WAIT for Windows VISTA when buying a new computer?

Discussion in 'NZ Computing' started by Bertfromnz, Jan 22, 2007.

  1. Bertfromnz

    Bertfromnz Guest

    I see that some of the computer retailers are offering good discounts on
    computers running Windows XP. However, would it pay to wait to get a new
    computer that has the new Microsoft Vista operating system already installed
    on it?

    The different types of Vista windows operating systems are set out here:

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsvista/getready/editions/default.mspx

    One retailer I talked to said that they will offer a free upgrade to the
    premium version of Vista on all computers sold from now on. They pointed out
    that this is a good deal because all the cheaper computers will have only
    the basic version of Vista installed on them, and this doesn't work the Aero
    desktop feature.

    But, from a technical viewpoint, is it better to upgrade a Windows XP
    computer to Vista, or should a buyer wait a week or two and buy a new
    computer that already has Vista installed on it, even if it is only the
    basic version? Will the newer computers have some different components to
    help them be more compatible with Vista?

    Bert

    Bertfromnz, Jan 22, 2007

  2. Bertfromnz

    rob Guest

    Personally I am going to stick with XP for a year or so and wait until the
    bugs and security issues with Vista are starting to get sorted out, then
    I'll take a look and see if it is worth it. There is nothing special about
    Vista that makes it a must have that I have yet seen. And if some of the
    reports I'm seeing about DRM and MS's new activation dance are true (I'm not
    saying they are yet) then I wont be touching it at all.

    rob, Jan 22, 2007

  3. Bertfromnz

    iascoot Guest

    in some cases, if you buy XP now, you get a FREE upgrade to Vista

    iascoot, Jan 22, 2007
  4. Bertfromnz

    iascoot Guest

    i should read the full original post :>

    iascoot, Jan 22, 2007
  5. Bertfromnz

    E. Scrooge Guest

    Only a fool would buy a new computer with the new 64bit OS. A year or 2
    from now the 64bit OS will be so much better. Just as the first 32bit OS
    W95 wasn't all that great.

    XP will run more software and do anything the average user wants and then
    some.

    PC sales will fall off a bit with Vista and then pick up in a couple years
    time when Microsoft releases it's replacement code named "She'll-Be-Right".

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jan 22, 2007
  6. It's already been "a year or 2" since 64-bit Dimdows was released. It still
    isn't "so much better".
    You mean the one people were queuing up at midnight to buy?

    Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Jan 22, 2007
  7. Bertfromnz

    Dave Doe Guest

    We are talking Vista here - not Windows Server 2003 64bit - so get back
    to us when you know what you're talking about.

    Dave Doe, Jan 23, 2007
  8. Bertfromnz

    Mathew Good Guest

    No one needs Vista, utter Crap..

    Mathew Good, Jan 23, 2007
  9. Bertfromnz

    Mathew Good Guest

    No No No !!!

    Mathew Good, Jan 23, 2007
  10. Bertfromnz

    Vista Guest

    You still have to pay to get microsoft to send you the upgrade DVD, which is
    about $30-50

    Vista, Jan 23, 2007
  11. Bertfromnz

    Mathew Good Guest

    VISTA is a Big bag of Worms, Please do not ever use it, go read some comments about it on the Net.

    Mathew Good, Jan 23, 2007
  12. Bertfromnz

    Vista Guest

    Are they giving any away for free? They sometimes do this for new versions
    of office

    Vista, Jan 23, 2007
  13. Bertfromnz

    Dave Doe Guest

    Used it have you? - I think it's pretty good. I'm running it on three
    machines, one is aero capable - but even without aero it's a big
    improvement over XP and I can see it's certainly well worth while for
    new PC's with inexperienced users. (I think they'll get the most out of
    the easy to use/navigate interface and much better security - whereas
    this user group has (IMO) struggled with XP, particularly dialup users
    (they just never get/stay up-to-date) - and they don't know it).

    Dave Doe, Jan 23, 2007
  14. Bertfromnz

    Chris Hope Guest

    You do get an upgrade voucher if you buy an OEM version (ie with your
    new computer) but from memory you still have to pay for it. It's
    something like $90.

    Chris Hope, Jan 23, 2007
  15. Bertfromnz

    Katipo Guest

    I am also reluctant to leap onto the Vista band wagon. It appears to be a
    bloated monstrosity which is already starting to look as buggy as XP was.

    I believe you need 15GB of disk space for Vista (as opposed to 4gb - which
    also also rediculous, for XP)?
    What have they filled the extra 11GB up with?

    Also the minimum memory requirement is 512mb, which is Microsoft's way of
    saying "only an idiot would try and run it with less that 1gb of memory".

    Seems to me microsoft would be far better off getting core functionality
    working properly rather that wasting time and money bloating their software
    out with stuff nobody uses or needs.

    /\(**)/\

    Katipo, Jan 23, 2007
  16. Bertfromnz

    Bertfromnz Guest

    Yes, I think people need to experience Vista themselves rather than just
    repeat all the negative comments they have read elsewhere, so I am most
    interested in what you say. If you buy a new computer this month, it will
    have Windows XP on it. But I wonder if people will have the OPTION to have
    XP on new desktop and laptop computers that come on sale in February and
    March? I have been told that all "branded" computers, such as HP, Toshiba,
    Sony, Acer, etc. will have Vista on them in the next lot of computers that
    are imported.

    It seems to me that if you are in the market for a new computer, you might
    as well wait and get one that has Vista on it, rather than upgrading to
    Vista at a later date. I'm sure that the computer manufacturers will see
    that Vista works properly before releasing computers with Vista installed on
    them. I have an idea that buying a computer which has Vista installed on it
    from new, might be more satisfactory than upgrading a computer to Vista from
    XP?

    Bertfromnz, Jan 23, 2007
  17. Bertfromnz

    Mathew Good Guest

    But that is only ONE persons comment, I am referring to the World..

    Mathew Good, Jan 23, 2007
  18. Bertfromnz

    Chris Hope Guest

    So everyone in the world is saying Vista is CrapTM are they?

    Chris Hope, Jan 23, 2007
  19. Bertfromnz

    Dave Taylor Guest

    Exactly what I was thinking too.

    Dave Taylor, Jan 23, 2007
  20. Bertfromnz

    E. Scrooge Guest

    The final version of VISTA has not been around for 2 years.
    If you sell everything you have then you just might have enough to put a
    deposit down for Vista.

    Be like you going from a poked out Mini to a Mercedes.

    E. Scrooge

    E. Scrooge, Jan 23, 2007