[Waaaay OT) Leviticus

Discussion in 'MCSE' started by JaR, Mar 2, 2004.

  1. JaR

    JaR Guest

    Found on U.F. http://www.userfriendly.org/static/

    'scuse me, I think I need to get some new stones. <EG>

    Dr. Laura Schlessinger is a US radio personality who dispenses advice to
    people who call in to her radio show. Recently she said that
    homosexuality is an abomination according to Leviticus 18:22,
    and cannot be condoned under any circumstances. The
    following is an open letter to Dr. Laura penned by a US resident, which
    was posted on the Internet. It's funny, as well as informative.

    Dear Dr. Laura:

    Thank you for doing so much to educate people regarding God's Law. I have
    learned a great deal from your show, and try to share that knowledge with
    as many people as I can. When someone tries to defend the homosexual
    lifestyle, for example, I simply remind them that Leviticus 18:22 clearly
    states it to be an abomination. End of debate.

    I do need some advice from you, however, regarding some of the other
    specific laws and how to follow them.

    1. When I burn a bull on the altar as a sacrifice, I know it creates a
    pleasing odor for the Lord -- Lev. 1:9. The problem is my neighbors. They
    claim the odor is not pleasing to them. Should I smite them?

    2. I would like to sell my daughter into slavery, as sanctioned in Exodus
    21:7. In this day and age, what do you think would be a fair price for
    her?

    3. I know that I am allowed no contact with a woman while she is in her
    period of menstrual uncleanliness -- Lev. 15:19-24. The problem is, how do
    I tell? I have tried asking, but most women take offence.

    4. Lev. 25:44 states that I may indeed possess slaves, both male and
    female, provided they are purchased from neighboring nations. A friend of
    mine claims that this applies to Mexicans, but not Canadians. Can you
    clarify? Why can't I own Canadians?

    5. I have a neighbor who insists on working on the Sabbath. Exodus 35:2
    clearly states he should be put to death. Am I morally obligated to kill
    him myself?

    6. A friend of mine feels that even though eating shellfish is an
    abomination -- Lev. 11:10-- it is a lesser abomination than homosexuality.
    I don't agree. Can you settle this?

    7. Lev. 21:20 states that I may not approach the altar of God if I have a
    defect in my sight. I have to admit that I wear reading glasses. Does my
    vision have to be 20/20, or is there some wiggle room here?

    8. Most of my male friends get their hair trimmed, including the hair
    around their temples, even though this is expressly forbidden by Lev.
    19:27. How should they die?

    9. I know from Lev. 11:6-8 that touching the skin of a dead pig makes me
    unclean, but may I still play football if I wear gloves?

    10. My uncle has a farm. He violates Lev. 19:19 by planting two different
    crops in the same field, as does his wife by wearing garments made of two
    different kinds of thread (cotton/polyester blend). He also tends to curse
    and blaspheme a lot. Is it really necessary that we go to all the trouble
    of getting the whole town together to stone them? -- Lev.24:10-16.
    Couldn't we just burn them to death at a private family affair like we do
    with people who sleep with their in-laws? (Lev. 20:14)

    I know you have studied these things extensively, so I am confident you
    can help. Thank you again for reminding us that God's word is eternal and
    unchanging.

    Your devoted disciple and adoring fan.

    JaR, Mar 2, 2004

  2. JaR

    Jtyc Guest

    'scuse me, I think I need to get some new stones. <EG>

    I didn't know you were Jewish.

    Jtyc, Mar 2, 2004

  3. JaR

    Consultant Guest