each for A, B, C, D on back and a common one
    of each go to my desktop monitor and keyboard.
    I'm using it now on B and both work. My suspicion is the pc BIOS, not the
    box but I cannot find a simple explanation of S1 & S3 power setting online
    as far as the difference in waking it up.
    Why one would work with spacebar and other not ?

    - Bobb -, Jan 20, 2012
  8. - Bobb -

    Paul Guest

    The Device Manager has the setting. As far as I know, the OS passes this
    info to the BIOS, during shutdown. And on my machine here, this even seems
    to work, when the BIOS setting for the keyboard is disabled.

    http://img209.imageshack.us/img209/8371/wakeup.gif

    Paul

    Paul, Jan 20, 2012
  9. - Bobb -

    - Bobb - Guest

    Paul,

    Please ask some woman nearby to give you a big kiss.
    My keyboard- power mgmt box was unchecked.
    I don't know how or why it got UNchecked, but it now works.
    Thank you.

    - Bobb -, Jan 20, 2012
  10. - Bobb -

    Paul Guest