    BTW, I've purchased Linksys's WRT54GS "Broadband Router with Speed
    Booster". Any opinoins on it inconjunction with DSL and VOIP?

    Thanks

    frank, Jan 23, 2005

  2. frank

    Rick Merrill Guest

    VoiceWing from Verizon uses DSL.

    The VoIP TA (telephone adapter) goes between the modem and the
    router.

    Rick Merrill, Jan 23, 2005

  3. frank

    ahh Guest

    Far as I know you'll have to find a way to switch your modem to do PPPoe
    instead of bridge mode. In other words you modem has to enter the login &
    password instead of software.

    ahh, Jan 23, 2005
  4. It should still continue to work. I would be more worried that if you
    currently don't have a PSTN line from the phone monopoly that you will
    be required to have one. I know that in a large area of the country, the
    phone company won't sell you what is called naked DSL.

    As for how it works with DSL, one of two different ways to set it up
    usually. 1) Attach your LinkSys router to the DSL device and configure
    your router to log into the DSL PPPoE. Then, attach your VoIP ATA to the
    router. In addition, that Linksys model is supposed to have QoS built in
    (with later firmwares), and you configure it so that the VoIP ATA gets a
    certain amount of bandwidth even if you're downloading a lot. 2) The
    other option is to configure your VoIP ATA to handle the PPPoE log in.
    Some ATAs actually provide the service of a NAT device so that you can
    attach a computer, router or switch to the ATA.

    If I were you, I would choose #1.

    Tom

    Tom Grelinger, Jan 23, 2005
  5. frank

    Rick Merrill Guest

    I think you're right. Besides, DSL basicly includes a PSTN, yes? But the
    cost of LD can be 0 with VoIP.

    Rick Merrill, Jan 23, 2005
  6. frank

    frank Guest

    Thanks guys, very helpful, just the sort of info I was looking for. hadn't
    thought of the router establishing the connection, and certainly didn't
    know about the bandwidth limiting feature you speak of. I was wondering
    about just that sort of thing.

    frank, Jan 23, 2005