  1. Al Franz

    Al Franz Guest

    Any of the VOIP services support Distinctive Ringing?

    Al Franz, Mar 24, 2005

  2. Al Franz

    Rick Merrill Guest

    I think "additional users" on ATT CallVantage can have
    distinctive ring. (This is a shared single line, not a 2nd line)
    There is an additional fee too.

    Rick Merrill, Mar 24, 2005

  3. Any of the VOIP services support Distinctive Ringing?

    Lingo does, standard feature.

    John R. Levine, Mar 24, 2005
  4. Al Franz

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Depends on the equipment you're using. My Sipura SPA-2000 ATA has a choice
    of 8 different ring cadences. The Grandstream ATA-486 is limited to the US
    single ring style.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 25, 2005
  5. Al Franz

    Al Franz Guest

    Guess I don't understand how the equipment on my end will help. Doesn't the
    provider have to support some type of distinctive ringing so that you can
    have multiple phone numbers on 1 line.

    Ideally what I would like is to have several phone numbers coming into 1
    line and be able to detect which number is being called prior to answering
    the phone. Can this be done with VOIP currently or possibly in the near
    future.

    Al Franz, Mar 25, 2005
  6. Al Franz

    Vox Humana Guest

    I think there are two different kinds of "distinctive ring" being discussed.
    You are talking about something that would be implemented by the provider.
    You would have several DIDs, each directed to one line and each assigned a
    distinctive ring by the provider. Equipment like the Linksys PAP2/Sipura
    SPA2000 have a native feature called "distinctive ring." This is implemented
    on the user's end. There is a table where you assign a distinctive ring
    (from a list of 8) to a set of up to 8 incoming numbers. For instance if
    your mother call you from 555-1111 you can assign that to ring #1 and if
    your brother calls from 555-2222, you can assign that call to ring #2, and
    so on. The ATA simply looks at the CID information and if it matches a
    number on the list, the ring cadence assigned to the number is used.

    For example of how "distinctive ring" are configured on the Siprua 2000,
    take a look here:
    http://www.sipura.com/support/

    Vox Humana, Mar 25, 2005
  7. Al Franz

    Ivor Jones Guest

    What do you mean multiple phone numbers on one "line" - do you mean one
    account, one broadband connection, what..?

    The ringing cadence to the phone, assuming you're using an analogue phone
    plugged into an ATA, is generated by that ATA, not the provider. Some are
    user-programmable in this respect, some are not.
    Not into one line, at least not as far as I know. I have two phones on two
    different accounts operating through the same ATA with a different ringing
    cadence for each one.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 25, 2005
  8. Al Franz

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Not only that, but you can assign a default ring to both line 1 and line 2
    so even if you don't set a ring for a particular number as you describe,
    you can still set the line to ring in a particuar way as a default.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 25, 2005
  9. Al Franz

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    The Cisco ATA-186 supports selectable ring cadences, so you'd just need the
    selection to be indicated in the call setup. Whether any commercial VoIP
    providers do this, I don't know, but if you roll your own, you sure can.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Mar 26, 2005
  10. Al Franz

    David Floyd Guest

    I guess he means something similar to BT's CallSign in the UK.

    David

    David Floyd, Mar 26, 2005
  11. Al Franz

    Ivor Jones Guest

    Well with a Sipura SPA-2000 or similar you can have two "lines" but these
    terminate on two separate RJ11 sockets into which you plug two separate
    phones. You could use something like a BT Converse 2025 2-line phone
    though I suppose.

    Ivor

    Ivor Jones, Mar 26, 2005
  12. Al Franz

    Kyler Laird Guest

    Yeah, my answer to so many questions like this is "Suck it up and spend the
    $60-$100 for a little VoIP router." It's a tiny investment and will allow
    so much more functionality and the use of much less expensive providers.

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Mar 26, 2005
  13. I'm pretty sure SunRocket offers a number of distinctive rings with
    thier service.

    ukcats4218016, Mar 28, 2005
  14. Don't think that's possible, but you can setup multiple accounts, and
    setup you phone to use different ringtones, it the phone supports multiple
    lines.

    I'm using a Sipura SPA841 utilizing 4 accounts at 3 different providers in
    two countries, and it works great. ;-)

    Henning Wangerin, Apr 1, 2005
  15. Al Franz

    Rick Merrill Guest

    Interesting, because on our VOIP system the CID information is not
    available until the SECOND "ring". So I can't see that it could work as
    you describe under such a system.

    If you use Windows, you can look for distinctive ring info here:
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q240996&

    Rick Merrill, Apr 2, 2005
  16. Al Franz

    Kyler Laird Guest

    ....through the POTS port.
    The "trick" is to have the device use the CID as soon as it's
    available (as soon as the call is initiated) instead of waiting for
    it to finish emulating the POTS version of it.

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Apr 3, 2005