  1. Canadian_eh!

    Canadian_eh! Guest

    Anyone using Vonage on a basic or "lite" version of DSL (i.e. 128K)

    Canadian_eh!, Aug 30, 2004

  2. Canadian_eh!

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <RitYc.3242$> "Canadian_eh!"
    Should be fine if you set Vonage to reduce the upstream bandwidth. It
    will negatively impact your sound quality slightly, but it's not
    significant.

    DevilsPGD, Aug 30, 2004

  3. Canadian_eh!

    charlie3 Guest

    I have Vonage set to 50kbs, the medium setting, and nobody notices
    they are talking on an internet phone.

    charlie3, Sep 2, 2004
  4. Canadian_eh!

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <>
    I've had a few people ask if I'm on a cell (mostly because they're the
    type of person that would call back on a landline to avoid wasting cell
    minutes) when I was using lower quality, but it was never an issue.

    I have plenty of upstream bandwidth, I was just trying it out for the
    sake of trying it out.

    DevilsPGD, Sep 2, 2004
  5. Canadian_eh!

    Isaiah Beard Guest

    Vonage was great for me also sound-quality wise, most of the time, and I
    noticed only very minor differences between the bandwidth settings (most
    people I was speaking to noticed nothing different). My only pet peeve
    was the Motorola ATA; it never did QoS right, even if I had the unit
    first-in-line to my cable modem. If anything else on the network was
    downloading anything of substance, the audio would get choppy, and THEN
    people would start to ask if I was on a cell phone. This was on a 4Mbps
    downstream/1.5Mbps upstream connection, so I doubt the broadband
    connection was my problem.

    I ended up switching to Packet8. The features aren't as refined and
    polished, but the service is good, and their ATA operates just fine
    behind my router even if I intentionally place a heavy traffic load on
    the network. Sound quality is about on par with Vonage at its
    low-bandwidth setting, but still useable and close enough to toll grade
    IMO. Again, people I talk to don't notice a difference.

    Isaiah Beard, Sep 2, 2004
  6. Canadian_eh!

    DevilsPGD Guest

    In message <WRHZc.2977$> Isaiah Beard
    I have both my Cisco ATA and Motorola ATA behind my network firewall
    (Only the WAN port of the Motorola is connected) -- I have my own QoS
    which reserves approximately 100Kb of my 1024Kb for VoIP at all times,
    and offers port-based QoS so that above 100Kb, outbound traffic from the
    ATAs will be processed before any other traffic.

    DevilsPGD, Sep 2, 2004