(W98) lost access to ps/2 mouse, then mysterious IRQ conflicts SBand PCI

Discussion in 'Computer Support' started by a.n.other, Aug 20, 2004.

  1. a.n.other

    a.n.other Guest

    Hello,

    Using a fairly old machine and W98, I suddenly lost access to my mouse.
    I happened to have my headphones plugged in (listening to the BBC) and the
    mouse seemed to be causing strange noises if I tried to do anything with
    it.

    Rebooting didn't help, and while booting up, apparently while initialising
    the sound card, I got a message similar to:

    SB ... IRQ conflicts with PCI IRQ
    Creative SB ... emulation driver not loading

    When windows was coming up, it complained about not having a mouse.

    Apart from that, everything else seemed to work (as far as I could tell
    without the mouse ... I wish I knew more KB shortcuts!).

    I have now managed to borrow a serial mouse, and fortunately that works.
    Amazingly also, the sound card works.

    There is clearly a problem though, but I am not sure where to start
    looking.

    I tried going into "setup" on one reboot, to have a look around, and see
    if I could see any IRQ funnies, but I must confess, I didn't really know
    what to look for.

    It would be nice if I could get a display like the one that flashes on the
    screen for about half a second around bootup time, which seems to have a
    nice map of the IRQs, but I don't know how to get one. Had a browse in
    sytem settings, but not sure what I'm looking for really.

    Thanks in advance for any pointers.

    a.n.other, Aug 20, 2004

  2. a.n.other

    A String Guest

    Right click on "My Computer" and pick "Properties". Go to "Device Manager".
    There should be some open sections with little yellow symbols in them.

    Be fore you go any further, be sure you have the drivers for your sound
    card and mouse!

    Right click on the offending items and choose "Remove". Now restart.
    They should be put back in with new IRQ settings. If the problem persists,
    try moving the card to a new slot.

    A String, Aug 20, 2004

  3. a.n.other

    Robin Hood Guest

    Yes I agree, but before doing all that check the hardware by trying someone
    else's PS2 mouse.

    Robin Hood, Aug 31, 2004