    whether the softphone is running on Android or on Windows. Why do
    voipbuster seem to want money for calls on a mobile which are
    effectively data calls?

    Allan, Jan 3, 2014

  2. Allan

    Graham. Guest

    Re: voipbuster: VOIP computer-computer calls free but seems to want to charge for mobiles???

    On Fri, 03 Jan 2014 14:44:37 +0000, Allan <>
    wrote:

    >Got VOIP calls working (soft phone and hardphone - nice new Draytek
    >Vigor!) from computer to computer and computer to router, no cost.
    >However, if I install voipbuster's android client (MobileVOIP) on my
    >Samsung Galaxy, it doesn't seem to want to play, or seems to want
    >credit. My take is that it's all data over IP, so it's no different
    >whether the softphone is running on Android or on Windows. Why do
    >voipbuster seem to want money for calls on a mobile which are
    >effectively data calls?

    I installed the Windows Mobile version of MobileVOIP on my son's
    Lumia, but the VOIPCheap account I used already had credit and I was
    able to make calls to actual phone numbers. I didn't try calling
    another Betamax account name as you can with the PC and MAC softphone,
    but now I think about it, could you even do that? I think you only get
    access to a numerical keypad.

    The answer to the question you posed I suspect is the usual one,
    involving "Smartphone culture".
    --
    Graham.

    %Profound_observation%

    Graham., Jan 3, 2014

  3. Allan

    Woody Guest

    Re: voipbuster: VOIP computer-computer calls free but seems to want to charge for mobiles???

    "www.GymRatZ.co.uk" <>
    wrote in message news:lae6pt$c23$...
    > On 03/01/2014 14:44, Allan wrote:
    >> Got VOIP calls working (soft phone and hardphone - nice
    >> new Draytek
    >> Vigor!) from computer to computer and computer to router,
    >> no cost.
    >> However, if I install voipbuster's android client
    >> (MobileVOIP) on my
    >> Samsung Galaxy, it doesn't seem to want to play, or seems
    >> to want
    >> credit. My take is that it's all data over IP, so it's
    >> no different
    >> whether the softphone is running on Android or on
    >> Windows. Why do
    >> voipbuster seem to want money for calls on a mobile which
    >> are
    >> effectively data calls?

    > MobileVOIP has been working a treat for me and the other
    > half for as
    > long as the Galaxy S3 has been out. All from a single
    > voipcheap.co.uk
    > account. Home, Work and 2 mobiles. They did change the
    > app a while back
    > to stop you from choosing it to be the default app for
    > dialing numbers
    > for some reason so you have to dial through the app
    > contact book rather
    > than the phones inbuilt address book....
    >
    > I also thought some phone suppliers were blocking VOIP
    > traffic?
    > When the app successfully logs on to the account is will
    > display the
    > amount of credit left on the account...

    As a general rule you will not be able to make voip calls
    through any service provided by a telephone SP. For instance
    you used to be able to make voip calls through McD's free
    wi-fi, but since they farmed it out to O2 the port has been
    blocked. Similarly if you have a hotel wi-fi service
    provided by EE.

    It's the same in France where free wi-fi at the local
    Tourist Information office will usually pass voip, but if
    the wi-fi is operated by the Mairie's office (i.e the mayor)
    through Orange France (as is often the case) it too is
    blocked - unless you sign on to pay.

    --
    Woody

    harrogate three at ntlworld dot com