VOIP Recommendations coupled with business DSL or business cable (Comcast)?

Discussion in 'VOIP' started by mjb, Jul 10, 2006.

  1. mjb

    mjb Guest

    Hi,

    I am considering some sort of VOIP setup for a small office and a remote
    (ie, home) office. At the "office" location with the main servers, etc., I
    have a choice of Comcast Business Standard service (up to 7mbits down, up
    768kbits up) or DSL. On the DSL, however, because of distance from the CO,
    I am limited to the basic 1.5mbits down and 256kbits up. I want to setup a
    VOIP arrangement that tied in Asterisks (in part to learn about it and what
    it can do in practice) and some termination point with some service
    provider. Likewise, it would be nice to be able to have a remote extension
    to either (or both? - my ignorance here) the asterisks server and/or the
    service provider, such that when the line rings, it would ring at the main
    site and at the home office. I was looking at [email protected] for starters
    (or whatever the new name is). But, what I have to decide quickly is on the
    ISP. I know with VOIP, bandwidth is king. Note too, that from the office,
    I will have email in and out, some web hosting, some remore desktop
    sessions, etc, GOING OUT on the office internet connection. So, is it
    better to do the Comcast cable or the regular DSL?

    Along these lines, any recommendations on VOIP providers would be helpful.
    On the VOIP providers, I have heard so many different things, that I really
    could use some input. SunRocket is cheap, and I know someone who is trying
    it, but I hear their customer service it the pits. I know there are others
    too. Are there some more friendly to an Asterisks config than others? I
    also realize that these VOIP providers provide much (if not all) that
    Asterisks can provide, but again, I am hoping to take this opportunity to
    get a grip on Asterisks and what all it can do.

    And, fwiw, I know about the need for QoS on the router/gateway device is a
    key part of this as well.

    Thanks in advance!

    Mark

    Mark J. Bailey Jobsoft Design & Development, Inc.
    277 Wilson Pike Circle, Suite 105, Brentwood, TN 37027
    EMAIL: WEB: http://www.jobsoft.com/
    Medimation / CardShot(tm) http://www.medimation.com/
    (615)425-0932x20 FAX:(615)425-0935 CELL:(615)308-9099

    mjb, Jul 10, 2006

  2. what

    How many concurrent phone calls do you expect on average?

    Jonathan Roberts, Jul 11, 2006

  3. mjb

    mjb Guest

    just one to two except during conferencing maybe. I suspect that DSL is OK
    under these circumstances, I just hate to run into when it is not (kinda
    like that Amex commercial when the guy is over his limit on his non-Amex
    credit card at his first big business dinner). :)

    mjb, Jul 11, 2006
  4. I would agree with you on that small number of calls. However, if the cost
    difference isn't too great, I would go with the cable connection.

    Jonathan Roberts, Jul 11, 2006
  5. Some decent providers...

    www.voxee.com
    www.voipjet.com
    www.exgn.net
    www.voicestick.com (newish)

    As far as your Asterisk setup, you can interlink two boxes. However, in
    such a small environment, I'm not sure I would go to the trouble. You can
    connect to the 'office' Asterisk box from your home office just as easily as
    you can from inside the office (well, almost). You'll just need to
    configure it and your firewall/router properly.

    Jonathan

    Jonathan Roberts, Jul 11, 2006
  6. mjb

    Sharpie

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2006
    Messages:
    1
    Likes Received:
    0
    As far as customer service goes....I have dealt with Vonage,Sunrocket,and ViaTalk...and by far I would go with Viatalk..They speak english and they actually get things done...
    heres a link to some providers

    Sharpie, Jul 31, 2006