    before. How can I recapture the unseen disk space? Can I do it without
    reformatting the whole drive and losing the installations I've done?
    TIA -- WC

    WCH, Sep 27, 2003

  2. WCH

    °Mike° Guest

    °Mike°, Sep 27, 2003

  3. WCH

    Rob Guest

    Do you have installed as NTFS or fat32? I don't think fat32 can see drivers
    bigger than 20gig.. not exactly sure the size. NTFS can see the entire
    drive.

    Rob, Sep 27, 2003
  4. WCH

    Patrick Guest

    Well, I would have thought that your 'generic boot disk' may have only seen
    the 32GB and marked the drive as being so.

    Patrick, Sep 27, 2003
  5. WCH

    Gray Ghost Guest

    Why use FDISK when you can simply go in under Computer Management tools and
    format it directly and partition it there?

    Start -> Settings -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Computer
    Management

    Then select Storage -> Disk Management

    Select the drive that you wish to format, and you should be able to do so
    from within the GUI... pretty nifty eh?

    Gray Ghost, Sep 27, 2003
  6. WCH

    Gray Ghost Guest

    BY THE WAY

    Do this at your own risk as I assume no responsibility for your actions.

    Gray Ghost, Sep 27, 2003
  7. WCH

    WCH Guest

    Disk Management doesn't SEE any other space on the drive than the 32GB
    partition. I can't figure out why not.

    WCH, Sep 27, 2003
  8. WCH

    °Mike° Guest

    Because you "used a generic boot disk to FDISK it". This likely
    had the old version of fdisk on it, that doesn't see drives that
    are larger than 64GB. See the MS link in my first reply to you.

    °Mike°, Sep 27, 2003
  9. Howdy!

    I'd first back up what you have.

    I'd also bet you've got the 32G "clip" jumper installed.

    You'll have to remove it, and I've usually had to do a drive blank
    with the disk test from the manufacturer, then reinstall.

    RwP

    Ralph Wade Phillips, Sep 28, 2003
  10. WCH

    Plato Guest

    FAT32 can indeed, see drives larger than 32. A CD install of XP tho,
    wont do a fat32 partition over 32.

    Plato, Sep 28, 2003
  11. X-No-Archive: Yes

    In Rob <> typed
    || Do you have installed as NTFS or fat32? I don't think fat32 can see
    || drivers bigger than 20gig.. not exactly sure the size. NTFS can see
    || the entire drive.

    FAT32 can see disks of up to 2 TeraBytes

    Robert de Brus, Sep 28, 2003
  12. WCH

    WCH Guest

    WHAT? I've never heard of a "32G "clip" jumper". I've got a brand new Asus
    m/b with a P4 chip (this is a home built machine). I've built 3 or 4
    machines before and never encountered such a thing. Is this a real
    possibility?

    WCH, Sep 29, 2003
  13. WCH

    Stevo Guest

    Sure is, a number of manufacturers incorporate a jumper setting on drives
    larger than 30Gb to limit the size to 32Gb to allow older BIOSs to access
    the drive. Have a look at the jumper config on the drive or in the
    documentation or if neither of those have it, check out the manufacturers
    web site.

    Wouldn't be the first time such a jumper has been incorrectly set...

    Stevo, Sep 29, 2003