Vosonic 2060 - compatability problem with Win98...please help!

Discussion in 'Digital Photography' started by S Stocks, Apr 21, 2004.

  1. S Stocks

    S Stocks Guest

    Dear All

    I am really hoping that someone can help me. I have just returned
    from an 8 month trip overseas, during which time I have stored all my
    photos on a 40GB VP2060. Obviously I am keen to have a look at all
    the photos however I have had repeated problems trying to use it with
    Win 98 PCs. I install everything as per the Users Manual, but when I
    then reboot the PC and connect the VP2060, it comes up with a "New USB
    Hardware detected" message and says that it is installing new drivers
    and then the PC freezes until the VP2060 is turned off. At this time,
    new drives appear in Window Explorer momentarily before then
    disappearing. I have had exactly the same problem with 2 Win98
    machines. I know the VP2060 is working as I have connected to a WinXP
    with no problems at all.

    Any help or suggestions at all would be much appreciated! I have, to
    date, had no luck trying to get some technical assistance from the
    manufacturer.

    Many thanks in advance
    Kind regards
    Simon Stocks

    S Stocks, Apr 21, 2004

  2. S Stocks

    Drifter Guest

    My suggestions...
    1) find a copy of Win98 Rev "B"
    or
    2) Upgrade to at least windows 2000
    or
    3) Find a friend who has at least windows 2000 and have them download
    the pictures for you.

    Win98's USB support was dicey at best, even in the "B" revisions.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, Apr 21, 2004

  3. S Stocks

    Tom Scales Guest

    There really isn't a B version of 98, that was 95. There is Windows 98 and
    Windows 98SE.

    Only the SE version properly supports USB. Most USB devices specifically
    require SE.

    Tom

    Tom Scales, Apr 22, 2004
  4. S Stocks

    Drifter Guest

    I stand corrected. Win98 "SE" is what I should have said.

    Drifter
    "I've been here, I've been there..."

    Drifter, Apr 22, 2004