VTP across 3550-12T 3508G and 2950

Discussion in 'Cisco' started by gkurcon, Jun 6, 2006.

  1. gkurcon

    gkurcon Guest

    I have recently acquired a 3550-12T, which I was hoping would help me
    deploy vlans without needing to purchase a separate router.

    Previously, I had a single 3508G with 8 Gigabit SX ports which
    connected 4 2950's together, all Gigbit ports connected to the 3508 and
    configured as access ports.

    Now enter the 3550-12T. I connected int Gig0/11 (SX) to the 3508G, and
    configured the switchport as trunk mode. If I try to change the 2950
    Gig0/1 port to trunk mode(on the 2950 and the 3508G), all communication
    is lost.

    3550-12T--->3508G--->2950

    Is it not possible to connect trunks from the 3550 to 3508, and then
    the 3508 to the 2950?

    I have set the 3550 as the VTP server, and 3508G and 2950s as
    clients...all have the same VTP domain and password as well, and all
    are running V2 mode.

    Any ideas on what I'm missing?

    Thanks.

    gkurcon, Jun 6, 2006

  2. gkurcon

    SAto Guest

    skrev:
    That should be possible and fairly easy to do,
    If I remember correctly the 2950s only support 802.1q trunking,
    but the 3550 and 3500 series support both ISL and 802.1q
    Maybe there is a mismatch in trunking protocols.

    If you could provide the interface configuration for all the switches
    that would be very helpful.

    -SAto

    SAto, Jun 6, 2006

  3. gkurcon

    gkurcon Guest

    I was starting to think the same thing. Question-if I change the trunk
    protocol to dot1q on the 3508G and the 3550-12T, do I need to restart
    both of them after saving the config?

    gkurcon, Jun 6, 2006
  4. gkurcon

    SAto Guest

    skrev:
    There should be no need to restart the switches after this change,
    maybe a shut, no shut on the interfaces.

    -SAto

    SAto, Jun 7, 2006
  5. gkurcon

    gkurcon Guest

    It was the encapsulation on the trunks, I changed everything to dot1q
    and it's all working great now. Thanks for the tip!

    gkurcon, Jun 9, 2006