    or the snom

    i have had a good look at the phones http://www.voipfone.co.uk/shop.php
    but i cant make a decision any help and advice would be appreciated

    djboo2005, Nov 9, 2005

  2. djboo2005

    keymaster Guest

    Hi
    Snom190 - I know I have said it many times ...but its faultless and worth
    every penny. if anybody wants to buy any of the other cheaper immitations
    (such as ip-talk) that I bought to try and save money, let me know :)
    cheers
    Roy

    keymaster, Nov 9, 2005

  3. djboo2005

    David Knell Guest

    Actually, the SNOM 190 isn't faultless. We have a situation right now
    where the SNOMs don't work reliably with Asterisk where Grandstreams
    do. Here's a precis:
    When a SIP phone registers with Asterisk, the exchange goes something
    like this (ignoring the authentication stuff):
    Asterisk Phone
    << REGISTERIf the OK packet gets lost (and this is SIP/UDP, so it might well be)
    the
    SNOM a) shows itself as not registered with the server, b) doesn't
    accept
    incoming calls [not surprising, given a)], c) does not attempt to
    register
    if an outbound call is made and d) does not retry the REGISTER until
    5 minutes have passed.

    Grandstreams behave a lot better. SNOMs behave better, too, if
    Asterisk
    is patched so as not to send the TRYING response.

    I'd save a hundred quid and buy a Grandstream. Especially as the new
    ones
    don't look like they're designed for someone with poor eyesight..

    Dave

    David Knell, Nov 9, 2005
  4. djboo2005

    djboo2005 Guest

    and most of the posts i have seen don't recommend them for business
    most of the good feed back i have seen has been about the sipura's and
    the snom's my problem is i cant decide what will be best for me

    Roy you say that for you the snom has been faultless what provider do
    you use it with ?

    djboo2005, Nov 10, 2005
  5. djboo2005

    keymaster Guest

    Hi
    I use Voipfone mostly, but not exclusively. I had grandstream as one of my
    budget phones - worked ok but cheap and nasty looking and to the touch,
    plastic was that thin that at night when phone rang whole phone lit up like
    the bat phone on ancient batman series.
    I use voiphone PBX and not asterisk so couldnt possibly deny above posters
    claims.
    cheers
    Roy

    keymaster, Nov 10, 2005
  6. David Knell wrote:
    [...]
    There's nothing to be patched on server side. According to RFC 3261,
    17.1.2 a client needs to retransmit a request after 0.5s, 1s, 2s,
    4s, 4s... until it gets a final response (200..699), regardless
    the provisionals (1XX) already received.

    If you are right, Snom are wrong and they need to fix it.
    Did you check with the latest firmware release ?

    Bye,

    Virgilio Lattanzi, Nov 10, 2005
  7. Snom190 - I know I have said it many times ...but its faultless and worth
    This page http://www.provu.co.uk/snom190.html says it doesn't support
    "H.323". What does this mean in English? :)

    Thanks, Rob.

    Rob Nicholson, Nov 20, 2005
  8. H.323 is another protocol, like SIP. Most services here are SIP based
    (Voipfone, gradwell dot com, Gossiptel, VoIPtalk, etc all use SIP).

    As others have said, the SNOM range is great. They're well made, well
    featured, reliable, and easy to use to phones.

    Alex

    Alexander Mann, Nov 20, 2005