    least local service in order to use voip on there DSL,my question, is it
    true?or do i have to goback to cable? and what about people that whant
    to use cell insted of a land line?any comments please? thank's Raphy

    Evil Raphy, Jul 5, 2005

  2. in many countries you can't get a landline without a basic telephone
    service included. So having DSL necessitates having a landline
    service.

    You don't need to plug a telephone in or use it, but the cost may be
    uncompetitive compared to cable.

    A similar situation might arise if you didn't want a CableTV service
    but wanted their high speed internet servcie.

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jul 5, 2005

  3. Evil Raphy

    radar Guest

    you have to see if in your erea there is anyone who offers "naked DSL",
    that is DSL on the wire without an active dialtone from your telco.

    radar, Jul 5, 2005
  4. Evil Raphy

    John S. Guest

    Here in the states, I don't know about other countries, DSL is a tarrifed
    ADD ON to local phone service. So, yes you do have to have a local line in
    addition to the DSL. No local line, nothing to ADD to.

    John S., Jul 5, 2005
  5. Evil Raphy

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    You can get DSL without dialtone in plenty of places in the USA.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Jul 5, 2005
  6. Evil Raphy

    Kyler Laird Guest

    I was told a long time ago that DSL would always require a POTS
    line. It's a bunch of crap. Check out SpeakEasy.
    http://speakeasy.net/
    They have "OneLink" plans that don't require POTS. (I'm hoping
    they'll come to my area!)

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Jul 6, 2005
  7. but it uses a phone line ! DSL always has a line, that's what the L
    stands for.

    It may not involve having a telephone service but it "connects into
    your phone jack (Speakeasy pays the phone company for this)"

    Artists !

    Phil

    Phil Thompson, Jul 6, 2005
  8. I think this is an issue where you are going to get people arguing both
    sides becuase there may not be full understanding of the technology or
    abbreviations. I believe with DSL, you need a landline, but with
    cable, you do not. I too though am not 100% sure about that.

    ukcats4218016, Jul 6, 2005
  9. Evil Raphy

    wkearney99 Guest

    Here in the states, I don't know about other countries, DSL is a
    tarrifed
    And usually at a higher price.

    wkearney99, Jul 6, 2005
  10. Evil Raphy

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    Nope. POTS and DSL are both services that work across a pair of copper wires
    (such as, but by no means restricted to, a "phone line"). You can have one
    service or the other or both.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Jul 6, 2005
  11. Evil Raphy

    sinsrus Guest

    People confused about tech, regulations and company policy.
    Yes. But what else there that connects to your home with a telecom
    equipment? Are you going to put another pair of copper wires to most
    homes?

    In reality, DSL runs over phone line. The phone company owns the phone
    to your home. Any one wants to use it has to pay. Either you pay your
    phone company directly or anohter service provider pays the phone
    company to use the phone line.

    It seems the originator's phone company has a policy to bundle DSL and
    POTS.

    sinsrus, Jul 6, 2005
  12. Evil Raphy

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    As one counterexample, I've been involved in several installations that
    involved connecting buildings using pairs of DSL modems over copper wire
    purchased from electrical supply shops.

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Jul 6, 2005
  13. Actually, the "L" stands for "loop". Digital Subscriber Loop.
    Yes - DSL requires the use of twisted pair, which is the same *physical*
    medium used by POTS. But you *don't* have to have POTS operational in your
    home to use DSL. They are simply two separate technologies that happen to
    use the same medium.

    James

    James Calivar, Jul 6, 2005
  14. Evil Raphy

    sinsrus Guest

    So what?

    As I said in my first message: are you going to install another pair of
    wires to every single home in the land?

    You can reinvent wheel if you like. Nobody cares.

    sinsrus, Jul 6, 2005
  15. Evil Raphy

    Miguel Cruz Guest

    There is already a pair of wires to almost every single home in the land.
    What's your point? (it might help if you didn't trim out all context)

    miguel

    Miguel Cruz, Jul 6, 2005
  16. Evil Raphy

    sinsrus Guest

    As one counterexample,

    I think the confusion started from this "counterexample," You better
    explain the point of counterexample.

    sinsrus, Jul 6, 2005
  17. Evil Raphy

    radar Guest

    Well, to demystify you here it is: with DSL you don't need a
    dialtone/landline account IF your area allows it. It is called "naked
    DSL" in some areas but depends on the state/province/city you're in
    (yeah, I covered US & Canada on that one).

    radar, Jul 6, 2005
  18. Evil Raphy

    Kyler Laird Guest

    Congratulations.

    If they original question (which I quoted and you snipped and
    apparently ignored) had been "i have to get at least a line in
    order to use voip on there DSL,my question, is it true?" instead
    of "i have to get at least local service in order to use voip on
    there DSL,my question, is it true?" you might have provided some
    useful information.
    There was a time when it meant "loop".

    --kyler

    Kyler Laird, Jul 7, 2005