VPN problems with wireless router & Microsoft MN-720 network adapter

Discussion in 'Wireless Networking' started by Mike Christie, Feb 19, 2005.

  1. I have a Linksys WRT54G wireless router. I have a laptop running
    Windows 2000 and use a Microsoft MN-720 802.11g wireless network
    adapter. I use 128-bit WEP encryption. When I connect directly to the
    internet everything works fine. However, when I use my company's VPN
    software to connect to my company internally I have intermittent Web
    access problems. Everything else works fine: Microsoft Exchange email,
    connection to network drives, instant messaging, Microsoft Netmeeting,
    etc.

    With Web access, sometimes everything works fine. Sometimes I can
    connect to my company's intranet, but not to the internet. Sometimes
    the opposite is true. Sometimes when I first start a VPN session,
    everything is fine, but after a while I lose either the internet or
    intranet. Often closing and restarting my VPN session will restore
    access. I can find no rhyme or reason to access or lack thereof.

    What is strange is that yesterday, out of extreme frustration, I
    disconnected the wireless, grabbed an Ethernet cable and plugged my
    laptop directly into the router. After that I had no problems at all
    with either intranet or internet connections.

    Is there a wireless setting on the router I should change?

    Mike Christie
    mike [at] csquared [dot] com

    Mike Christie, Feb 19, 2005

  2. Mike Christie

    S. Pidgorny Guest

    If the connectivity problems affect Web browsing only, my prime suspect
    would be the browser configuration for Web proxies. Try verious manual
    settings for your ISP/your corporate proxy, see if you'll achieve stable
    behaviour.

    I reckon the problems you have are notrelated to wireless connectivity.

    S. Pidgorny, Feb 19, 2005