    base station?

    Thanks,
    Ken

    donotemailme, Dec 8, 2005

  2. donotemailme

    Vox Humana Guest

    What hardware are you using?

    Vox Humana, Dec 8, 2005

  3. donotemailme

    donotemailme Guest

    Assuming you mean phone hardware, we haven't decided on anything yet
    but are looking into phones such as the Uniden TRU8866 and Panasonic
    KXTG6500B

    donotemailme, Dec 8, 2005
  4. donotemailme

    Vox Humana Guest

    No, I meant are you going to use a particular ATA or are you going to use a
    pc-based system like Asterisk.

    Vox Humana, Dec 8, 2005
  5. donotemailme

    donotemailme Guest

    It's going to be an adapter, whatever vonage is offering that's
    cheapest (or $0). A reconditioned Motorola VT1005RB, for example,
    which has jacks for two phone lines. I suppose if we have 3 vonage
    lines we'll need an ATA with at least 3 jacks.

    donotemailme, Dec 8, 2005
  6. donotemailme

    Vox Humana Guest

    Maybe you should look at another service. Teliax has a business package
    that allows four concurrent instances per each business DID. You could use
    Asterisk or cheap IP phones.
    https://www.teliax.com/newaccount/?r=1&cp=default

    Vox Humana, Dec 8, 2005
  7. donotemailme

    donotemailme Guest

    Okay, but why? What is wrong with what I propose?

    donotemailme, Dec 8, 2005
  8. donotemailme

    Vox Humana Guest

    I think you would have better performance, better support, and lower costs
    with a provider like Teliax. The hard-wired IP phone will have more
    features for the price. Take a look at this one which costs about the same
    as the two line cordless models you are looking at:
    http://www.telephonyware.com/telephonyware/tw00241.html

    What is Vonage charging for four DIDs and their "hunt" scheme? From what I
    have read from Vonage customers, I wouldn't want to trust my business phone
    needs to them.

    Vox Humana, Dec 8, 2005
  9. For a new office I am helping to setup, we are installing a 384k T1
    Probably, since the signal from the Vonage TA looks like any other POTS
    phone line. Each phone conversation takes about 90k so you aren't
    going to have much room for anything else if you have three phone
    conversations going on.

    But I second the suggestion that you look at other VoIP services,
    Vonage is expensive and (in my experience at least) offers dreadful
    service. There are other VoIP providers which will connect to an
    Asterisk PBX or other equipment and charge less for more features.

    John R. Levine, Dec 8, 2005
  10. On the asterisk list the wisdom was that one shouldn't trust an
    external voip supplier for the DID's when in a business setting. It
    is easy enough for a voip gateway to figure out how to roll-over a
    failed outgoing call to a backup provider. That direction is easy.
    On the incoming side there isn't a good solution. If customers are
    calling a DID that is held by an external provider and that provider
    is having a bad day, you'll lose the call.

    The recommendation was to get a PRI/T1 from the phone company and
    gateway into voip yourself (via asterisk, Cisco or similar gear).
    Unfortunately the phone company still prices PRI's like they are a
    monopoly. It will probably be a while before they are in the price
    range of home users.

    -wolfgang

    Wolfgang S. Rupprecht, Dec 8, 2005
  11. donotemailme

    Marc Popek Guest

    Marc Popek, Dec 14, 2005
  12. donotemailme

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Haven't they pulled your account yet, spammer..?

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Dec 14, 2005
  13. donotemailme

    Marc Popek Guest