VoIP setup for a small business

Discussion in 'UK VOIP' started by r_mervart, Jul 20, 2005.

  1. r_mervart

    r_mervart Guest

    I am trying to establish whether my son, who is setting up a (very) small
    business, could possibly save some
    money using VoIP compared to a standard BT landline but still have a
    reliable service with comparable voice quality and without getting bogged
    down with technicalities. I am assuming that he will have a BT broadband

    All he needs, at least to start with, is an equivalent to a single BT phone
    line with basic facilities, such as answerphone and call divert, a local
    (London) number and possibly 0845 or 0870 number. Purely software solution
    dependant on a constantly running PC would not be a good idea.
    The service needs to be reliable and with voice quality comparable to a
    standard BT or NTL line without blips* or other manifestations of problems
    with data activities on the broadband connection.
    *If it could be arranged that the voice comms takes priority over any other
    broadband activity (to suspend it) without the need for human
    intervention - that could be acceptable.

    Could anyone suggest suitable service but also required equipment. Or
    should he get a standard telephone line for the time being?

    Roman

    r_mervart, Jul 20, 2005

  2. r_mervart

    John Daragon Guest

    Well, he'll need a standard PSTN line from BT before he can order ADSL
    (I'm assuming that he's not in a position to install SDSL or a leased
    line...), so any saving he makes will be on call costs.

    Voiptalk will give him an 020 7 or 020 8 inbound number for about £3 a
    month, and charge him about £0.01 a minute on outbound calls.

    He'll need an ATA box of some sort (they run from about £30 to about
    £70) or are sometimes integrated with ADSL routers, and a router that
    supports QoS (which will allow you to give priority to voice traffic).

    See http://www.draytek.co.uk/products/vigor2500v.html

    Here's the expensive part: for *good* call quality, you need packets to
    be delivered regularly. The upstream channel of ADSL is 256kbps, and in
    a domestic ADSL installation, that may be shared by 50 users. G.729
    needs about 14kbps, so you may get less quality than you expected.

    A typical "business" ADSL connection has a contention ratio of 20:1, and
    you may get away with this for one call at a time. Generally, our
    customers buy uncontended (1:1) ADSL connections, but they are running
    more extensions than you want to.

    If you'd like to give me your 'phone number by email, I can give you a
    demonstration.

    jd

    --

    John Daragon
    argv[0] limited

    John Daragon, Jul 20, 2005

  3. r_mervart

    Ian Guest

    Well he will need the BT line to get the ADSL, As to saving money it will
    depend on his calling pattern. Is he intending to work from home or an
    office? If its an office then he needs to look into serviced offices or If
    he has just left Uni, Contact them and see if they have a "Innovations"
    center (These come under many names but are Uni supported office complexs
    for start ups.

    Ian

    Ian, Jul 20, 2005
  4. r_mervart

    r_mervart Guest

    He is moving out of the accommodation provided by his employer. His flat
    will be his office.
    He left Birmingham Uni a couple of years ago and is now in London which
    rules this suggestion out.

    Roman

    r_mervart, Jul 20, 2005
  5. r_mervart

    Ian Guest

    Then he will need a BT line or a cable connection for his BB, and a voip
    supplier who is business orientated like Voiptalk or Gradwell, Both of these
    will cost him but he will get a reliable service. Any saving will depend on
    what he is intending to do, Having a voip line is ideal if there are others
    in the flat but if they are online as well then QOS will be a problem.
    Expecting to save money is not realy acheivable in th eshort to medium term
    as hardware costs will outweigh any savings.

    feel free to email or call
    to email info"AT"cyber-cottage.co.uk
    to call sip:call"AT"bathfordhill.gotdns.com

    Ian

    Ian, Jul 20, 2005
  6. r_mervart

    r_mervart Guest

    If he needs PSTN line anyway then it probably will hardly be worth his
    trouble and expense on equipment. One can make quite cheap calls using
    various telecom services such as Call 18866 , Telediscount e.t.c. At least
    on NTL cable I can, I think, keep just the broadband connection and
    disconnect the phone which would then result in more significant savings.
    Thanks
    Roman

    r_mervart, Jul 20, 2005
  7. r_mervart

    John Daragon Guest

    If he can get a cable connection then he may well not need the BT line.
    The BT analogue line is a requirement for ADSL, but not for all
    types of IP connection...

    I'm sorry, I know *nothing* about speeds and contention ratios for cable
    connections.

    jd

    John Daragon, Jul 20, 2005
  8. r_mervart

    r_mervart Guest

    I am not sure how well "cabled" London is so I assumed that he will
    have to use BT.
    Roman

    r_mervart, Jul 20, 2005
  9. samknows.com will list services available in a postcode area.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jul 20, 2005