    whether the softphone is running on Android or on Windows. Why do
    voipbuster seem to want money for calls on a mobile which are
    effectively data calls?

    Allan, Jan 3, 2014

  2. Allan

    Graham. Guest

    I installed the Windows Mobile version of MobileVOIP on my son's
    Lumia, but the VOIPCheap account I used already had credit and I was
    able to make calls to actual phone numbers. I didn't try calling
    another Betamax account name as you can with the PC and MAC softphone,
    but now I think about it, could you even do that? I think you only get
    access to a numerical keypad.

    The answer to the question you posed I suspect is the usual one,
    involving "Smartphone culture".

    Graham., Jan 3, 2014

  3. Allan

    Woody Guest

    As a general rule you will not be able to make voip calls
    through any service provided by a telephone SP. For instance
    you used to be able to make voip calls through McD's free
    wi-fi, but since they farmed it out to O2 the port has been
    blocked. Similarly if you have a hotel wi-fi service
    provided by EE.

    It's the same in France where free wi-fi at the local
    Tourist Information office will usually pass voip, but if
    the wi-fi is operated by the Mairie's office (i.e the mayor)
    through Orange France (as is often the case) it too is
    blocked - unless you sign on to pay.

    Woody, Jan 6, 2014