    number, but both charge £20+vat for this. Does anyone know any other UK
    VSPs that allow porting and are reliable? Also anyone got any tips for
    handling the change over to avoid potential problems? TIA

    Mike, Jan 14, 2007

  2. Mike

    N.dexter Guest

    voip.co.uk ported my Vonage number over to them last week free of
    charge and it was all sorted in less than four hours probably take
    longer with a BT line though .

    N.dexter, Jan 14, 2007

  3. Mike

    Mike Guest

    voip.co.uk would be one of my preferred vsps, but I couldn't find any
    mention of number porting on their site. Of course a vonage number is
    already a voip number, but maybe I'll email them to be sure.

    Mike, Jan 14, 2007
  4. Mike

    N.dexter Guest

    I called them and the guy said has my number was an ex freetalk number
    it would be no problem but they did have problems getting some stright
    Vonage numbers over.
    I don't know anyone who has moved a BT number over to voip.co.uk but I
    do know BT make a right ballsup moving Telewest numbers over to them,
    a friend moved over from TW to BT over a year ago now and if you ring
    his number and it is not answered TELEWEST answering service still
    kicks in .

    N.dexter, Jan 14, 2007
  5. Mike

    Linker3000 Guest

    I enquired about porting a BT number to voip.co.uk about two weeks ago
    and they said they could do it and it would take about 10-14 days.

    Linker3000, Jan 14, 2007
  6. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Did they say how much?

    Mike, Jan 15, 2007
  7. I had 2 numbers ported to voip.co.uk from BT, both free.
    It did take a while. Apparently the hold-up was at BT though.

    So far I am impressed with voip.co.uk. Support is excellent.

    Adam

    Adam Lipscombe, Jan 15, 2007
  8. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thanks Adam, that's just what I needed to know.
    Though I'm not with them myself (yet), I have noticed the many favourable
    reports here and along with voipfone it's on my list of 'good' vsp's to
    recommend to my friend. Just need to decide which ATA to recommend now.

    Mike, Jan 15, 2007
  9. Mike

    Herman Guest

    When you decide which provider/kit you are going for, you do need to be
    careful if you are doing away with the landline completely. As a bit of a
    techie, I have found the FritzBox together with multiple outbound providers
    (and voip.co.uk as inbound) to work well without a landline, but I seem to
    remember others preferred voipfone (which I haven't tried). I would also
    recommend the FritzBox for a non-technical person (once it has all been set
    up) but I think there may be a better provider than voip.co.uk for a
    non-technical person. Their dial-in voicemail is attrocious!

    Herman, Jan 15, 2007
  10. Mike

    Mike Guest

    I don't think my friend would be willing to shell out for the Fritzbox as
    it's a little pricey. As he doesn't really use the PC much, I was thinking
    along the lines of an SPA-2100 or Grandstream 486 as either would avoid the
    necessity for a separate router. Does anyone know the cheapest price for
    either of these, or suggest any alternatives?

    Mike, Jan 15, 2007
  11. Mike

    Jono Guest

    Mike explained on 15/01/2007 :
    The SPA2102 (I think) has a 10/100 WAN port, the 2100 only a 10Mb WAN
    port. Very configurable, not sure if the QoS is up to much.....not had
    to buy one for a while, so not up to speed on best prices, sorry.

    Jono, Jan 15, 2007
  12. Mike

    Herman Guest

    I have not found the 486 to be very good, and I am not sure the Firewall is
    incredibly secure. My advice is to avoid this. Linksys/Sipura devices are
    generally thought to be OK although I have no experience of the ex-sipura
    models.

    Herman, Jan 16, 2007
  13. Mike

    Brian A Guest

    Although having a PSTN connection, which you may not use, the SPA-3102
    gives better functionality as regards multiple outgoing providers - 5
    in all including the one on which you receive your calls.
    Only one incoming provider though.
    This ATA can connect to WAN and output LAN.
    Remove 'no_spam_' from email address.

    Brian A, Jan 16, 2007
  14. Mike

    Mike Guest

    Thanks for the comments guys. I'll have a look around for the best prices.

    Mike, Jan 16, 2007
  15. Mike

    Tim Guest

    That isn't a big deal, because the SPA-2100 is discontinued and has been
    for a while.

    The Qos is only upstream, afaik.

    If you want to see what the web interface looks like:
    http://www.provu.co.uk/sipura_demo/spa-2102/

    Tim

    Tim, Jan 19, 2007