    I'm aware that Skype does that, but would probably prefer a non-software
    solution. I also know about Vonage, but it's a bit pricy, and seems to
    require that I pay by credit card mandate - which I hate.

    JA, Jul 16, 2006

  2. JA

    Graham. Guest

    The last time I looked at this, the thing to do was to get a free Washington
    state number from www.ipkall.com and forward it (forgive the pun), to a Free
    World Dialup VoIP number.

    Graham., Jul 16, 2006

  3. Thus spaketh Graham.:

    Yes, I've been using IPKALL for at least 18 months, could be two years
    now, I have it pointed to my Sipgate service.

    {{{{{Welcome}}}}}, Jul 17, 2006
  4. Adam Aglionby, Jul 17, 2006
  5. JA

    Brian Guest

    www.callunion.com have DID numbers for the United States but from what
    say about Vonage you may not be attracted by what they charge. There is
    also www.voxbone.com. With both these companies you can configure what
    phone rings when the number is dialled.

    www.stanaphone.com gives free New York numbers when you sign up for
    their service but I think the number has to point to your Stanaphone
    account. Which is fine if they provide a reliable SIP service.

    Another idea is to give your customers one of the PSTN numbers which
    www.sipbroker.com make available in the US. You open an account at, for
    example, www.voiptalk.org, and also inform them of your Voiptalk number
    and the peering code.

    Brian.

    Brian, Jul 17, 2006
  6. We offer US numbers (and INTL ones too).

    cheers
    peter

    Peter Gradwell, Jul 17, 2006
  7. JA

    andy Guest

    As well as IPKall, see www.freedigits.com with a free Iowa number or
    paid other area codes - mine is forwarded to Voipfone SIP address.
    Forward to pstn also possible from 3c per minute, and $1.80 free
    sign-up credit

    andy, Jul 17, 2006