    that I can move additional files?

    Regards
    Cody

    Cody, Sep 23, 2003

  2. Cody

    °Mike° Guest

    Basic computer maintenance

    After you have emptied your recycle bin, as per above, right
    click on it, and select 'Properties'. Select the 13GB drive,
    and change the 'Space reserved' to suit your needs.

    °Mike°, Sep 23, 2003

  3. Cody

    Cody Guest

    Thanks for the reply. The allocated space was about 100M. However the drive
    is reported as 2G under the Recycle bin properties. If I check"My Computer"
    properties, the drive is listed as 13G. Any thoughts as to why that maybe?

    Cody

    Cody, Sep 23, 2003
  4. Cody

    °Mike° Guest

    Do you have Norton Protected Recycle Bin installed?
    If so, empty it.

    Also, run the maintenance steps in my signature, paying
    particular attention to running scandisk, in case the free
    space is being reported incorrectly.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Sep 23, 2003
  5. Cody

    Cody Guest

    Not protected by Norton, scandisk was done. I seem to recall when I first
    installed the drive Windows hardware wiz asked for the amount of reserved
    space, (been a few years ago). I have removed and re-installed the drive and
    the OS on more than one occassion and the reserved space prompt has never
    appeared.

    Cody

    Cody, Sep 23, 2003
  6. Cody

    °Mike° Guest

    I've just re-read your previous reply, where you state:
    "the drive is reported as 2G under the Recycle bin properties."

    I didn't spot it before, but it's clear that your recycle bin resides
    on the 2GB (system) drive.

    °Mike°, Sep 23, 2003
  7. Cody

    Cody Guest

    I would have to agree. I know I can move or burn some files from the 13G
    drive and I know I will fill it up again. It just irritates me not having
    access to the remaining space on that drive.

    Cody

    Cody, Sep 23, 2003
  8. Cody

    °Mike° Guest

    Do you have "One setting for all drives" checked in the
    Recycle Bin options? If so, remove it and configure
    drives independently.

    °Mike°, Sep 23, 2003
  9. Cody

    Cody Guest

    I have tried setting them as shared and independ, no help. You seem to be
    zeroing in on the recyle bin, why?

    Cody

    Cody, Sep 23, 2003
  10. Cody

    °Mike° Guest

    I'm only going on the information that you are giving me.
    I don't have the luxury of knowing your system/setup.

    °Mike°, Sep 23, 2003
  11. Cody

    Cody Guest

    No problem, just trying to apply logic as to what is causing the problem.
    The question was how to restore disk space, your inquires are centered
    around the recycle bin. I'm just puzzled as to why? You obviously have a
    great deal of knowledge and a desire to assist those in need of help. I've
    read some your replies to other posts. I don't mean to imply you are going
    in the wrong direction, I just don't understand the questions about the
    recycle bin.

    Cody

    Cody, Sep 23, 2003
  12. Cody

    °Mike° Guest

    The questions were merely a natural progression to the
    content of the questions and replies. The recycle bin
    can alter the available disk space - particularly if you have
    Norton Protection.

    Let's try another avenue. Where is your swap file located?
    (Remember, I *still* don't know your system.)

    °Mike°, Sep 23, 2003
  13. Cody

    Cody Guest

    I guess I don't know my system either. How can I locate the swap file. I
    have no idea what or where it is. I did look at both recycle bins while you
    were away. Both contain files under "properties", less than 20K total, none
    are visible in the bins. The bin on the 13G drive has a file\folder I cannot
    delete. Been that way for some time now, and I have become accustomed to
    that problem. Just now thought of it. I tried to delete the 13G bin, but got
    an access denied prompt from W98SE.

    Cody

    Cody, Sep 23, 2003
  14. Cody

    °Mike° Guest

    OK. Boot into DOS - restart and hold the CTRL key at startup,
    until you get the DOS menu. Choose 'Command Prompt Only'.
    At the C:> prompt, type:

    smartdrv
    deltree /y c:\recycled
    deltree /y d:\recycled

    (This is assuming your hard drives are c: and d: ).
    Then type:

    cd windows
    del win386.swp

    Reboot into Windows, and you recycle bin will be rebuilt from
    scratch - it may have been damaged, noting your mention of
    the strange folder. See if that makes a difference.

    °Mike°, Sep 23, 2003
  15. Cody

    Cody Guest

    Okay, as Artie Johnson once said "VERRRRY INNNTERESTING". First, deleting
    the bins, C(2G) goes away, D(13G) remains. Second. DOS does NOT recognize
    the D drive, "Invalid Drive" prompt, W98SE sees it?

    Cody

    Cody, Sep 23, 2003
  16. Cody

    °Mike° Guest

    Power off and remove the drive cables. Check them over,
    and re-connect them, ensuring that they are nice and snug.
    Make sure that the BIOS is set to autodetect.

    <snip>

    °Mike°, Sep 23, 2003
  17. Cody

    Cody Guest

    Mike, gotta go. Will try at a later time. Thanks so much for your time and
    efforts.

    Cody

    Cody, Sep 23, 2003
  18. Cody

    °Mike° Guest

    Ok, good luck.

    °Mike°, Sep 23, 2003
  19. Cody

    Barry OGrady Guest

    What do you mean by cue, and what is the error message?

    -Barry
    ========
    Voicemail/fax number +14136227640

    Barry OGrady, Sep 24, 2003